THE Hotel not to be missed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THE Hotel not to be missed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Awasi Atacama/Patagonia. Both are spectacular. The Patagonia one is more striking due to its location and villa design, but the highlight is really the amazing excursions for both places.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:28 pm

Singita Boulders/ebony
Singita sasakwa
Cheval Blanc Randheli
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:19 am

I would be most interested in updating this, so people say their best hotel from 2015. Hotels often slowly go from good to great, but can very quickly become terrible. Knowing a hotel has been exceptional in the last 12 months increases the chances of it being great when you go.

I find this quite a hard question to answer, as it will depend what I wanted at the time. The main one that comes to mind is of course Iniala, due to having been there just a few weeks ago. Other than that: Amanzoe and Amanpulo. All 3 offer incredible service and in the case of Amanzoe and Iniala, the architecture is phenomenal; Amanpulo is set within one of the most beautiful islands I've ever seen. I would include Aman-i-khas for the unique experience of a tent and extraordinary service, but I wouldn't actually go back there anytime soon, whereas the resorts I've mentioned above I would return immediately (we've been to Amanzoe 4 times already)
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:58 am

The best hotels for me this year have been -

Gravetye Manor, UK - Wonderful country house experience.

Ca'Sagredo in Venice - just a low-key palazzo right on the Grand Canal.

Villa Maya in Flores, Guatemala - Stunning new room, idyllic setting on the lake.

Cromlix in Dunblane, Scotland - Andy Murray's place, brilliant blend of tradition and contemporary.

Lord Crewe Arms in Blanchland, UK - The ideal country pub with modernised rooms and great food.

The Table Bay in Cape Town - Absolutely gobsmacking view from a perfect hotel room.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:00 am
Community Director Emerita

Domaine de la Baume, TourTour (east Provence) - went the second time this year, loved it as much as the first. Intimate, like staying in a friend's comfortable country home that embraces you. Good food, indoor and outdoor seating. We had a ground level suite that we loved.

Edited to add in 2019 - now closed, seems unlikely to reopen.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 12, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

original post >

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Which one is THE Hotel not to be missed absolutely in a life time. That property that, absolutely, you MUST see at least once.
(several other threads discuss "best" and "favorite" and "worst" and i seem to recall relatively recent posts)

(re changes - management (staff and or company) and or ownership changes can have immediate impact)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 2, 2016 at 2:26 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:00 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Amanjiwo and Amangiri both stand out as the most unique properties not to be missed

I last replied with Amanjiwo....which remains my favorite hotel in the world, and what I still believe is the most tremendous and unique hotel experience in the world. But this year's stay at Amangiri has put that property as a major contender--as there just aren't any other hotels anywhere that can match its remote desert location, incredibly sparse views, and incredible design.

So I'd say Aman still wins the day...with both Amajiwo and Amangiri. Amanjiwo still wins out for me due to its incredibly high service experience, but Amangiri wins out for offering reasonable proximity to some of the most extraordinary natural landscapes to be found anywhere in the world. It's tough to beat the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Zion, Bryce, The Wave, etc.

The fact that so many others herein name Amanpulo as the best beach/seaside property also gives Aman the win.

If I had to name one city hotel that I think truly stands out as being head and shoulders above all others, my vote would go to the Peninsula Shanghai. Its "corner" Bund location gives it incredible views onto the Pudong skyline, its design and service standard are flawless, its food and beverage are superb, and it has all the accoutrements (pool, spa, etc) that define the best of a city hotel. The fact that China is not as known for extremely high service standards also puts the service standard at the Peninsula Shanghai in true perspective.

The Upper House in Hong Kong is my second vote, with the best design of any urban hotel anywhere...but its lack of pool and spa would discount it for many. The Upper House remains the most Aman-like urban retreat I've yet had the chance to experience, with a service standard comparable to that of the Peninsula Shanghai. But city hotels, IMO, even at the highest luxury level, are essentially a dime a dozen.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
If this is to be THE hotel that must not be missed, I have to give it to Amanjiwo. There's nothing quite like it, both in design and with its view onto Borobodur.

