Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indufan
I have been meaning to point this place out for a while. Canarsie, it's close enough for you to try it.

Sunset Grill Steaks & Seafood in Covington, Georgia.

http://covingtonhospitality.com/homepage.htm
I did not even know about this place.

Thank you, indufan!
Originally Posted by millburnmike
Chicago Chop House: Pure steak in a classic setting.

Shula's: Very nice filet. Best "chain" steakhouse IMO.

NYC steakhouses are overrated and overpriced. I've tried most of them and have had mixed results at almost all of the independents. Gallaghers and Sparks varied from sometimes great - other times lousy, but always expensive.
I agree with virtually everything stated here.

Gallagher’s was absolutely horrible. I could have easily purchased a better cut of beef at the local supermaket, and it did not have much flavor. The salad was terrible as well. The service was lousy. The waters were abrupt. The atmosphere was noisy. Worst of all, dinner was rather expensive. There is not one thing I liked or could say positively about Gallagher’s. I will never eat there again. Avoid this steakhouse at all costs.

Of course, I enjoyed the original Shula’s in Miami Lakes before it became a “chain” steakhouse. The one at Walt Disney World simply was not as good.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I did not even know about this place.

Thank you, indufan!
You are welcome.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Gallagher’s was absolutely horrible.
Which is funny because the NY Strip isn't my favorite steak but it is the speciality at the Vegas version of Gallagher's, so I had it. Cholula had one too. I really liked it. I think he did too. We had some pre-visit problems we this place but the food was good. Ironically, Cholula and I both like Ruth's Chris and both had a bad experience in Vegas there.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Grill 23 in Boston and La Cambalaycha (sp?) in Mexico City have been my favorites so far. Most overrated probably DelFriscos in Dallas but their creamed spinach was yummy.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I have to second Bern's. Was just there last week (TWICE... gotta love business dinners ) and the winelist is beyond astonishing. My favorite part was the kitchen and wine cellar tour. The place is just... amazing. The service is superlative and the food is exquisite. Definitely one of the best steakhouses I've EVER been to.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:09 pm
Suspended

All of these American steak houses serve the same stuff. It's a charred hunk of meat that is sized depending upon the cut to keep the price roughly the same for each. They all essentially feature the same side dishes that you order a la carte. I've never been to any that was overly impressive. Having a plate that is plain chunk of meat with a parsley spring just seems an insult to my palette.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by gsilliman
For Argentina, I would nominate Cabana las Lilas. From the steak on your plate, they manage the supply chain all the way back to the cattle breeding -- all the beef comes from their own ranch. Probably the best steaks in the world. Haven't had one since 2000, and I still think about them.

In NYC, I like Peter Luger (porterhouse for 2 tastes almost like argentina), and Sparks (better service, more comfortabel than Pater Luger)

I agree, Cabana is great, and Peter Luger is a good one if you cannot get to Argentina
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by thegeneral
All of these American steak houses serve the same stuff. It's a charred hunk of meat that is sized depending upon the cut to keep the price roughly the same for each. They all essentially feature the same side dishes that you order a la carte. I've never been to any that was overly impressive. Having a plate that is plain chunk of meat with a parsley spring just seems an insult to my palette.
I remember having read of Alain Ducasse talking of the pleasure of having a really good steak that he pan sears at his house. But then again, what does he know of food?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:51 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Was taken to Gotham Steakhouse here in Vancouver for dinner last week. Simply amazing and I thought it to be better than Hy's and Morton's also in Vancouver.

Our party of four had the New York strip, Filet Mignon and the Prime Rib and each piece was cooked to perfection. Each had its distinct taste and was heavenly. The sides were really good, especially the cauliflower gratin and their onion rings!!

I just love a wonderful steak, perfectly cooked to rare, with a little butter and some salt. Absolutely heavenly!!

Amongst the best in the world..... no idea. Was it darn good? Yes!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Osaka - Ron Steakhouse

In Osaka, Japan.

