Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Osaka Dining Options

Whilst there is a thread for
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...reet-food.html

And another asking about the best sushi in Osaka:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...mendation.html (best not to read past post 7 unless you are really, really bored)

Ron Steakhouse gets a mention in another forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ml#post6229762
(Made an impression as he mentions it again here)
Here's a photo review showing what the diner got at lunch time for 2,675yen

on the whole, the Japanese city most celebrated for its food and restaurants gets short shrift in this forum.

I don't know Osaka or its restaurant scene too well, so I've plundered the blog of a local who does.

This is a map I've prepared showing well rated and low cost dining options in the Osaka dining area. Be aware that the low price for most of the dishes shown applies to the lunch specials only. Evening prices may be much more.

The map is tailored for a friend of mine who will be spending a few days in the city. It reflects her budget (£ vs Yen is not good at the moment) and only includes Japanese choices - they are themed into sushi, okonomiyaki, tempura/fry, noodles, flame grilled and general Japanese. Those preceded with 5* or 4.5* have the highest ratings but all seem like fine choices.

Osaka Restaurants Map - affordable good fare in Osaka please note when this thread was created - prices and other details may well have changed.

I would have liked to have just added this to an existing thread, but none seemed appropriate.

Last edited by LapLap; Dec 23, 2013 at 2:47 am Reason: Dead link somehow resuscitated
Old May 14, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
LapLap, thanks for the info. I am going to Osaka for Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't see the places on the map that you mentioned. It may be because I don't read Japanese. I also read the other threads you put out there and did a search. Unfortunately, I have a few more questions:

1. Does anyone have a favorite restaurant that might be a classified as "a dive" or a "hole in the wall"?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice meal? I'd really like to spend not too much more than $100US.

3. Is the street food so incredible that I should plan on it for at least one or two meals?

4. Is there any place that you have been to that is a "must do"?

5. Is there a McDonalds in Osaka?

OK, just kidding on the last question. But, I would appreciate any information and suggestions that people have on the others.

And, this is a bit off topic here, but any hotel recommendations that are a great value at any price?

Last edited by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1; May 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm Reason: Added hotel question
Old May 14, 2009, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
I am going to Osaka for Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't see the places on the map that you mentioned.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this comment.
What do you mean that you can't 'see' the places on the map?

The names of the places are indeed in Japanese, but I've linked to photos of each of the restaurants as well as a short description of what they serve and the sort of prices you can expect to pay for them. If you were interested in any in particular, just copying and pasting the information onto this thread would let one of us tell you more about it.
It's just too much work to do this for every entry, but you should have enough information to make an initial choice for yourself.

My friends came here for the 1,500yen sushi lunch:
(fish on a hook symbol)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9,0.00338&z=19
無鮨 むら田 - ムウズシムラタ Muzushi Murata, the address is Dojima 1-3-33
And said it was one of the best meals they had on their trip.

3. Is the street food so incredible that I should plan on it for at least one or two meals?
I don't think that actual 'street food' (yatai) is incredible anywhere in Japan
Nobody had any glowing recommendations to contradict this impression in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...reet-food.html

My suggestion for 'street food' is to wander along Kuromon Market (a covered street with a plethora of shops and stalls selling food) and load up there. There's definitely enough food on offer to satisfy at least two meals if that's how you want to eat, but I'd suggest going into the business district and getting one of the splendid lunch menus on offer instead. (The North entrance to Kuromon market is shown on that map I posted. Whether you eat there or not, it's most definitely a feast for the senses! )

Last edited by LapLap; May 14, 2009 at 4:18 pm
Old May 14, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Thanks for the advice. I guess when I first loaded the Google map, the icons did not show up where it was centered. So I panned out but still did not see it. This time I found the icons on the map. I hope this helps you understand my question earlier. I suppose I should have said, "I cannot find the places you mentioned on the map." Because, I certainly did "see" them. But, thanks for your help. I will definitely check out the business district and Kuromon Market.

What's that they say, "Two people separated by a common language"?
Old May 15, 2009, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What's that they say, "Two people separated by a common language"?
Not really - it was either that you couldn't 'see' the restaurants because the Japanese characters were coming out as gibberish on your screen or that you couldn't 'see' them because you lacked familiarity with the Google map tool.

