FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Connecting in Vienna [VIE] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/719912-connecting-vienna-vie.html)

ehartal Jul 30, 2007 9:19 am

Connecting in Vienna [VIE]

I just bought a ticket to my mom from aua.com coming from Tel-Aviv to Chicago O'hare via Vienna. She flies on OS metal only (No LY codeshare)

The flight from Tel-Aviv arrived at 9:45 and the flight to Chicago departs at 10:50. Is that enough time for connection. How long are the walks in Vienna.

On the way back her connection is 1:35 minutes.

Are there any special procedres for flight to the US and Israel. My mom's English while not poor is not the best. She is 61 and cannot walk miles. So I am considering ordering her a wheel chair

Anybody in this forum did TLV-US long haul connection via VIE who can comment about the service and transit experience

BenjaminNYC Jul 30, 2007 9:42 am

VIE is one of the best airports for connections in Europe. Your mom will be fine. The wheelchair may be a good idea. Can't hurt.

whiskey_sk Jul 30, 2007 10:41 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 8143064)
VIE is one of the best airports for connections in Europe. Your mom will be fine. The wheelchair may be a good idea. Can't hurt.

I second that!

muc_flyer Jul 30, 2007 11:22 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 8143064)
VIE is one of the best airports for connections in Europe.

yeeeah, in case you are at off-peak-hours and/or are in- and outound say enjoying C-Gates.
But if you try to make inbound C to outbound B during peak hours - even if you are entitled to use the so called prio line... I whish you best of luck. And this is quite a long distance to make, too.

szg Jul 30, 2007 11:25 am

The TLV flight will arrive at Terminal A and also the connecting flight will depart at terminal A. Maybe there is a walk from 100 meters between the gates.

No problem with the connection. The wheelchair is a good option !!

hch Jul 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by muc_flyer (Post 8143774)
yeeeah, in case you are at off-peak-hours and/or are in- and outound say enjoying C-Gates.
But if you try to make inbound C to outbound B during peak hours - even if you are entitled to use the so called prio line... I whish you best of luck. And this is quite a long distance to make, too.

And you have to go through rescreening every time even for schengen to schengen connections which is highly annoying.

And make sure you don't get a high-B gate during rush hour and have to wade through 150 Air Berlin or Germanwings passengers occupying the narrow aisle.

But given that you'd have to rescreen anyway for a TLV->USA connection that's a little offtopic here. VIE should be fine for the OPs purposes. (Then again 1 hour connections should be doable in every european airport)

muc_flyer Jul 30, 2007 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by hch (Post 8144080)
But given that you'd have to rescreen anyway for a TLV->USA connection that's a little offtopic here.

Yep, and for the OPs case it's anway not as the example given from C to B...

I just found the general comment about "VIE is one of the best airports for connections in Europe" bit too much for me as VIE had been one of the very rare situations where I missed the connecting flight :td:.

MUC is IMHO much better for connecting flights - not only europe but in general ^!

Kiwi Flyer Jul 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by hch (Post 8144080)
(Then again 1 hour connections should be doable in every european airport)

Not in LHR. Even 2 hours is risky.

Shofar Jul 30, 2007 2:41 pm

Possibility that the TLV-VIE flight will not be on a jetway but bus connection. Then you have to take another bus to the USA flight. Otherwise you are in the same Terminal, same wing.

Go for the wheelchair in any case.

All screening in VIE for non Schegen is at the gate. Wheelchair helps.

Enjoy the flight,

Shofar

tom tulpe Jul 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 8144743)

You couldn't honestly describe LHR as being in "Europe", could you? It's a third world enclave within the UK. And that might be a bit harsh on the third world.

hch Jul 30, 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 8144743)

True. I should have said continental europe :)

oliver2002 Jul 30, 2007 8:12 pm

Note that in ORD OS departs from T5 M21. That is quite a hike.

szg Jul 30, 2007 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 8146976)
Note that in ORD OS departs from T5 M21. That is quite a hike.

I love hiking !!! :D (I often enjoy FRA Gate A42 to B11 !!)

hch Jul 31, 2007 5:49 am

Originally Posted by szg (Post 8147824)
I love hiking !!! :D (I often enjoy FRA Gate A42 to B11 !!)

A little exercise always helps if you're stuck all day in meetings and airplanes :)

turing Mar 2, 2008 10:59 pm

safe connection time in VIE?

I'm trying to plan an award trip for my parents, and it looks like the most convenient option would be for them to transit through VIE. However, I'm concerned about the connection time. They would be flying TLV-VIE (arriving at 18:50), and then VIE-LHR (departing at 19:45). Is 55 min. a safe connection time for them, or should I try to find a different routing?

Thanks!