I'd argue that THE hotel that can't be missed (1) must be architecturally and design-wise unique (otherwise, you could miss it) AND (2) offer an experience that is unlike any other anywhere (otherwise, you could miss it again). Amanjiwo meets those criteria. No other hotel does in my opinion.

Safari lodges ALL offer similar experiences, so they can't quite measure up to the criteria, even if they look unique.

Beach resorts ALL offer similar experiences, too, which is why Amanpulo can't for me qualify. Just because it's a favorite beach resort doesn't mean it can't be missed or that you can't get all of what it offers elsewhere (better sand, more marine life, better villas/rooms, better design, etc.). Or Amankila.

There are villa hotels with exceeding luxury but which are mimicked in some way by at least one or more other luxury properties. There are city hotels which are almost always mimicked in many ways by many other luxury city hotels.

Only a remote property is likely to fit the bill of one that can't be missed--since urban hotels more or less mimic each other in so many ways, just in different urban settings which blend together. Rural settings offer the most contrast without question.

That leaves me with Amanjiwo. No question.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 3, 2016 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
My favourites in 2015:

Amanpuri - so much better than I remembered. A beautiful beach, fantastic dining and spot on service. Made Trisara and especially Six Senses Yao Noi look like amateurs.

Casadelmar and La Plage Casadelmar Corsica. This place is very special. Everything is extremely expensive, but the quality is also very high and I have never experienced better service in France. The beach club and its restaurant at La Plage Casadelmar are a fantastic place to spend the day.

My number one of 2015 has to go to Singita Lebombo. Extraordinary in every way. It is closing down for a refurbishment in January and I am very eager to see what they manage to achieve.

I also liked Le Prince Maurice and Crillon le Brave this year, but they are not quite in the same league as the others mentioned.

Happy travels in 2016 everybody!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Blanket Bay, Glenorchy, New Zealand
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:19 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I voted Amanpulo last, and it remains my number one.

Another hotel not to miss that we visited this year was Amanbagh. The warm and personal service was the best we have experienced at any hotel ever. The fact that we stayed during the holi celebrations did of course add a lot to the overall experience, playing with the team, the management and the other guests I will remember for ever. I really feel that I have friends there that I would love to meet again if we ever go back.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Musken
I voted Amanpulo last, and it remains my number one.

Another hotel not to miss that we visited this year was Amanbagh. The warm and personal service was the best we have experienced at any hotel ever. The fact that we stayed during the holi celebrations did of course add a lot to the overall experience, playing with the team, the management and the other guests I will remember for ever. I really feel that I have friends there that I would love to meet again if we ever go back.
I also thought that Amanbagh was very special. Umaid Bhawan Palace is my absolute favourite in India. My overall number one remains Villa Feltrinelli.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:11 am

Amanpulo here, too. Expected Velaa to top it - and,for hard product and setting it might, but the overall feeling and service at Amanpulo was superior to us.

Also love MO Tokyo and pretty much every place we've stayed in Botswana, SA and Namibia.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I would say Raffles Singapore.
It was my first 'luxury' experience when I was still a student.
Swimming in the middle of the night in the rooftop pool was such a memory!

Second choice would be Oriental Bangkok and third FS George V Paris.
I did not even remember writing this

For 2015 I would vote for Amanjiwo. The Dalem Jiwo Suite is an experience in itself. We had such a great time there.

Other hotels not to be missed => Amanbagh / Four Seasons Florence / Aman Canal Grande / Hotel Bel-Air in LA
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I did not even remember writing this

For 2015 I would vote for Amanjiwo. The Dalem Jiwo Suite is an experience in itself. We had such a great time there.

Other hotels not to be missed => Amanbagh / Four Seasons Florence / Aman Canal Grande / Hotel Bel-Air in LA
Have to agree with Four Seasons Florence. Everything there, from the setting, rooms and food to the service and the spa is fantastic.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, PEN Club, Belmond Bellini, Relais Chateaux PP & Dorchester Diamond
Laucala in Fiji if I had to pick just one based off of activities, room product, service experience and food. All exceptional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.