Wiki Posts
Search

Osaka street food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Osaka street food

OK TItle says it all, may I have your best tips for street food. I have five nights from Feb 22-26.

Daytime is taken up with trips to places like Kyoto, Hiroshima etc etc but we really want to do the street food thing.

I welcome the tips

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: DL CO UA
you will probably get a faster & more informative answers if you post this in the forum:

Travel&Dining: Destination >> The World >> Japan
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:43 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Happy to oblige the thread's move to our Travel->Japan forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Osaka is best known for okonomiyaki, which is too floury to be an omelet and too eggy to be a pancake. It's made on a grill in front of you, and has your choice of vegetables, meats, and seafood cooked in. Then it is slathered with ribbons of mayonnaise and steak sauce. Filling and delicous.

If you're referring to actual foods that you can find in street booths, as opposed to hole-in-the-wall restaurants, the standards throughout Japan are raamen noodles, oden (a kind of seafood stew), yakitori (chicken shishkebabs--be sure you're not getting skin or guts, both of which are options), yakisoba (fried noodles), corn on the cob with soy sauce, Okinawan-style doughnuts, shave ice (summer only), takoyaki (deep-fried octopus), taiyaki (fish-shaped cakes filled with bean jam), roasted chestnuts, charcoal roasted yams, and a host of others, which other FlyerTalkers will probably remember. Some of these vendors come out only at night. Others are most common at shrine or temple festivals, and in a city the size of Osaka, some shrine or temple is always having a festival.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Takoyaki is the classic Osaka street food, and if you walk around any trafficked area of the city in the evening you will almost certainly find a takoyaki cart pretty quickly.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Go to Shinsekai in Osaka. That's ground zero for cheap and classic Osaka eats.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Happy to oblige the thread's move to our Travel->Japan forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Happy to follow your advise and thanks to all who have replied so far
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:28 am

Not that there's street food, but a trip to Osaka isn't without going to Doutonbori.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Osaka is one of my favorite cities in Japan.

You might have seen this, if not click or copy/paste this link for Osaka food culture story:
http://www.osaka-info.jp/en/culture/2007may/07.html

Same web site has full treatment of Osaka tourism.

SInce you are there in the winter, you must try shabu-shabu at dinner.

Kita area – for entertainment and shopping

Dotombori area – for restaurants, street food, shopping and just walk and browse (Namba Station, Exit #14)

Shinsaibashi – for shopping, fashion, restaurants and nightlife

If you are touring on your own (not with organized tour group), then look into getting a Kansai Pass that covers trains and bus transportantion.

Tell us a bit more of what you plan to do, FTers in this sub-forum maybe of further help.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
If you happen to have a day or part of a day in Osaka, you might also want to wander over to Osaka Castle--there are usually festival-style food vendors parked around there, especially on weekends and holidays.

It's a cool castle, too, if you can ignore the giant elevator sticking out of the side.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

WE will get into Osaka 22nd Feb spend 23 in Osaka. 24 Hiroshima, 25 Nara, 26 Kyoto and 27th Osaka and lfy back in the evening. WE will stay each night in ANA / CRowne Plaza. I am sure the train pass will be a big help. Thanks again to everyone so far
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by bizclassboy
WE will get into Osaka 22nd Feb spend 23 in Osaka. 24 Hiroshima, 25 Nara, 26 Kyoto and 27th Osaka and lfy back in the evening. WE will stay each night in ANA / CRowne Plaza. I am sure the train pass will be a big help. Thanks again to everyone so far
It seems that your itinerary is already set but I'll take a stab at this - - -

I suggest changing the 27th to another night in Kyoto. One day/night is simply not sufficient to see and do what you will want to see and do. You already have a couple of nights in Osaka at the beginning of your stay. In fact, I'd suggest combining Kyoto and Nara into a 3 night stay and just use the local train to get to/from Nara.

For the departure day, it is just as easy to depart out of KIX by leaving from Kyoto as it is from Osaka - less than 30 minutes more on the airport train.

All those one day/night stays in different locations seem very wearing and an inefficient way to see the country.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
All those one day/night stays in different locations seem very wearing and an inefficient way to see the country.
Absolutely agree.

If I were the OP, I might spend the first night in Osaka. Second night in Hiroshima (or maybe on Miyajima, since it looks like a Monday, which means better prices and availability on the island). Then all subsequent nights in Kyoto.
As for the Rail pass. I haven't done the sums. It might not be worth it ...
If the OP is spending his whole time in Chugoku and Kansai, the JR West pass would be enough.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:49 pm

Yeah, the JR Rail pass isn't always worth it.

One thing to note for Kyoto - There's a small tourist info booth outside Kyoto station. You can get an all-day bus pass there for 500 yen. Excellent deal.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Yeah, the JR Rail pass isn't always worth it.

One thing to note for Kyoto - There's a small tourist info booth outside Kyoto station. You can get an all-day bus pass there for 500 yen. Excellent deal.
I think the OP can use a 4-day JR West pass which can be used on the Loop line as well (including to/from KIX). Save the hassle of buying tickets all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.