Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:47 pm

Which one? When is the last time you ate there?

Originally Posted by torrancerealestate2007
If you're in Los Angeles, try Pacific Dining Car. A classic stop for steaks, and a classy place to dine.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Georges, in the Pompidou Ctr, Paris, France. We had the Chateaubriand for 2 which was delicious! The whipped potatoes were like dessert.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by sorro
The best steak I've had was the Kansas City strip from Dickie Brennan's steakhouse in New Orleans. The flavor was just amazing, and they cooked it to perfection. I've had a lot of steaks, but this one took the cake. Of course, I haven't had Kobe beef, so that may be better.
I'll add another vote for Brennan's. I had steak stuffed with something wonderful.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, US Dividend Miles, AWA Flight Fund
I've just moved from Washington DC to Scottsdale AZ and was stunned to find out that my baby brother (OK, he's 33, but still my baby brother) works at one of the best steak restaturants I've been to in a long time... it's called Drinkwater's City Hall, Camelback Road across the street from Scottsdale Fashion Square. Awesome, awesome lamb chops too...
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:59 pm

Cabana Las Islas and Parilla 1880 (San Telmo) in BsAs.

L'Entrecot in Porte Maillot in Paris. I'll have to try the London branch next month.

Grew up in NYC and Peter Lugar's is the best for what it is.

Rays the Steaks in Alexandria was my favorite in DC but left DC before the Silver Spring version opened up.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I did not see anybody mention South Africa. While not well known for its meat, and the beef is probably not as good as the Argentine variety, the meat and beef I have had there has been excellent. Much better than anything I've ever had in the US and definately Europe.

Some good restaurants I've been to:
-Butcher Shop and Grill in Sandton (popular with business types and they prepare great biltong)
-The Cradle north of Fourways (they serve some fantastic venison/game, and the location itself is worth a detour)
-The Grillhouse also in Sandton
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I just tried the Buenos Aires in NYC, located near the Wall Street District. Great steaks, terrific staff, good value in NYC.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Peter Luger has the best steaks in the world. Period. No comparison.
If you look at Zagats, it's rated 28 (out of 30) for food. No steakhouse anywhere in the world is ranked higher, or even as high as 28.

So what if they only take cash and you have to shlep to Brooklyn. It's well worth the trip.

Any client I've ever taken there for dinner I've made my b*tch forever. They never stop talking about it.

New York is The Ultimate Home Court Advantage because of places like Peter Luger.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
For Those Who Attend Notre Dame Football . . .

here are a couple of places frequented by ND fans that are as good as any of the famous steak houses in the big cities in the east:

1. Heinnie's Back Barn (my personal favorite), 1726 W. Lusher Avenue, Elkhart, Indiana--incredible locals place, one of the best value for money places around, they serve a number of steak cuts on sizzling platters, and the steaks can be ordered smothered in onions, mushrooms or both. The best steak on the menu, with all the trimmings and a glass of wine, sets you back around $30.

2. Heston Bar, County Road 1000 N, LaPorte County, Indiana (five miles north and three miles east of Indiana Toll Road Exit 49). This place charges Chicago prices, but the beef is out of this world, and this place, despite being in the middle of nowhere, has a premium bar and wine collection. A true hidden gem.

Honorable Mention--Maury's (aka Pat's Colonial Pub), Mishawaka, Indiana (near Logan Street bridge over St. Joseph River)--excellent prime rib and steaks served inside a shrine dedicated to Notre Dame athletics--any ND fan new to the area needs to check this place out.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I did not see anybody mention South Africa. While not well known for its meat, and the beef is probably not as good as the Argentine variety, the meat and beef I have had there has been excellent. Much better than anything I've ever had in the US and definately Europe.

Some good restaurants I've been to:
-Butcher Shop and Grill in Sandton (popular with business types and they prepare great biltong)
-The Cradle north of Fourways (they serve some fantastic venison/game, and the location itself is worth a detour)
-The Grillhouse also in Sandton
Beef is quite good in South Africa, it is mostly grass fed and leaner than in the US (this seems to be a southern hemisphere thing, Australia, Argentina and S.A. all share this approach to beef, and I do prefer it over the US feedlot approach).

The Butcher shop is good, but there is a similar restaurant in Pretoria which is a lot better. Unfortunately I cannot remember its name, but it is well known (I asked my driver from the Sheraton).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:24 pm

Well for the money it is hard to beat Buenos Aires.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:55 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Im there!! Thanks.
If you are in Melbourne anytime, try Vlados in Bridge Rd Richmond. It has been going for years, but is still the best steakhouse in Melbourne, and one of the best in Australia. I also have to say that I much prefer the flavour of grass feed beef compared to its lot fed equivalent.

I have yet to find a decent steak house in New Zealand, but some of my Kiwi colleagues will have a comment on that, and no doubt savage me.

Last edited by WellingtonFF; Mar 31, 2007 at 4:06 am
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:27 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by Road King
I've tasted some great steaks fom New York to San Francisco (both chains and small holes in the wall) but have to say, the best one's are at my own kitchen table!
I love the Hitching Post in Casmalia. That's red oak country, and I did learn my way around a grill growing up near there. So, when I want a guaranteed world class steak done exactly the way I like it, I hit Iowa Meat Farms here in San Diego for a couple of grain fed dry aged New Yorks, like I did last night.

A little sea salt, some ground pepper, and my undivided attention for about 22 minutes produced the ideal steak, IMHO. Two minutes more and my wife's was done just like she likes it. Pan of mushrooms and baked potatoes with grilled artichokes and garlic bread . . .

Not that cheap. 30 oz for $30, but mmm-mmm! Steak sandwiches for dinner tonight, too.

I liked the Chicago Chop House, and I have a soft spot for Alfred's in San Francisco, but the Casmalia Hitching Post is the gold standard for me. Red oak rules!
Old Apr 3, 2007, 7:58 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
The best steak I've had in the US was a place outside of San Diego called Prime 10 (though I think they may have closed by now). Others that have been posted that I've also enjoyed are LG's in Palm Desert, The Steakhouse at Circus Circus and Gibson's in Chicago (Downtown), one more that I didn't see posted is Spenser's in Spokane. I would say that LG's and Spenser's would be tied for second and the others tied for 3rd.

In Boston (my hometown) it would be Abe & Louie's.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by kanebear
I have to second Bern's. Was just there last week (TWICE... gotta love business dinners ) and the winelist is beyond astonishing. My favorite part was the kitchen and wine cellar tour. The place is just... amazing. The service is superlative and the food is exquisite. Definitely one of the best steakhouses I've EVER been to.
Just went to Berns again a couple of weeks ago. Still stellar, one of the best restaurant experiences I've ever had.

Heading off to BsAs later this month to see what the Argentinian steak buzz is all about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.