Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Are we talking about the same BSL that might face heavily increased taxes and Easyjet is rumoured it will leave it that's why?

http://www.verlagshaus-jaumann.de/in...fc9b24e03.html

Well, wouldn't be too surprised if LH group does something against the market
Thanks for the link. I was not aware of the regulatory changes. It sounded too good to be true. Yes, replacing EasyJet with Eurowings was not what I had in mind.

I know the French are desperate for tax revenue, so I expect to see them extort it from every possible source, including MLH air passengers.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Q3 release is tomorrow.
http://investor-relations.lufthansag...terim-reports/

My guess is more of the same of Q2.
Fuel and depreciation leading positives, but the total increased profit will be a (small) fraction of that value.
Capacity to be revised further down to 2% (strikes, winter cuts, etc)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:05 am

Release is out:
Presentation

Operating result: increase of 186Mio (28.1%), although combined fuel expenses and depreciation were down 491Mio.
Net profit: 235Mio up
Capacity: Still calling for a 3% increase
I'll stick to my Q2 comment, Fuel and depreciation are driving the improved results.

2015 operating result will not be 2.6bio (but still "significantly above" 2014 - 1bio)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:11 am

Due I read it correct (non-economic language): Cheaper fuel alone made the numbers go better, cleaned of those expenses, the naked data are worse than last year?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Due I read it correct (non-economic language): Cheaper fuel alone made the numbers go better, cleaned of those expenses, the naked data are worse than last year?
Operating profit 9m 2014 was EUR 849 million, up from 662 million 9m 2013, an improvement of EUR 186 million. Fuel costs 9m 2014 was EUR 5,180 million, down from 5,449 million for 9m 2013, an improvement of EUR 269 million.

So yes, at constant fuel costs, figures would have actually been slightly worse. Of course, there are more moving parts, but I think it's safe to say that these numbers show little progress and are below expectations. Stock price is down 6,5% today so far.

As it is subject of the current strikes - what can also be seen is the huge volatility introduced into the balance sheet from pension liabilities. Those went up by a cool EUR >2.5 billion or +57% due to a change in the discount rate. There is not much management can do about this short term (they don't control the interest rate environment obviously), but I understand they want to reduce that volatility longer term.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:11 am

Agree on the pensions - not much to be done there by management, but those aside, it shows that SCORE is failing. It's short term gains are apparently already running out, and as more and more people are actively avoiding LH group, it gets worse and worse. Mr. Franz and now Mr. Spohr aren't doing much good work it seems, Antinori was smart to jump the ship it's course he couldn't change anyway.

I can already see Lufthansa's "answer" to it's problems: Even more cuts, even more enhancements, even more saving pennies (to lose pounds..)

It's a bit sad to see a once great company going downhill all the way, but that's life..
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
LH lost more then 40% of its capitalization since June this year. It is coming close to lowest share price in 2 years.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by volta
LH lost more then 40% of its capitalization since June this year. It is coming close to lowest share price in 2 years.
So not really tracking the DAX or FTSE 100 - good thing the fuel prices were lower- a decline in revenue however is quite significant.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:14 pm

CAPA and their take on LH results:

[...] Lufthansa changed its depreciation policy this year so that it now depreciates its aircraft over 20 years to a residual value of 5%, compared with its previous policy of 12 years to 15%. This leads to lower annual depreciation charges and brings Lufthansa more in line with other European airlines. The group's 3Q2014 depreciation cost was EUR70 million lower than a year earlier, just exceeding the EUR68 million improvement in the normalised operating result.

In other words, the normalised 3Q operating result would not have been higher than last year if the depreciation policy had remained the same.
bolding mine.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBM.flights
CAPA and their take on LH results:

bolding mine.
Thank you for posting this interesting analysis- I found it interesting how far off results are off 2013 for the 9M to date (from the CAPA report linked above):

"Without the one-off costs and if the new depreciation policy had applied last year, the 9M2014 operating result is 10% below the equivalent 9M2013 result."
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:50 am

Furnle posted on the Flyertalk/Vielfliegertreff and Lufthansa Kamingespräch 2014 thread that LH acknowledges the issue with NEK for some routes (TLV,AMM, CAI). Lost yield, etc.

I thought this would be the appropriate place to bash LH some more on this, and here instead of polluting the other thread.
How hard could it be to follow IB/BA? (Since they are following BA on Y+ there is no pride to be lost if the same would be done on a half-decent Euro-Biz where it matters). Get the right AC type economies but still get the yields.

BA with their 7 ex-bmi A321 sub-fleet solution (from businesstraveller)

Even IB with a 5 A321 sub-fleet (from businesstraveller):
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: LH FT, IB
Well, let's give them some time. The way they will manage that problem is not decided yet. They will do something, that is sure, because they know they need to.

With that in mind, there are obviously some different paths that can be taken. A good example of that is the discussion between craming more seats in the short haul fleet, or even reverting to the previous configuration.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:21 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
Furnle posted on the Flyertalk/Vielfliegertreff and Lufthansa Kamingespräch 2014 thread that LH acknowledges the issue with NEK for some routes (TLV,AMM, CAI). Lost yield, etc.

I thought this would be the appropriate place to bash LH some more on this, and here instead of polluting the other thread.
How hard could it be to follow IB/BA? (Since they are following BA on Y+ there is no pride to be lost if the same would be done on a half-decent Euro-Biz where it matters). Get the right AC type economies but still get the yields.

BA with their 7 ex-bmi A321 sub-fleet solution (from businesstraveller)

Even IB with a 5 A321 sub-fleet (from businesstraveller):
Let's not forget LH's friend/foe (depends on the day) TK

Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:24 pm

Also, SU uses proper C seats for their narrowbodies/short haul fleet:

Quite a lot of carriers, if you ask me.. and YES, I would definitely pay quite a bit more (and in fact already did 2 RTs this year with SU in short haul C) for such a proper seat, while I wouldn't spend more than maybe 50€ extra for the "pleasure" that LH group C has become for up to 6 hours..
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Even Air Serbia has it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.