Hands down, it is Ron Steakhouse. (Yes there is a missing 's but it is no typo)

Address: Steak Ron Bldg 1F 10-2 1chome Sonezaki Shinchi
Ask any cab driver in Osaka.

"Bill Clinton's favorite Japanese steakhouse", they usually host the hollywood stars as they tour Japan. I was there when the MI3 ontourage took over one floor. They have a Kobe beef fillet is out of this world but bring a wad of cash because it is VERY expensive.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by kanebear
I have to second Bern's. Was just there last week (TWICE... gotta love business dinners ) and the winelist is beyond astonishing. My favorite part was the kitchen and wine cellar tour. The place is just... amazing. The service is superlative and the food is exquisite. Definitely one of the best steakhouses I've EVER been to.
Berns is definitely on my top 3 list & I'm hoping to get back a couple more times this year. I'm glad y'all did the tour - I knew you'd enjoy it! Did you make it up to the dessert room?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Wolfgang Puck's Cut

I ate at Cut recently, Wolfgang Puck's new (and first) steakhouse inside the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills. Hands down the best steak I have ever had in the USA, if not the world. A few in Buenos Aires might rival it, but I think Cut trumps them all (though I believe for consistantly better steak, BsAs wins hands down over anything Stateside). At any rate, Wolfgang's team even cuts it up for you like mom used to do! The beef on the menu is exhaustive (posted below). I had the Idaho New York Sirloin.

U.S.D.A. PRIME, Illinois Corn Fed, Aged 21 Days

Kansas City Sirloin 20 Oz $44

Bone In Rib Eye Steak 20 Oz $48

Bone In Filet Mignon 16 Oz $46

Petit Cut Filet Mignon 7 Oz $34

U.S.D.A. PRIME, Nebraska Corn Fed, Dry Aged 35 Days

New York Sirloin 14 Oz $48

Petit Cut New York 8 Oz $34

American Wagyu / Angus “Kobe Style” Beef From Snake River Farms, Idaho

Porterhouse 32 Oz (For Two) Per Person $ 60

New York Sirloin 8 Oz $70

Filet Mignon 6 Oz $55

True Japanese 100% Wagyu Beef from Kujisawa Prefecture, Kyushu, Japan

Rib Eye $160 For 8 Oz ($20 Each Additional Ounce)

Double Thick Kurobuta Pork Chop $36

Grilled Sonoma Lamb Chops $48

Organic Poussin Cooked On The Rotisserie $38

Sashimi Quality Big Eye Tuna Steak $38
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: Virgin, Qantas Platinum
The Best Fillet Steak in the World

I nominate 'The Balkan Restaurant' Oxford Street (Near Taylor Square) Sydney, Australia. This family-run Restaurant has been going about 30 years!!!

Starter: Whitebait
+ side of Garlic Bread

Main: Fillet Steak - order a side of 'chips' - they are freshly cooked in Olive Oil and come with a 'chippies darling' from the waitress.

The Balkan is now licensed, but is still BYO- and there is a great little 'Bottle Shop' a few doors up.

Can't be beaten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^
Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Ringside Steakhouse in Portland, OR
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Smile Scott's!

I've been to Scott's Seafood & Grill in the South Coast Metro area in Costa Mesa, CA. The filet is always prepared just right! Save room for the Chocolate Riot Cake for dessert!

Seating availability seems to increase after 7:30 PM as most of the diners finish up and leave for the Performing Arts Theatre next door.

http://scottsseafood.com/southcoast/home.html

Steve
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
A few well off the beaten path...

Saddle Peak Lodge (Calabassas, CA) Not just beef but game (buffalo, Elk, Venison) steaks to die for. Zagats always ranks them in the top 10 of L.A. even though they are so far from the "fashionable" parts of town you need to make an expedition...

Johnny McNally's Fairview Lodge (River Kern, CA, north of Lake Isabella) - Perhaps the best steak on the planet, from locally raised beef. No fancy atmosphere to speak of, just good food at good prices. The 44oz "logger" is buttery tender meat and a meal for a small family...and still less than $30!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.