Reload this Page >

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:41 pm

The Maldives are not a place where I would stay for less than a week if visiting one resort, or ten days if splitting between two resorts (a minimum of five nights at each resort).

Transfer costs will negate your "free nights" at some of these places. You're better off choosing one resort and paying for additional nights.

Seven nights at a place like Anantara Kihavah could be a good choice...

Naladhu makes no sense. Mention of free nights and transfer costs implies budget. Naladhu is an expensive resort, and for that matter has not gotten rave reviews.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 10, 2015 at 10:09 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The Maldives are not a place where I would stay for less than a week if visiting one resort, or ten days if splitting between two resorts (a minimum of five nights at each resort).

Transfer costs will negate your "free nights" at some of these places. You're better off choosing one resort and paying for additional nights.

Seven nights at a place like Anantara Kihavah could be a good choice...

Naladhu makes no sense. Mention of free nights and transfer costs implies budget. Naladhu is an expensive resort, and for that matter has not gotten rave reviews.

Thank you all very much for your input
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree with that. We have split stays of 12 to 14 days quite a few times. Never for stays of a 8 days or less.

Each time (with one exception*) it required a transfer to Male and onward connection to the next resort. Usually these were air transfers, so involved a fair bit of time spent cooling our heels at MLE domestic terminal. Even though transfers have become a lot slicker over the years I pretty much write off a day for them and think of the trip as an "excursion".

* The sole exception was when we managed to oraganise a dhoni transfer between 2 islands that were fairly close to each other in South Ari Atoll. The resorts in question refused to contemplate a straight island-to-island transfer before we got there. So we booked air transfers via MLE. Once at the first resort we managed organise the dhoni transfer at a very reasonable cost. But we just had to eat up the pre-paid cost of the airfares. It was worth it for the saving in time and aggravation. And also for the luxury of puttering along on the perfect azure waters aboard our own private dhoni for a couple of hours.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I once combined some SLH free nights with some LHW free nights and both return transfers were free. The two resorts arranged the transfers so that one boat was waiting for me in Male when the other one arrived. Very efficient.

I thought 3 nights each was enough, but of course we could have easily stayed longer (at least in one of them).
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
I have done this before as well, but agree with others to spend at least 4-5 nights at each resort.
The resorts seem to be quite used to this and will usually offer to arrange departure / arrival times to and from Male between each other directly. If you have a specific time preference (e.g. Depart early morning in first resort) ensure you request this and let them know you would appreciate to minimise waiting time in Male (of which there will inevitably be some).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
I have been to the Maldives 5 times on my own and usually have a limited time - about 5 nights each trip. Being a resort junkie I will try 2 resorts each trip and therefore usually spend only 2/3 nights at each resort. Yes the transfer costs are significant but that's how I travel.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:29 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Everyone is very judgmental on this one! I personally wouldn't want to spend less than 3-4 nights in any resort in order to visit more than one resort in the Maldives, even if free, unless the cost of transfers was less than the paid nights. But other people are on different budgets and have different priorities and preferences. I can understand how some might prefer to do this--and how it can still save them money. (Maybe not time, but some people like the transit experience!)

If diving is a priority, you will want to stay longer at any one resort--due to the 12-24 hour rule with flying and diving.

For us as divers, we like the idea of visiting more than 1 property in the Maldives, simply to give us better chances to have different dive experiences.

For 2017, we plan to do the FS Explorer "live-aboard" for 7 nights, probably with an extra night or two at the FS KH--simply to let us maximize the diving opportunities on the Explorer for all 7 days. We also plan to extend our Maldives stay with the upcoming St Regis Vammuli Island (expected opening in 2016), since the FS KH gives us easy access to Male Airport, anyway--and because the StR will be located in a dive locale that has no other luxe resorts anywhere in the vicinity and is largely untapped for diving except by other live-aboards.

But we also are considering an add on of 4 nights at the Park Hyatt, since the Chase Hyatt credit card gives 2 free nights at any Hyatt--and each of us getting that card gives us 4 nights to blow at the Park Hyatt there. Whether it's worth it for us to get there or not and get enough diving in, I'm not sure yet. But it will depend on our award tickets to the Maldives and how many nights we have to play with. We'll have to see what the transit times look like for StR-Male-PH before deciding whether it's worth it to us.

