Reload this Page >

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:44 am

Hoping for some help deciding between resorts. My wife and I will be in the Maldives for five nights at the very beginning of March and have narrowed it down to Huvafen Fushi, Maalifushi by COMO and Cocoa Island by COMO.

Things that are important to us, in no particular order:

- Decent snorkeling on site
- Decent beach for those staying in over water accommodations
- Would love to not have to wait around all day for our room to be ready upon arrival (we get into MLE at 6am)

Two more specific questions:

1. Any thoughts on the FB or HB packages at the COMO properties?

2. Any thoughts on whether Huvafen is looking dated or shabby lately?

Thanks so much everyone!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:33 pm

Little confused on Maldives, still (FYI going to Amanoi after , which I already prepaid for)

I currently have 10 nights blocked in Maldives.

As of now, I have the Anatara Kihavah booked.

HOWEVER, Soneva Fushi has the following offer, immediate upgrade, H/B, all taxes, etc.

It makes it rougly the same price as Anatara, but half board basis and an immediate upgrade., hence, if I book a crusoe villa with pool, get upgraded to crusoe suite.

What are the thoughts of each? same general area, but Anatara is more modern? are there any other glarding differences or shoudl i stick to what i have?

To that end, im down to the following choices

a)5 nights Anatara/ 5 nights Gili

b) 5 nights Anatara/ 5 nights Jumeriah

c) 5 nights Jumeriah / 5 nights Gili

d) 7 nights Soneva OR Anatara/3 nights Jumeriah

Im really leaning towards options c or d. I dont want to go to Soneva and then Gili, given the architecture is identical
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:23 pm

i did 7 nights in maldives, 4 maalifushi, 3 cocoa island, message me if i can be of help!

maalifushi
- feels like you're on a deserted island and there are few people around
- rooms feel like a getaway and feel brand new
- service feels more like island service - down to earth friendly

cocoa island
- reef is 100x better than maalifushi house reef
- rooms feel dated for maldives
- service is less polished, waiters feel a bit more commercial

food is about the same at both

to me they're just different vibes. to me maalifushi was a romantic secluded island getaway and cocoa island had great snorkeling, but felt more like a "resort"

Originally Posted by aerialfish
Hoping for some help deciding between resorts. My wife and I will be in the Maldives for five nights at the very beginning of March and have narrowed it down to Huvafen Fushi, Maalifushi by COMO and Cocoa Island by COMO.

- Would love to not have to wait around all day for our room to be ready upon arrival (we get into MLE at 6am)

Thanks so much everyone!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by aerialfish

Thanks so much everyone!
Huvafen Fushi is looking incredibly tired. I would stick with COMO.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Huvafen Fushi is looking incredibly tired. I would stick with COMO.
I know you've discussed my surprise at being a huge fan of Huvafen before, but out of curiosity, when did you last go there?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Soneva Fushi

Visiting the Maldives shortly (have been there before) and some suggested Soneva Fushi to me. I do realize it has fantastic reviews everywhere, but to me it seems very dated, the rooms very basic and the architecture quite rudimentary, to put it politely. Is it really worth the price tag given the other options out there in the meantime? Also, I understand the owners sold off most of their group (other than the two Sonevas) a few years back due to financial issues, does that have any impact on standards at the resort? Thanks for some feedback!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Wtravel
Visiting the Maldives shortly (have been there before) and some suggested Soneva Fushi to me. I do realize it has fantastic reviews everywhere, but to me it seems very dated, the rooms very basic and the architecture quite rudimentary, to put it politely. Is it really worth the price tag given the other options out there in the meantime? Also, I understand the owners sold off most of their group (other than the two Sonevas) a few years back due to financial issues, does that have any impact on standards at the resort? Thanks for some feedback!
What are you looking for? Soneva Fushi goes for a Robinson Crusoe look. If you want that, it's exactly what you want — sort of primitive luxury.

If you want a more elegant, polished look, go for One&Only Reethi Rah, Velaa Private Island, or Cheval Blanc (among others).
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I know you've discussed my surprise at being a huge fan of Huvafen before, but out of curiosity, when did you last go there?
Last year.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:43 pm

I have a question about Cheval Blanc. I am booked there currently. I actually heard back from dive center today and was quoted a price of $200 a day, PER PERSON, for diving. This seems ridiculous.

