Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:14 am

ORD-AMS Saturday Jan. 21st. Already placed a bid- any way I can improve my chances?! (Flight is for the first leg of my honeymoon) Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:39 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by ORDFlyer315
ORD-AMS Saturday Jan. 21st. Already placed a bid- any way I can improve my chances?! (Flight is for the first leg of my honeymoon) Thanks!
Well, the data-points are good. KL612 looks "empty" up-front. It's also a Saturday, which I believe helps.

Right now :
J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9

How many others are bidding? I would keep a pretty close watch. But, considering it's less than a week away.... looks like you'll have a decent shot.

Edit to add : Even if you "win" does not guarantee you'll be upgraded. It's all up to KLM and their yield management.

Further edit : my 7777th post. I guess, if you like 7s. I personally prefer 8s and 9s.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Jan 15, 2017 at 11:41 am Reason: my 7777th post
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:53 am

Thank you, baccarat_king- I do like 7s!

I am the only bidder at the minimum. I will be watching it like a hawk.

If for some reason I don't win, what are the odds I get an upgrade offer at OLCI? I want it to be a surprise, and don't want to risk waiting until the gate!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yes, you have a good shot. A bit OT, but stay online for the entire last minute of the bidding process - 'ninja' bids like eBay do happen.

If you don't get it (most likely, I never get it in bidding) go to the counter / lounge / ticket office next day to get a DOD (Day of Departure) upgrade at miles, miles+cash or cash.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
Yes, you have a good shot. A bit OT, but stay online for the entire last minute of the bidding process - 'ninja' bids like eBay do happen.

If you don't get it (most likely, I never get it in bidding) go to the counter / lounge / ticket office next day to get a DOD (Day of Departure) upgrade at miles, miles+cash or cash.
Thanks for the heads up, caliform.

I've heard the bidding process is a bit buggy- how close should I take it to the end before submitting a final bid? I believe there is something like 9 business class seats available- I only need 2! haha
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:34 pm

Thanks, caliform.

My plan is to be checking it pretty regularly, and I will for sure be on at the close of bidding.

1) I've heard the bidding program/software can be buggy. Any experience taking a final "ninja bid" down to the wire? How close should I cut it!? If someone happens to make a bid, I want to make sure I snag it! (gotta impress the new wife, right!?)

2) It looks like there are 9 seats left- I only need 2! If I am the second highest bidder, is there I chance I still get awarded the seat?

Thank!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yes, possible. I am unsure if it distributes all the seats or just a few into bidding, but it's worth trying.

Down to the wire: you can easily get a bid in in the last 3-2 seconds. It's a bit nerve-wracking, but it'll work.

Other tips:

Don't do check-in until you have an email stating you did or did not win the bidding.

Check for an upgrade offer at check-in as well

As a last resort, as I said, you can ask ticketing / KLM for a day-of-departure upgrade. You can even ask the purser or gate agent at the very last minute to buy up if there are seats. These upgrades are more expensive than the OLCI offers, though.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
Yes, possible. I am unsure if it distributes all the seats or just a few into bidding, but it's worth trying.

Down to the wire: you can easily get a bid in in the last 3-2 seconds. It's a bit nerve-wracking, but it'll work.

Other tips:

Don't do check-in until you have an email stating you did or did not win the bidding.

Check for an upgrade offer at check-in as well

As a last resort, as I said, you can ask ticketing / KLM for a day-of-departure upgrade. You can even ask the purser or gate agent at the very last minute to buy up if there are seats. These upgrades are more expensive than the OLCI offers, though.
I really appreciate the insight, caliform. Fingers crossed this surprise comes through- I'll report back Friday afternoon when I know for sure!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:41 pm

Interesting datapoint.. I got two offers for both legs of a KLM journey recently. long haul to long haul (both about 6.5 hrs) at 280 and 340 USD. I took the one for 280 but kept the other leg in EC.
Forgot to check FB account for a bit after but looked at it today and saw that the miles for the upgraded leg posted as M, while the other posted as T. If I knew I would get extra miles I certainly would have accepted both offers!! Feeling very silly now
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by rfrn
Interesting datapoint.. I got two offers for both legs of a KLM journey recently. long haul to long haul (both about 6.5 hrs) at 280 and 340 USD. I took the one for 280 but kept the other leg in EC.
Forgot to check FB account for a bit after but looked at it today and saw that the miles for the upgraded leg posted as M, while the other posted as T. If I knew I would get extra miles I certainly would have accepted both offers!! Feeling very silly now
You are not meant to get extra miles for OLCI upgrade, glitches do happen of course but I wouldn't count on that the same glitch would happen to both legs
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:24 pm

TLV-AMS, the usual 159€ which seems odd since the flight was oversold (no tickets available in Y or J about 3 days before the flight), I was expecting it to go down to ~80€, but instead I get an opup at ~T-4 (noticed it when the AF app popup showed up with the boarding pass)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rfrn
Got this recently too! Went from an N class to M, 100% miles. Not gonna complain.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
TLV-AMS, the usual 159€
CPH-AMS is usually €149.

The extra €10 must be because TLV is slightly farther from AMS than CPH is!

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
CPH-AMS is usually €149.

The extra €10 must be because TLV is slightly farther from AMS than CPH is!

Johan
Yeah, about 5 times farther , but TLV-AMS is always fixed with 6 rows of J, there were 8 pax in J when I checked before going to sleep (and decided not to take the offer), and eventually 23/24 seats were occupied, at least 5 PAX were sent at the gate to get a new BP, I suspect the rest probably got them at the check-in counter.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:26 am

When does bidding become available?

I checked my reservation for next Sunday (1/30) and it says bids aren't being accepted. Seat plan shows 8 available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.