So even we will consider it for 4 nights--but only because we might enjoy the diving around the Park Hyatt, which is supposed to be in another great dive locale.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:54 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Hotel Review - Short Stay: Six Senses Laamu, Maldives

Tried to post using the "New Review Thread" but failed - it wouldn't let me hit submit. Plus uploading photos was so much harder....

Visited in January 2015

Disclaimer: I was hosted by Six Senses Laamu on an all-inclusive basis for 3-nights for a media review. Opinions expressed below are my own - I am under no obligation to do a review on FlyerTalk.

ARRIVAL
Flying in from Mumbai, this was a difficult arrival (don't ever make the mistake of thinking like me that just because Maldives is close to India, it'll be an easy enough flight).

No direct flights from Mumbai, so I had to fly to Kochi, then to Male. Of course, Six Senses being so far away from Male, I had to take a domestic air transfer to Khadhdhoo Airport (40 minutes to 1 hour depending on if there are stopovers), and from there a short (15-20 min) speedboat ride to the resort. There's a common lounge that visitors can use at Male Airport which is ok - not quite the same as having a personal hotel lounge.

If you thought the scheduled seaplanes were bad, the domestic terminals (remember, no personal lounges) and domestic planes are even worse!

I left my home in Mumbai at 5AM to catch the early flight (which was inevitably delayed) and actually set foot at the resort at 8PM. Made worse by the fact that each stopover required a 1-2 hour layover at least.

CHECK IN
Having finally stepped foot at the resort, it was great to be in paradise. Not the worst way to end a 10+ hour journey I suppose!

At the arrival jetty, the General Manager plus key staff were present, including the Guest Experience Maker assigned to your villa that will help with your every need (issues with the room, reservations for lunch, dinner, excursions and activities)

We were checked in at the villa - on the other side of the island from the arrival jetty. We were in an Ocean Beach Villa.

In keeping with the Six Senses/Soneva barefoot policy, we removed our footwear on the boat and kept it in a bag for the duration of our stay. It took getting used to initially, but after a while it was very refreshing to have our soles and heels touch the bare earth and the fine sand. There are water pails all over the resort so if it ever gets too hot, you can cool your feet down with it. However, I wouldn't recommend walking barefoot over the long overwater jetties in the searing sun. Its scorchign (and takes more than getting used to).

Thankfully, the resort also provides each villa with its own custom-initial-plated two-wheel cycle.

ROOM
The villa is very spacious, but the bedroom itself is not big (and multi-leveled which is a bit annoying) - most of the space is dedicated to the extremely oversized outdoor shower area (which might be bigger than the bedroom itself), and some towards the upper deck/terrace. Also, there is a nice portion outside the villa with a shaded outdoor sofa, leading to a stretch of practically private beach, with a couple of sun loungers.

The outdoor shower area is great - the stone bath tub is fantastic (would be nicer with a view I suppose), but why there is the need for TWO separate showers I do not know, considering both are outdoor anyway...

The decor is typical Six Senses - very rustic, with the modern amenities like TVs well hidden from plain sight or viewing. Personally, I love the decor and the rustic feel of the Six Senses, but it can become a bit too much, especially if you aren't used to it and are staying for an extended period of time, it can be a bit too bare.

SERVICE
Service was always warm and pleasant throughout. One impressive part was when I was chatting briefly with my GEM the morning after checking-in and mentioned that I actually do not know how to ride a cycle (!), when I went back to my villa after breakfast, mine was replaced with a smaller 2-wheeler with support.

Overall, I'd say service was good, but rarely ever exceptional.

DINING
Plenty of dining options - overall fairly consistent, nothing that stands out apart from Zen, but from my poor dining experience at the W last time around, overall still very much a good improvement.

Longtitude - the breakfast space. Good breakfast spread. A la carte dinner, but on some days they do special themed nights (seafood buffet night). International mix menu.

LEAF - the signature fine dining restaurant. Food was okay, I thought this was the biggest letdown, trying too hard in its presentation and style than the taste.

SIP SIP - casual mixed menu and light foods.

Chill Bar - mostly drinks, but some very light snacks to go with it. Does do light lunches too, Vietnamese style.

My favourite was ZEN - Japanese kaiseki style, fresh seafood - great catch, some of the best tuna I've had. Nothing overtly authentic Japanese about it, but very good seafood nonetheless.

