Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by DSI
One of the great things about the water villa we had was that it had a great view of a very interesting wave. It broke too quickly to surf, but I would just spend hours watching it barrel quickly and for the air to spit out the side. We went during June, so there was more southernly swell activity, but the view was at that point the best I'd ever seen.

The water villas towards the end that were attached to the sushi restaurant, on the opposite side of the restaurant, was where we were at and it was better than the other villas I think. We just got lucky.
How was the weather in June? I imagine still reasonably sunny and bright?
I have always only been during Jan / Feb.

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Maalifushi is doing a fantastic Stay 4/Pay 3 offer which is combinable with a few other things and is extremely competitively priced. Can also potentially ask for upgrade from Water Suite to Water Villa. Have a look
Got it. You are referring to the EXTEND THAT MAALIFUSHI FEELING rate (stay 7, pay 5), right? It does look like great value, also because they include half board on paid nights.

Originally Posted by surftb15
Been to all (3). HF is a bit outdated and tired now.

You should combine Maalifushi and JD, especially for 10 days. Both of the atolls are very unique and offer different marine life. JD villas are more private / secluded than Maalifushi but Maalifushi has better food.

Let me know if you have any more particular questions.
Thank you, very useful. I imagine that transfers between Maalifushi and Dhevanafushi would have to be routed through Male, which in turn would make it a bit cumbersome given that you need to board a plane for both resorts. Or am I off?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

could check boat transfers as well as GAN(-CMB) airport
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post26788474
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post27739170 via CMB
although MLE has BA seasonal back, and AF adding
(also AZ and LH regional adding recently as well)

reethi rah has the largest island
when is jani building beachfront?

Originally Posted by Epicura
high demand [new and so few villas]

Jani is about 40 mins by speedboat from LHW Kanuhura (ex O&O)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 11, 2017 at 8:57 am
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
when is jani building beachfront?
I don't know but will ask once I am there. Most of the watervilla's should be finished now, especially since the resort is in high demand (we were waitlisted to extend from 4 to 7 nights but managed).

FYI: Jani is about 40 mins by speedboat from LHW Kanuhura (ex O&O). Not in the same league as Jani but Kanuhura has been entirely renovated and looks quite nice. Perhaps an interesting choice for LC members and/or for anyone looking to combine at least 2 resorts. There's also a complimentary speedboat between Soneva Jani and Fushi but Fushi had zero appeal to me.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
Got it. You are referring to the EXTEND THAT MAALIFUSHI FEELING rate (stay 7, pay 5), right? It does look like great value, also because they include half board on paid nights.
Yes, and if you book early enough, the seaplane transfers are 50% off as well. The Stay 4/Pay 3 also includes half-board too, as does the extended version.

Usually comes with upgrades and a spa treatment or something too (check with your agent or negotiate it with them).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Yes, and if you book early enough, the seaplane transfers are 50% off as well. The Stay 4/Pay 3 also includes half-board too, as does the extended version.

Usually comes with upgrades and a spa treatment or something too (check with your agent or negotiate it with them).
That's great to know, thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:27 pm

Just noticed this posted on the UK travel advice website:

Summary - On 24 July 2017, Maldivian military blockaded parliament and forcefully removed MPs from the building, leading to a disturbance around the parliament building (Majlis) area in Malé. Previous demonstrations and political protests have led to violence and arrests.
Can anyone comment on whether this is likely to disrupt travel? I was planning on booking a holiday at Maalifushi for next month.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders

Can anyone comment on whether this is likely to disrupt travel? I was planning on booking a holiday at Maalifushi for next month.
You'll never leave the airport in Male — just going from your international flight to a small plane. Doubt anyone at Maalifushi would have any awareness of anything going on in the capital city.

The motto for the Maldives seems to be: No News, No Shoes!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I'm very tempted to change plans and go to the Maldives in late-August / early-September instead of Aman Sveti Stefan but I know the weather is not good at this time. O&O has a great half-board, buy 5 get 7, with complementary seaplane transfers, but if it's going to rain the whole time, obviously not worth it.

I should just leave my plans alone .
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I'm very tempted to change plans and go to the Maldives in late-August / early-September instead of Aman Sveti Stefan but I know the weather is not good at this time. O&O has a great half-board, buy 5 get 7, with complementary seaplane transfers, but if it's going to rain the whole time, obviously not worth it.

I should just leave my plans alone .
It very likely won't rain the whole time. I've been to the Maldives in June, September, over Christmas and February. The only time we haven't had rain was in February. The worst time for rain was over Christmas! June was great (10 minutes of rain during a 10 night stay) and September we only had rain early evening. I think if you go in August or September you will see some rain but still get a lot of sun. At the end of the day it's the tropics and these islands aren't so lush with vegetation because they don't get a lot of rain. Reethi Rah is our favourite resort in the Maldives and I've always found the North Male Atoll to have better weather than the say the South Ari. I'm pretty sure you'd have an awesome time!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Arrived at the airport on July 26 and didn't notice anything at all, transfer to Maalifushi was spotless. Enjoying the view from our villa as I type this.

Regarding rain, we've been lucky so far. Had a shower yesterday, but apart from that mostly sun so far. A bit of clouds as well, but nothing to complain about.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:27 pm

I have a Maldives question; does anybody know whatever happened to the Viceroy in the Maldives? Why did it close? I wonder what happens to abandoned resorts like this that aren't reflagged but just simply abandoned.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:33 pm

BTW - Jumeirah Dhavenefushi is going to become a Raffles, its not under Accor and theyre closing it to reopen as a Raffles.

Outrigger was once going to be Raffles too.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:37 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by jonjparr
I have a Maldives question; does anybody know whatever happened to the Viceroy in the Maldives? Why did it close? I wonder what happens to abandoned resorts like this that aren't reflagged but just simply abandoned.
Wow had completely forgotten that resort even existed!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
BTW - Jumeirah Dhavenefushi is going to become a Raffles, its not under Accor and theyre closing it to reopen as a Raffles.

Outrigger was once going to be Raffles too.
Interesting! I've always thought it was more difficult for the resorts that required a domestic flight to be a success. I think the Park Hyatt manages that because of the sheer volume of guests on points stays. Dhevanafushi was always on my list as the hard product looked phenomenal. I wonder what it will be like as a Raffles!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:44 pm

Wow had completely forgotten that resort even existed!
I know! I suddenly remembered about it yesterday evening. I wonder what it would be like to visit an abandoned resort. Do they just leave all the infrastructure in place? From what I've heard it just wasn't financially viable to continue and that's why they closed it. It didn't have the best of feedback on TA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.