FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetBlue IFC deploys emergency slide
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:43 am
schwarm

Originally Posted by raehl311
As it just so happens, I run a small business where a significant component of the process is dealing with less-than-ideal customers. Although I don't have any emergency exit slides, I have over the past couple of years had a couple people reach a level of frustration with the customer that ultimately results in a poor decision that costs me a a not insignificant chunk of change.

More of then than not, I give the person some admonishment, some training, and then laugh about it with others, with some envy that, being the owner of the business, I don't have the luxury of occasionally being able to give the customers what they deserve.

It took Jet Blue 20 minutes to call the cops. There were probably a group of people sitting together trying to weigh their responsibility to report it against their recognition that some of their passengers really are dicks along with envy that they didn't have the balls to do it.

I honestly don't think this will play poorly for Jet Blue at all. Most potential customers are either frequent passengers who have dealt with other poor passengers, or are themselves people who have to deal with customers in their own job and will sympathize with the FA. And frankly, Jet Blue couldn't buy this kinda publicity for the price of an emergency chute.

I would never counsel anyone to display similar behavior, but I none-the-less applaud the performance. Hopefully the FA gets a fine and a suspension but ultimately their job back. I can only imagine the number of other "real Americans" who work day in and day out fantasizing about doing something similar but just are not able to pull the trigger.

Here's to you, JetBlue Commuter Jet Emergency Slide Evacuator, you're a Real Man of Genius (esp. if he grabbed two budweiser.)
As I read the first paragraph in this post, I thought I was going to give a big "+1." My opinion, however, diverges 180 degrees from that point on.

I, too, am involved with a business in which there is a significant component of dealing with difficult "customers." The difference is, that, in my business, "customer safety" is a huge component. Employees have not only a responsibility for maintaining composure in the interest of business development but also in the interest of keeping things safe and maximizing outcomes.

My impression is that FAs, as a job category, value the safety aspect of their positions highly. That is, they are not simply flying waiters. In this light, this FA's actions are not defensible. He is, at least in part, responsible for peoples' lives.

Anyone who is applauding this guy's theatrical exit is demeaning the importance of FAs. Any FAs who are applauding what he did deserve to be considered flying waiters.