Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm. Any speculation firming up on dates for this?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
No dates that I've seen. I lucked out and didn't have travel planned during the last strike, but getting a bit nervous this time - I'm scheduled to fly to CPH next weekend and GYD a week later, both on LH.

More coverage: http://www.dw.de/lufthansa-pilot-str...ent/a-17872984
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

How nice.... I had to reschedule my trip in April and will be flying again on Friday and the week after that. Let's see what they do this time.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:39 am

Well This is great! I have a flight from IAD-FRA on the 1st and FRA-CAI on the 2nd. will Lufthansa rebook? lets say on UA? Also, do you think Lufthansa will resolve the issue before they go on strike?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:22 am

I'm flying LH end of September, returning beginning of October. What are the odds they have this resolved by then?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There is a difference between an announcement and the pilots actually going on strike.... So no need to panic just yet.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by RTW1
There is a difference between an announcement and the pilots actually going on strike.... So no need to panic just yet.
OK..
When they do go on strike, and I do panic, what should I do about alternate transportation options?
YUL-MUC in F. First time ever!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:55 am

This would be awful for me
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pkerr
OK..
When they do go on strike, and I do panic, what should I do about alternate transportation options?
YUL-MUC in F. First time ever!
They will rebook you.... Last time I was able to travel one day before my booking (the day of the strike). They will normally rebook you on an M&M airline like LX, but will also look at availability with other airlines.

The pilot union will give at least a few days notice, as they are required. But so far they are just making some noise.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
They will rebook you.... Last time I was able to travel one day before my booking (the day of the strike). They will normally rebook you on an M&M airline like LX, but will also look at availability with other airlines.

The pilot union will give at least a few days notice, as they are required. But so far they are just making some noise.
Not that you should know this but yours is the first concrete info anyone has given me.

My routing is STL-ORD-YUL-MUC booked with United points.
STL-ORD is on UA
ORD-YUL is Air Canada
YUL-MUC is LH

Does this booking happen proactively or would I need to call? And who would rebook it? UA?
Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:53 pm

oh sweet fancy moses, I hope this gets resolved amicably. I'm moving to Berlin on 9/23. :-\
It was going to be my first ever long haul biz class miles flight IAH->FRA->TXL. And on the sweet new A380 as well.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pkerr
Does this booking happen proactively or would I need to call? And who would rebook it? UA?
Way to soon to tell.... there is a thread for the last strike here where you can read how they handled it last time.

But when, and if, the strike dates are announced and you are affected then being proactive and calling the ticketing airline is always best. And even better if you have done your homework on the alternatives you want. Being on an award does make a difference, I wouldn't really count on UA booking you in revenue availability.....

But again, there is no strike announced yet.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 24, 2014 at 2:26 am
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:22 am

Maybe difficult to answer, but what would be the first possible day of the strike?
I am flying CGN-MUC-CTA (Catania) on 30-Aug and back on 06-Sep and i wonder if i could be impacted?

Thanks, Pascal
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
YES! Lets put slavery and the monarchism back!
There is a certain degree of civil order and predictability associated with totalitarian regimes. Representative government and contract disputes are just so bureaucratic...for those of us who just want predictable service, indentured servitude has some benefits...

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Hmmm. Any speculation firming up on dates for this?
They don't want to be so predictable this time to maximize the chaos and associated pain for LH--just to show they are not kidding around...

How nice.... I had to reschedule my trip in April and will be flying again on Friday and the week after that. Let's see what they do this time.
I was also affected in April and I thought LH handled the situation quite well. This time LH might not have the luxury of advance planning.

From what I am hearing and reading, VC is not going to announce in advance this time. Fortunately, most of my routes in Sept have alternatives.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1003U
They don't want to be so predictable this time to maximize the chaos and associated pain for LH--just to show they are not kidding around...
Wow. I am even contemplating an US Airways flight. Troubling times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.