Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Hope Cohen
Hi booking a hotel now - was between Velaa and four seasons Giraavsru. We like 5+* resorts and more contemporary hotels but also want excellent snorkeling and diving nearby. Has anyone stayed at the four seasons recently? It's gotten excellent reviews. Thanks
Easy -- Four Seasons. Many of the resorts that feature 'private' in their name are more show than substance. Velaa, Fregate, etc.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
We will be trying out this all new resort, Milaidhoo.. checking in March 27th.

So far been positive discussions from the TA forums, look forward to it and hope it's all that we hoped..
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
I am looking to book a 10-day beach vacation in September, was thinking Puri but am settling on Maldives. I have been to FSKH (twice) and FSLG (once), both of which I truly loved, but wanted to try something else this time.

In particular, I have narrowed it down to: Como Maalifushi, Jumeirah Dhevanafushi and Huvafen Fushi. I value contemporary design, relatively new hard product, secluded feeling and decent food. For these reasons, I am currently thinking Maalifushi.

Any advice?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:48 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We loved maalifushi, and the food is superb. Of course it's not in the same league as iniala, which might be worth looking at.

A Water villa is an absolute must.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:56 pm
DSI

Originally Posted by scented
Easy -- Four Seasons. Many of the resorts that feature 'private' in their name are more show than substance. Velaa, Fregate, etc.
I thought fregate was private! We spent two weeks there two years ago.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by DSI
We loved maalifushi, and the food is superb. Of course it's not in the same league as iniala, which might be worth looking at.

A Water villa is an absolute must.
Thank you, very useful.
I probably am the only person in the world who prefers beach villas to overwater ones. Do you happen to have an opinion on Maalifushi's beach villas, by any chance?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:33 pm
DSI

Good question, though my memory is a little fuzzy. We went during the tailend of the soft opening, and so some of the villas needed to be finished. We initially had a beach villa but the view was towards the unfinished overwater villas, some of which still had some sort of white finish, like a primer, before they were finished. So the view wasn't great and we requested to be moved to a water villa since the resort was pretty empty.

The interiors are the same as I recall and they were close to the beach. But the sand at Maalifushi is a bit rough (or was, perhaps because of some construction), so I would opt for a water villa there. The sand was much better at Cocoa island. Those were the only two places we've been to in the Maldives, so I'm not an expert like others on this forum.

The food was SUPERB. It really, really, really was as were the cocktails. Perhaps better than any other resort we've ever been to in fact.

I would say the design is more transitional, with a slight contemporary edge. A little basic and not of the highest quality, but nice nevertheless.

Service was top notch, too.

We were debating between there, chevel blanc and the two four seasons resorts and I was not disappointed at all. Now, I'd go to Soneva Jani, though--the water slide looks awesome.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:36 pm
DSI

Originally Posted by scented
Fregate was very private for us. Very. We spent two weeks there two years ago. We had a great butler, Thushanta (sp?), the same one that Pauljeff had in fact.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by DSI
Good question, though my memory is a little fuzzy. We went during the tailend of the soft opening, and so some of the villas needed to be finished. We initially had a beach villa but the view was towards the unfinished overwater villas, some of which still had some sort of white finish, like a primer, before they were finished. So the view wasn't great and we requested to be moved to a water villa since the resort was pretty empty.

The interiors are the same as I recall and they were close to the beach. But the sand at Maalifushi is a bit rough (or was, perhaps because of some construction), so I would opt for a water villa there. The sand was much better at Cocoa island. Those were the only two places we've been to in the Maldives, so I'm not an expert like others on this forum.

The food was SUPERB. It really, really, really was as were the cocktails. Perhaps better than any other resort we've ever been to in fact.

I would say the design is more transitional, with a slight contemporary edge. A little basic and not of the highest quality, but nice nevertheless.

Service was top notch, too.

We were debating between there, chevel blanc and the two four seasons resorts and I was not disappointed at all. Now, I'd go to Soneva Jani, though--the water slide looks awesome.
Excellent, thank you. I will most likely opt for Maalifushi at this stage, then, and will do some more research into the water villa / beach villa point.

Soneva Jani (and Iniala, following your comments of a while back) are both on my bucket list.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:57 pm
DSI

One of the great things about the water villa we had was that it had a great view of a very interesting wave. It broke too quickly to surf, but I would just spend hours watching it barrel quickly and for the air to spit out the side. We went during June, so there was more southernly swell activity, but the view was at that point the best I'd ever seen.

The water villas towards the end that were attached to the sushi restaurant, on the opposite side of the restaurant, was where we were at and it was better than the other villas I think. We just got lucky.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:14 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I am looking to book a 10-day beach vacation in September, was thinking Puri but am settling on Maldives. I have been to FSKH (twice) and FSLG (once), both of which I truly loved, but wanted to try something else this time.

In particular, I have narrowed it down to: Como Maalifushi, Jumeirah Dhevanafushi and Huvafen Fushi. I value contemporary design, relatively new hard product, secluded feeling and decent food. For these reasons, I am currently thinking Maalifushi.

Any advice?
Maalifushi is doing a fantastic Stay 4/Pay 3 offer which is combinable with a few other things and is extremely competitively priced. Can also potentially ask for upgrade from Water Suite to Water Villa. Have a look
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:14 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thank you, very useful.
I probably am the only person in the world who prefers beach villas to overwater ones. Do you happen to have an opinion on Maalifushi's beach villas, by any chance?
I'm a beach villa person myself too. Any time over water villa
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:28 pm

Any advice?
Been to all (3). HF is a bit outdated and tired now.

You should combine Maalifushi and JD, especially for 10 days. Both of the atolls are very unique and offer different marine life. JD villas are more private / secluded than Maalifushi but Maalifushi has better food.

Let me know if you have any more particular questions.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:42 am

Soneva Jani (and Iniala, following your comments of a while back) are both on my bucket list.
I will be at Jani in 10 days. Will update. So far I think only @luxurytravelexpert reported on Jani and he was seriously impressed.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:57 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Maalifushi is doing a fantastic Stay 4/Pay 3 offer which is combinable with a few other things and is extremely competitively priced. Can also potentially ask for upgrade from Water Suite to Water Villa. Have a look
Yeah, we booked this and also got free half board and 50% off the seaplane transfer. The price was almost half compared to Cheval Blanc, which tipped the scales in Maalifushi's favor.

I have been in extensive contact with the hotel since to plan and given them our preferences and it has been a great experience. They are quick to respond, feel absolutely genuine and have been very accommodating and helpful.

Planning on doing a report on it once I'm back in a few weeks. If anyone wants me to investigate anything in particular when we are there, let me know. We will have both beach and water villas, so I'll make sure to compare them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.