The Ice Cream Bar (and chocolate next door) is very unique though and most refreshing.

Knowing that Laamu is almost as far away as it gets from Male, I was excited to be in a very secluded environment - but that is not necessarily the case. Khadhoo and a couple of islands nearby (habited) mean its not as secluded as first imagined.

Additionally, I'm not a professional diver or expert snorkeler, but while the house reef is decent, its not one of Maldives' best.

Having said that, it's still a beautiful location - the island is quite big (as is the resort - 97 villas in total - but the overwater jetty is not overcrowded as its split into three sections - the first jetty, Jetty A, more overwater villas than the other two).

The resort also has a private sandbank nearby which is gorgeous. And surfers will love the resort for its surf break.

POOL
Only months prior to my visit, Six Senses Laamu did not have a public pool. They've added one now, an odd-blob shaped pool near the activities centre. I didn't go for a dip personally, but it's a decent hangout spot. From people I've spoken to, they have mixed feelings about this pool - many feel it was an unnecessary addition.

SPA
Here they truly excel. "Spa nests" are woven out of vines and other material within the vegetation - some have truly stunning sea views, others jungle views. There are couples rooms as well. Unfortunately I didn't try out one of the treatments, but the atmosphere and decor of the spa was fantastic.

BEACH
The sand at various parts of the resort varies quite a bit. Out by our villa, the ocean beach villa, its white but rougher. Might be a seasonal thing?

By the main restaurant area and in between Jetty A and B is at its finest.

OVERALL
I also did a site visit of several types of villas. From earlier and official photos, I got the impression that the Overwater villas looked rather cramped in style. However, having visited and checked them out, while they are much smaller in size (just over 100 sqm), I never got that cramped impression I did from the photos. The villas with pools in particular are absolutely stunning.

Overall, it's a very good resort and especially for those who like theirs a little rustic with lots of on-site conservation activities as well as other engaging activities, one worth visiting.

Here to entertain questions if you have any

I'll add photos in the following post.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Aug 1, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
COMMON AREAS AND RESTAURANTS

ROOMS

SPA

Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Looks fantastic !
Did you feel 3 nights was enough ?

How does this compare to COMO Maalifushi which I believe also tries to go for a rustic decor/design to those that have compared both and ultimately chose one or the other ?

Would you (or anyone) recommend this resort for first time visitors to the Maldives ?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The spa nests are a fantastic concept. A shame you didn't get the chance for a treatment. I'm guessing the villa's washroom is also outside too?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Looks fantastic !

How does this compare to COMO Maalifushi which I believe also tries to go for a rustic decor/design to those that have compared both and ultimately chose one or the other ?

Would you (or anyone) recommend this resort for first time visitors to the Maldives ?
It rained a whole day (quite odd in the middle of January!) so 3 nights definitely wasn't enough. I've seen photos of COMO Maalifushi but I'll leave the comparisons to someone who has been to both.

I'd definitely recommend this resort for first time visitors to Maldives - but it is for a certain type of visitor. It doesn't have the glam of the One&Only or the polished look of a Cheval Blanc of course. But definitely four nights+.

Originally Posted by Aventine
The spa nests are a fantastic concept. A shame you didn't get the chance for a treatment. I'm guessing the villa's washroom is also outside too?
I should have done a spa treatment on the day it rained!

The washroom situation is a bit weird. So I mentioned the multi-layered bedroom - the entrance leads into the twin vanities (the toilet in the door behind that); bed in front but at a 'false-level' below it. The outdoor bathroom is to the left from the entry.

This might give you a better idea (not my pics):

This is a water villa I think, but you get the picture.

The two things you see popping out behind the bed are part of the sinks.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks for the details deathscar. A very unconventional bathroom setup!

The green furniture topper pieces seem a bit out of place. Different than the usually sandy beige or brown and a bit gaudy IMO.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Looks fantastic !

I have been to 6S and to Maalifushi. Maalifushi all the way, and its really not even close. Nicer rooms plus the feeling of upmost "seclusion". The drawback to 6S is the proxmity to local islands, so it doesn't really feel like you are escaping reality that much when you see locals boating past the 6S all the time.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:33 pm

Nothing about Maalifushi screams rustic like Six Senses. It's quite nice; perhaps a bit anodyne, but nice nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.