OS                       EW-OS                       PS ---- ---- ---- 0100
Print Wikipost

Connecting in Vienna [VIE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:59 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
To be honest, I wouldn't book this again with the short connection. Yesterday at VIE there were a lot of problems with the weather, so I was not sure, if I can make the connection.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:13 am

Are there any special additional security hassles in place for the EBL flight? I have a connection FRA-MUC-VIE-EBL with a whopping 35 minutes at VIE

I hate it, but the direct FRA-VIE was full
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by totti
The outbound it no problem at all. The inbound connection is a bit tight but given the short ways in VIE it should be ok.
Thank you, and the others who responded, for this advice. I was able to change the return CDG-VIE to OS 416 which results in a 2:05 connection.

Am I correct in assuming my Aunt will not have to clear any kind of Immigration at VIE in transit from BKK to CDG? She is a Thai citizen with a 90 day tourist visa for France. It looks like (from a quick check on the OS site) the BKK flights depart/arrive from gates in terminal A, while flights to/from CDG depart from gates in the C terminal. Is this in any way a difficult transfer (even a 2 minute walk can be challenging), again remembering this is a person who has not flown outside Thailand; her English is good while her French is limited. I assume there will be some sort of security check during this transfer?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
She will go thru EU immgration and a new EU security check in VIE, both should be no problem if you speak english.

If you feel she cannot walk more than 2 mins unassisted, you should book special assistance for her. Just call OS in BKK for details or use this link http://www.aua.com/at/eng/About_Flig...ne+numbers.htm
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Airsicknessbag
Are there any special additional security hassles in place for the EBL flight? I have a connection FRA-MUC-VIE-EBL with a whopping 35 minutes at VIE

I hate it, but the direct FRA-VIE was full
You have schengen to non-schengen = pass through immigration, there is the normal security check at the gate, and for EBL an extra passport check just before security (due to the fluid entry requirements). See my trip report for information on VIE-EBL & EBL-VIE flights.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:44 pm

Ok, thanks, good to hear that.

I knew about your trip, kind of inspiring, I allow 12 hours in Erbil, though, so I'll get to see a bit more of the city than you

Flying back EBL-IST SAW-ESB-IST-FRA with a day in Ankara added.

Lokking forward to the corkscrew
Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I support that VIE is fast for transit, but it really depends. I had few cases where I arrived to gates A via bridge (and few via bus) and had to get to gates C for departure. That can take some time...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:15 am

40 minutes from PRG

Hi.

We're going back PRG-VIE-MSQ operated OS.
Arrives 19:20 on Mon 24 Aug Vienna, Vienna International, Terminal, departures 20:00 on Mon 24 Aug Vienna, Vienna International, Terminal (OS689).

Going to be there with my wife.

Is there can be problems with connection? I suppose that since it's the same airline for both flights they can wait for us? Or, if we miss the connection, they'll send us the next available flight? The only problem is that our Shengen visa will expire Aug, 24th... will it be a problem if we leave EU on Aug 25th because of missed connection flight?

We can fly earlier OS687 and will have 50 minutes instead of 40 plus available OS689 the same day as backup... but this will shorten our stay in Prague for 7 hours... is it worth it?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: QF
Iv got a tight connection coming up on the 1st July
Arriving from LHR at 12:40 for flight to DBV at 13:15, ill have checked baggage. What do you think?
If I missed it would they rebook me on a croatian flight via Zagreb or would i have to wait till the following day?
Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
Arriving from LHR at 12:40 for flight to DBV at 13:15, ill have checked baggage. What do you think?
If I missed it would they rebook me on a croatian flight via Zagreb or would i have to wait till the following day?
Thanks
I've tried similar connections LHR-VIE-INN, which is also 35 minutes, and had a 50:50 success rate. I've never tried with checked baggage.

Things to look out for:
* Late landing from LHR
* Far apron park position, followed by ridiculous single bus transfer to Schengen passport control
* Imbalanced ratio of moron passengers to passport officers (including my favourite when a party of 10+ Indians spread out across every booth, trying to enter the EU without visas, when they needed to do a Schengen-Schengen transfer to DEL)

Each time I've missed, they've rebooked me to the next OS flight (even though there's been a Niki flight in between). Apparently if I wasn't such a cheapskate booking RedTickets, they would book me on the Niki.

