Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue IFC deploys emergency slide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue IFC deploys emergency slide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Wish I'd been on that flight. Would've been one for the eons.

Local news here reported that the pax was a woman.

Last edited by mile ho; Aug 10, 2010 at 8:00 am
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amejr999
JetBlue's not union. In any event, this guy caused a plane to be taken out of service and a dent to JB's reputation.
A dent? Are you kidding? If airlines offered this more often they'd sell more tickets!

He deserves to be fired IMO.
That would seem difficult to do, since he's already slid off the job.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If he's ever in Chicago, I'll BUY him a couple beers. He sounds like an interesting guy.

Mr. Slater, if you read this, send me a PM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, AC Super Elite, DL Plat, NW Gold, CO Gold Elite, BA Gold, PR Elite,
If there was ever a time to contribute to a legal defense fund?
Where do I send my cheque or will FA, opps I mean Mr Slatter
accept PayPal. He may have been wrong but in our hearts
we know he was right^^
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I've got to applaud him for making his point with style, and for not blowing away a bunch of co-workers in the process.

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
More of then than not, I give the person some admonishment, some training, and then laugh about it with others, with some envy that, being the owner of the business, I don't have the luxury of occasionally being able to give the customers what they deserve.

I honestly don't think this will play poorly for Jet Blue at all. Most potential customers are either frequent passengers who have dealt with other poor passengers, or are themselves people who have to deal with customers in their own job and will sympathize with the FA. And frankly, Jet Blue couldn't buy this kinda publicity for the price of an emergency chute.
While I find humor in the stunt, I cant imagine this is something you can coach/train an employee on. He went a little too far and likely broke airline or FAA regulations. My guess is he wont be welcome in the skies ever again for Jet Blue or any other airline.

I agree, I doubt that it will play bad for Jet Blue free publicity.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
The real criminals here are the people with all the "hero worship". They insure this guy will be on every talk show, in every magazine, on every TV channel ad nauseum. "Reality show" of course, probably helping other people go out in a "blaze of glory". And it will be cute and funny until one of these idiot copycatters does something really stupid and some innocent bystander gets hurt.

Yes, he did what lots of people would like to do. BUT THEY DON'T. It's called being grown up. And it is a great way to leave a crappy job, assuming of course you just won the lottery and don't plan on working anymore.

Before teenagers took over TV and now anyone who can cry on cue gets their own "reality show", we would all applaud this guy, we would go back to work, and he would disappear into the streets. Now of course we will have to listen to his version of events over and over and over and over... I'm wondering how many people will copy this in some form over the next few weeks expecting the same "hero worship".
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
The real criminals here are the people with all the "hero worship". They insure this guy will be on every talk show, in every magazine, on every TV channel ad nauseum. "Reality show" of course, probably helping other people go out in a "blaze of glory". And it will be cute and funny until one of these idiot copycatters does something really stupid and some innocent bystander gets hurt.

Yes, he did what lots of people would like to do. BUT THEY DON'T. It's called being grown up. And it is a great way to leave a crappy job, assuming of course you just won the lottery and don't plan on working anymore.

Before teenagers took over TV and now anyone who can cry on cue gets their own "reality show", we would all applaud this guy, we would go back to work, and he would disappear into the streets. Now of course we will have to listen to his version of events over and over and over and over... I'm wondering how many people will copy this in some form over the next few weeks expecting the same "hero worship".
Geez, lighten up! The stunt was amusing, nobody was hurt (except for the FA himself before he quit!), and it made for great Post and Daily News headlines. If a copycat does something stupid that puts somebody in harms way, that's not Steven Slater's fault.

And people who would like to do don't eschew it because they are "grown ups", but because they're scared of the repercussions.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by amejr999
JetBlue's not union. In any event, this guy caused a plane to be taken out of service and a dent to JB's reputation. He deserves to be fired IMO.
Damn it, the one time I'm proUnion and there isn't one.
That is a good point about the plane having to be taken out of service.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by raehl311
As it just so happens, I run a small business where a significant component of the process is dealing with less-than-ideal customers. Although I don't have any emergency exit slides, I have over the past couple of years had a couple people reach a level of frustration with the customer that ultimately results in a poor decision that costs me a a not insignificant chunk of change.

More of then than not, I give the person some admonishment, some training, and then laugh about it with others, with some envy that, being the owner of the business, I don't have the luxury of occasionally being able to give the customers what they deserve.

It took Jet Blue 20 minutes to call the cops. There were probably a group of people sitting together trying to weigh their responsibility to report it against their recognition that some of their passengers really are dicks along with envy that they didn't have the balls to do it.

I honestly don't think this will play poorly for Jet Blue at all. Most potential customers are either frequent passengers who have dealt with other poor passengers, or are themselves people who have to deal with customers in their own job and will sympathize with the FA. And frankly, Jet Blue couldn't buy this kinda publicity for the price of an emergency chute.

I would never counsel anyone to display similar behavior, but I none-the-less applaud the performance. Hopefully the FA gets a fine and a suspension but ultimately their job back. I can only imagine the number of other "real Americans" who work day in and day out fantasizing about doing something similar but just are not able to pull the trigger.

Here's to you, JetBlue Commuter Jet Emergency Slide Evacuator, you're a Real Man of Genius (esp. if he grabbed two budweiser.)
As I read the first paragraph in this post, I thought I was going to give a big "+1." My opinion, however, diverges 180 degrees from that point on.

I, too, am involved with a business in which there is a significant component of dealing with difficult "customers." The difference is, that, in my business, "customer safety" is a huge component. Employees have not only a responsibility for maintaining composure in the interest of business development but also in the interest of keeping things safe and maximizing outcomes.

My impression is that FAs, as a job category, value the safety aspect of their positions highly. That is, they are not simply flying waiters. In this light, this FA's actions are not defensible. He is, at least in part, responsible for peoples' lives.

Anyone who is applauding this guy's theatrical exit is demeaning the importance of FAs. Any FAs who are applauding what he did deserve to be considered flying waiters.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, he did what lots of people would like to do. BUT THEY DON'T. It's called being grown up.
@:-)

I give the guy credit for the panache, but it was a stupid move on many levels. Glad there wasn't a catering truck outside the door or a maintenance vehicle approaching the plane. That could have been quite a mess.

It is also a bit strange that the guy took the time to fish a couple beers out of the bar cart, but what do I know....
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
props to this guy! ^
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, AC Super Elite, DL Plat, NW Gold, CO Gold Elite, BA Gold, PR Elite,

CALL me an IDIOT but if Jet Blue and other airlines backed
up their cabin crews when pax are wrong and at the same time
keep the over zelous ones from jumping the gun, I think scenes like
this would not happen. Paying cumstomers are NOT always right.
I travel over 400k miles per year and I see almost every week how
FAs are treated like servants by some pax and ignored when they ask
pax to sit down, return to their seats, or turn off the phone.

I think this FA, while doing the wrong thing, tried to make best of a very bad personal situation. Other would have taken that bag and retaliated with it on the pax's head. FA Slatter just took his job and shoved it in his own very unique way as for the future copycats? They are the brainless, unoriginal, idoits. Let them sit and rot.

Last edited by [email protected]; Aug 10, 2010 at 9:04 am Reason: syntex
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
@:-)

I give the guy credit for the panache, but it was a stupid move on many levels. Glad there wasn't a catering truck outside the door or a maintenance vehicle approaching the plane. That could have been quite a mess.
Not to mention if the engines were running...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by cwe84
he just did what every F/A only dreams of doing!
Or any employee for that matter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.