IF anyone has been there, can they comment on diving/snorkeling? I know theres no house reef. I was told that they have 3 dive sites closeby, and thats the only ones they go to. If I wanted to go to a further site, I need to charter a boat ($1250 / 4 hours, no including gear).

So a lot of cost involved.

The rate I am paying is roughly the same as Anantara Kihavah / Jumeriah Dhavenfushi, though food is not included (I was quoted Half Board at the above too). My concern here is diving/snorkeling, as there is no house reef and the dive costs are so high.

Can anyone who stayed there comment on this? Before I pay the deposit
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
What are you looking for? Soneva Fushi goes for a Robinson Crusoe look. If you want that, it's exactly what you want — sort of primitive luxury.

If you want a more elegant, polished look, go for One&Only Reethi Rah, Velaa Private Island, or Cheval Blanc (among others).
I understand that (I was was at Cheval Blanc last year). My concern is that it is that the primitive outweighs the luxury (something can have a robinson crusoe look and feel but still be stylish) for the price tag ;-) Actually thought of considering it because I get some nights free, but would add on another few as not worth the hassle otherwise, even when combining with another resort.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
I have a question about Cheval Blanc. I am booked there currently. I actually heard back from dive center today and was quoted a price of $200 a day, PER PERSON, for diving. This seems ridiculous.

IF anyone has been there, can they comment on diving/snorkeling? I know theres no house reef. I was told that they have 3 dive sites closeby, and thats the only ones they go to. If I wanted to go to a further site, I need to charter a boat ($1250 / 4 hours, no including gear).

The rate I am paying is roughly the same as Anantara Kihavah / Jumeriah Dhavenfushi, though food is not included (I was quoted Half Board at the above too). My concern here is diving/snorkeling, as there is no house reef and the dive costs are so high.

Stayed there last year and only went snorkeling, as we had the kids with us. Even for that we had to take the boat out for over half an hour, and the reef/area wasn't great (even took nearly an hour to do some basic evening line fishing). As to diving, heard from some other guests there at the time who didn't think the closer diving sites were that great. But then again CB is not know for diving, their focus is more on luxury relaxation and not many people were diving while we were there. So if your main reason for visiting the Maldives is diving, you may be better off elsewhere. As to prices, everything there is at the highest end of the scale (and, quite frankly, not always adequate value for money; but that goes for a bunch of other places in the Maldives as well), but given that it is one of the most expensive resorts quite comparable to its peers.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15

If diving is a priority, have you considered the Four Seasons Explorer, maybe in combination with one or both of the Four Season hotels?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by theory26
anybody been to amilla fushi? went to maldives in december of last year, stayed at como maalifushi and como cocoa island for 7 nights total (did the package). i booked amilla fushi for this coming december because all the cool kids and fashion bloggers appear to go there, but pretty nervous that i don't see anyone on flyertalk going there! hoping amilla fushi has a reef like cocoa island with the gorgeous new accommodations, spaciousness and service of maalifushi. cocoa island was awesome, but it felt more like a "resort" than maalifushi. i was thinking about o&o too but the reviews are looking worse and worse as every year passes.
Sorry for the late response, but we just got back from Amilla Fushi. Pretty much nothing but good things to say (snorkelling is amazing, rooms are huge and very nice if your design taste runs to modern, food is good, spa is really good) with the exception of some rough spots on service. Where rough spots means they don't really meet Aman like standards for transparent, consistent, excellent service. I haven't been anywhere else in the Maldives, but talked to several guests that have and they rated Amilla as their favourite. It might be a stretch to call it good value (like anything luxury in the Maldives) but we would return in a heart beat. I would also book an OWB if budget is an issue at all -- we had a beach house and loved it but I am not sure it is worth the additional cost vs an OWB (nearly double). I may do up a more detailed review if I can find time, but if you have specific questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:31 pm

Ill be at Jumeriah Dhaven towards the end of September, not splitting time with Anantara. They were ablle to give an upgrade on booking, so not bad. It looks nice! I will be in a beach revive (second category).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Can someone comment on the level of tranquility at resorts like Reethi Rah that seem to offer a lot of activities for families/children?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.