I've removed the Mount Koya icons so the map should now centre/center on the city of Osaka.

I've concentrated on showing lunch time bargains in the business districts.
Old May 15, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
My interest was piqued by the Barack Obama noodle stand.

Look for the Friday, May 8 post.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Don't think this is in FT:
A restaurant which my friend and I think owned and operated by an ex-actress. sub1000 yen and always a queue. Mainly Rice with curry sauce and other snacks i have no clue what they are (I try to point randomly when i was there...)

http://www.jiyuken.co.jp/
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:43 pm
jhm

Thanks, LapLap. The Osaka street food link appears to be broken and doing a search on "Osaka street food", it doesn't seem to be one of the threads which comes up. Maybe something to fix when/if you have time (although I imagine you are rather busy at the moment - congratulations! ).
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by kaka
Don't think this is in FT:
A restaurant which my friend and I think owned and operated by an ex-actress. sub1000 yen and always a queue. Mainly Rice with curry sauce and other snacks i have no clue what they are (I try to point randomly when i was there...)

http://www.jiyuken.co.jp/
This place looks good. I will try when I walk back to Sheraton Miyako from Shinsaibasi next time I visit Osaka. I think the dishes would look more appealing to most people here if raw eggs were not on them. What is the name of the actress who owns this place? I wasn't able to find in their web site.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhm
Thanks, LapLap. The Osaka street food link appears to be broken and doing a search on "Osaka street food", it doesn't seem to be one of the threads which comes up. Maybe something to fix when/if you have time (although I imagine you are rather busy at the moment - congratulations! ).
Thanks jhm!

That thread seems to have vanished, I can't find it anymore either. It was useless for suggestions anyway.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:47 pm

For Osaka street food I'm a big fan of Sammy's Ebisu Plaza in Dotonbori. It's a food theme park with around 50 different food vendors selling dumplings, yakitori, and lots of things I've never even heard of. The sake bar on the bottom floor is well worth a visit.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I would join in the praise for Ron Steakhouse. Best. Beef. Ever.

In thinking about the next trip to Japan for Mr. Megatop and me, I'm seriously considering working in at least one night in Osaka, and the reason is Ron. Not kidding.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kats
This place looks good. I will try when I walk back to Sheraton Miyako from Shinsaibasi next time I visit Osaka. I think the dishes would look more appealing to most people here if raw eggs were not on them. What is the name of the actress who owns this place? I wasn't able to find in their web site.
i do not have a clue: it was just from the visual clues i saw in the place for us to conclude

and there is a version without the egg... but what the, there are raw eggs in most cold desserts, carbonara and so on.

japan is the last place you should worry about salmonella in eggs..... :^)
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I would join in the praise for Ron Steakhouse. Best. Beef. Ever.

In thinking about the next trip to Japan for Mr. Megatop and me, I'm seriously considering working in at least one night in Osaka, and the reason is Ron. Not kidding.
Totally agree^.

Been going to Ron's at least once a year for the past 7-8 years.

Grilled abalone with the famous Ron's steak. My mouth water's just thinking about it. Looking forward to November when we will go again.

Supposedly they have a sister location in Chicago.
According to my father in law, steak isn't quite the same.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'll reopen this thread to thank the OP for some helpful info for this first timer to KIX. ^ The Udon noodle stops seem good options for lunch so the recommendations will come in handy.

I've heard many times how expensive Japan is but can someone put that into more perspective. For example, roughly how much should I budget for meals per day? If lunch is, say, JPY800-1200 will an evening meal at an average restaurant run me double that? Am in looking at JPY4000-5000 per day, roughly? What would other costs like soft drinks or coffee run? Museum entrance fees? How about breakfast ideas or input?

I like to try the local cuisine and eat as well as my budget will allow so am just trying to get an idea of rough amounts before landing. I did get the UA air at a incredibly low price, and DEQM to boot , and got a good agent rate at the Swissotel Nankai Osaka so those costs were a lot lower than they normally are but wasn't as sure about the travelling expenses or cost of living. I'm staying 6 nights and about 5.5 days so I'm there for a good time, not a long time.

Thanks for any input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.