My SEN status never saved me.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:10 am

easy with 35 min

Thanks
If you have 35 min you have no problems.
They have dedicated checked luggage staff to transfer your bag alone ... once i arrived from SOF ot OTP on a quick trf to TXL and my F100 was parked next to Dash basically a guy pulled-up in a pick-up truck grabbed my suitcase adn drove it 150 meters and dropped it at the connecting flight ... all in front on my eyes as we were drving to terminal ...

indeed shengen pass control on arrival is a bottle neck, but i always go to the front and ask to let me in becasue of short connection ...

the walk from passport to the C gates is less than 3 minutes (if you walk fast)...
wait you are non-shengen to non-shengen so no issue with passport control ... the secutirry check at the remotre shengen gates can be bottleneck...
the non-shengen part of terminal is not more that 2 minutes walk from whatever end you are to the other.

Is your VIE DBV flight OS operated - it if it is not Croatia will not wait..

someonetold me that if you are connecting and there is no later flight they will meet you on the trmack in case of very short connection - have not yet happened to me in last 4 years

the best you can do is to indentify yourself to the FA that you have short connection and ske her/him to ask the pilots to call in and confirm your connection ... when pilots announce that all connection are OK that means you should be fine...

sometimes LHR flight arrive at the C gates and instead of going thru the non-shengen transfer go thru the C passport control - walk accross the entire termianl to D part (formerly A) and go thru another passport check - it is shorter that bus transfer beterrn C and D.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: QF
thanks for the replies
I am indeed on OS all the way, the only thing that worries me is the usual delays in leaving LHR. Im leaving in 2 weeks so ill let you know how it goes.
How reliable is the a/c info, im scheduled on an 321 and 738 but it seems to change daily.
On the way back im flying from Split on F100(Hopefully, new type for me) and connecting onto bmi to LHR, as a bmi DC Silver member will i be allowed in the lounge in VIE?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
thanks for the replies
I am indeed on OS all the way, the only thing that worries me is the usual delays in leaving LHR. Im leaving in 2 weeks so ill let you know how it goes.
How reliable is the a/c info, im scheduled on an 321 and 738 but it seems to change daily.
On the way back im flying from Split on F100(Hopefully, new type for me) and connecting onto bmi to LHR, as a bmi DC Silver member will i be allowed in the lounge in VIE?
No lounge access unless you want to pay (Austrian is doing that now) or you are in biz or you are M&M silver or gold or black (Honors). Vienna is a great airport for short connections. I have never had a probelm yet and I often connect to or from Croatia with 30-40 minutes. Be aware that they list 45 minutes as the time you are supposed to be at the gate but they nver board that early (a GA recently told me it's to make sure those unfmiliar with the airport don't miss their flight).

The biggest challenge is that you could arrive in D and then leave from C or vice versa. If you arrive in C at a gate, then you really want to be towards the front of the plane, so you don't get stuck in a long line (there are only two desks per gate for passport control). If you then leave from C just find your gate and go back through passport control and security (which is done gate by gate). If you leave from D, then you'll have to walk the length of the airport and go through passport control again, then find your gate and go through security. There used to be a shuttle from C to D but I don't necessarily know how to find it from a C gate.

If you get an apron position or a gate at D and leave from D, then there's no passport control, just security at the gate. [If you get an apron position, you'll just have to go upstairs.] If you leave from C, then you'll go through the main passport control downstairs in D which is usually very good and then you'll have to walk over to C. See my note on the shuttle above.

Have fun and enjoy Croatia.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:24 am

What about 35-min connection for GVA-VIE-VCE?

Next month, I'll have a 35-min connection at VIE:
GVA-VIE 7:20-9:00
VIE-VCE 9:35-10:50
Both legs on OS, booked using UA miles.

Since it's the first flight out of GVA that morning, I'm guessing delays shouldn't be likely, except for weather and last minute mechanicals.

Also, since it's within EU, would I not have to change terminal or clear immigration?

Based on this post, I shouldn't be concerned. But I'd better not check luggage. How good is OS in waiting for transit passengers should the inbound flight experience delays? (I don't want to miss my cruise out of Venice!)
Old Jul 3, 2010, 3:36 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Next month, I'll have a 35-min connection at VIE:
GVA-VIE 7:20-9:00
VIE-VCE 9:35-10:50
Both legs on OS, booked using UA miles.

Since it's the first flight out of GVA that morning, I'm guessing delays shouldn't be likely, except for weather and last minute mechanicals.

Also, since it's within EU, would I not have to change terminal or clear immigration?

Based on this post, I shouldn't be concerned. But I'd better not check luggage. How good is OS in waiting for transit passengers should the inbound flight experience delays? (I don't want to miss my cruise out of Venice!)
For the morning flight, you should be really OK. If you arrive late and your connection time is about 20 minutes, you will get a direkt transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.