The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Flying into GIG from IGU earlier today, I was thinking about this thread - well, more like dreaming about an upgrade for my GIG-AMS (11 hour) flight.

I was already starting to 'weaken' after my week 'up country' and thought, if I get the offer to upgrade for €200 or less, I'll definitely take it, but if it's over €400 I probably won't. But then I was just dreaming - never had such an offer on long-haul before, and didn't make OLCI as no decent internet where I was staying.

Anyway, at T - 4 hours, went to the (quite well hidden) check-in robot at GIG and got the offer: €329! I took it. Now I'm rather looking forward to seeing/sleeping the New Year in in a "flat bed" () rather than steerage class (even though I already had so-called "Economy Comfort").

For info: original fare base was R (deep discount, 25% miles).

Happy New Year to all!

-- Henry
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: DL FO
Even though WBC was almost empty on both the outbound and inbound flight (10-20%), the buy up to/from KIX was 1595€!
I do not need to say I did not take it!

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

WAW-AMS 119 euro

Was offered an upgrade to Business on the WAW-AMS flight of nearly 2 hours for 119 euro/pp on the 0615 flight. Did not take it, but flight did leave with a 85% occupancy in business.

Cheers!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:17 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
LHR-AMS €79

Got offered the upgrade on 20.12.11 for KL1018 (F70 operated flight) LHR-AMS.
Decided not to take the upgrade and ended being upgraded at the gate. I believe the flight was jam packed.

That said, the service for economy and business was both the same: both cabins were served two sandwiches. Only thing the E79 would have gotten me would have been the extra miles.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by Gajan
...Only thing the E79 would have gotten me would have been the extra miles.
Talking of which, so far the only miles that have posted for my bought upgrade flight are for the original "R" fare (25%). Should I expect the 'extra' miles ("I" class, I believe) to post automatically in a few days, or should I drop a line to the folks at FB?

-- Henry
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:57 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Henry III
Talking of which, so far the only miles that have posted for my bought upgrade flight are for the original "R" fare (25%). Should I expect the 'extra' miles ("I" class, I believe) to post automatically in a few days, or should I drop a line to the folks at FB?

-- Henry
My impression was that if you took a paid upgrade during OLCI you earn miles according to the new booking class (long haul usually 125%, intra-EU 250%).

You could always wait a few days and see what happens.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
offered an upgrade for 289 euro on AMS-ATL, Q fare
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ajs123
offered an upgrade for 289 euro on AMS-ATL, Q fare
Did you take it?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I flew OTP-AMS-GVA a few days ago. At OLCI I see an offer to UG to EBC for €79. I was thinking that for €79, both flights, lounge access, etc... MAYBE, but wasn't sure. I clicked on the offer to check it out. Only the AMS-GVA flight was available for an UG and when I hovered the mouse above the EBC seats the tooltip said €329.

1. Shouldn't the UG offer be more clear? If it's only available for one segment, I would expect that to be made clear from the start. I know, €79 for OTP-AMS-GVA seemed an unlikely offer, but that's because I've been reading this thread. For unseasoned travelers it's just deceiving.

2. Why offer an UG for €79 and have the seat map tooltip say €329? Granted, I didn't click to see which price it would have asked for, but this is a pretty serious inconsistency. At that point it could asked for €0.79 and I still wouldn't have taken it.

(Disclaimer: I may be a bit picky because I work in software and I have higher expectations from production systems, knowing how hard I work to ensure the quality of the stuff I put in production. To me this is unacceptable. You want to make money? Clean up your act.)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
Are these OLCI offers ever offered from the US to AMS? From Mia, atl , or jfk? Does any one have any feedback on this?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
As you can see, one of the posts above describes an offer on ATL.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver, IHG Gold, RH VIP
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
As you can see, one of the posts above describes an offer on ATL.
I'm quite sure FreqTrav27 was asking out of US cities not the other way around. The ATL segment was AMS-ATL...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
Yes i was asking out of Atl.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM
It looks like it is never offered out of US cities, but I have never tried. I was wondering if anyone has had luck with Delta flights lately...i've heard KLM can do this at AMS (usually the lounge) if there is availability in BC...I have a flight to EWR in a couple days and it looks like there is plenty of seats in J and Y (as of expertflyer.com)...

Anyone?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite *G, AF/KLM FB Elite+, A|Club Platinum, HH G
2 weeks ago I was offered to buy an upgrade on flight AMS-YUL-YYZ (connecting flight to Toronto was operated by Westjet) Fare Class U, though not during OLCI.

It was after check-in, airside and on a transfer/check-in robot in the transfer area. I wanted to check how full the flight was, so I scanned my boarding pass, suddenly the WBC class section popped up too. It was, I think around 300 EUR to upgrade, flying in a MD-11. Did not take it, ticket was already quite an amount and than to pay even more, no thanks. Though I wish I had, during one point on the flight there were 2 children at different times running up and down the aisle while I was trying to sleep (aisle seat). I could have slapped them. At those times I was thinking by myself why I did not choose the upgrade...

Then on my flight back from YYZ-AMS (direct flight, 747-400), I got an op-up to Business Class seat but than with Economy service during my check in at those robots! I just suddenly saw the WBC cabin and that seat 2K was automatically assigned to me. This was an M fare class, so it might had to do something with that and maybe the fact I was Flying Blue Silver.

So I was wondering, during on the AMS-YUL leg, I already pre selected my seat and on the YYZ-AMS leg I had not, what if I not had selected a seat on AMS-YUL, would I have been op-upped? Also, I did not bother to look at OLCI on both legs, but what if I did, would have it been the same results 30 hours before? Or was is just because of the high fare classes?

Oh well, I think there will never be concrete answers to how this systems works, but I do am loving those robots now might check OLCI on my upcoming fights!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.