Uber in Tokyo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I don't know about the the latest version, but the older versions all gave your first name to the driver. Frankly I found it a bit weird being called by my first name by a black car driver in Tokyo. I'd prefer Uber not try to impose it's quaint California culture on the rest of the world.

And BTW - I heard 40% of the Uber customers in Tokyo are foreigners.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:35 am

JapanTaxi app introduced support for a few new languages. It now supports English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Korean in addition to Japanese.
https://japantaxi.co.jp/news/cat-app...01/13/app.html

iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/japa...481647073?mt=8
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...data.japantaxi

Oddly (or rather not at all unusual for Japan) comments state the Android version requires a Japanese mobile number. My guess is also not a 050 IP Phone.

Last edited by freecia; Feb 6, 2017 at 1:42 am
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:59 am

I've now totally switched to the Japan Taxi app. Black cars from Uber are nicer, but in most every other respect Japan Taxi is much better.

I have to believe that Uber HQ is totally ignoring input from Uber Japan. The app's usability in Japan and pricing are just so off the wall that local management could not be responsible because no one is that dumb.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
I have to believe that Uber HQ is totally ignoring input from Uber Japan. The app's usability in Japan and pricing are just so off the wall that local management could not be responsible because no one is that dumb.
Someone must be using the service, otherwise there would be no drivers and no availability.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Someone must be using the service, otherwise there would be no drivers and no availability.
As PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute"
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I'm starting to really think that Tokyo taxis need more serious disruption.

I was taking the late night HND-LAX flight on Sunday and booked a fixed-fare taxi from Hinomaru to pick me up at 9 pm. Driver showed up a few minutes ahead of schedule and we were off.

There are two intelligent ways to get to the international terminal: the fastest way is to make a right just before passing through the domestic terminal complex and then take the tunnel under the airport to emerge on the north side of the international terminal. The other somewhat acceptable way is to take Shuto route 1 around the west side of the airport (Seibijo/Tenkubashi/Kampachi-dori). But my driver decided to blow straight through the domestic terminal complex, made a right on Kampachi, circled around the south side of the airport, and tried to turn into the international terminal the wrong way, reaching a "Do Not Enter" sign where traffic was coming out. At this point, I realized he was using an older GPS that didn't have the international terminal in it.

Now the driver was totally lost, and didn't know what to do. I told him that he needed to go in from the other side of the terminal, so he maneuvered back out to Kampachi and into the parking entrance. He then proceeded into the taxi pick-up area (which is NOT where taxis are supposed to drop off, and there are signs clearly saying so).

At this point I just wanted to get out, and didn't have much luggage, so I told him to stop somewhere and let me out. He insisted on taking me closer to the entrance and managed to piss off half of the taxi drivers waiting in the pick-up line as he maneuvered around them. Finally, we got to a spot close to the escalator and I handed over my credit card to pay.

He proceeded to swipe the card while the meter was showing the ordinary fare of >10,000 yen. I told him to stop because I booked the fixed fare of 6,800. He insisted that I hadn't booked the fixed fare. I pointed to the kanji on his screen showing that I had. By this point, the charge for >10,000 was already going through and the credit slip was printing out. The exasperated driver handed over 4,000 yen in cash and asked me to sign the charge for the full fare, while getting honked at by other taxi drivers.

I will probably try Uber next time, as they offer what appears to be substantially the same pricing as taxis to/from HND.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:44 pm

Google Maps integrated with Japan Taxi app to provide start & end destinations, plus price estimate. They are promoting it with 1500 yen off with new registration. You still need use the Japan Taxi app (which requires a Japanese phone number to register).

http://mobilelaby.com/blog-entry-goo...apan-taxi.html
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Uber lists flat rate rides from Haneda to Minato Ward Zone 1 and Minato Ward Zone 2. But I can't find what areas those zones entail. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
MK Taxi, Hinomaru Taxi and others are now using their surplus vehicles for Uber due to coronavirus. I’ve been using them a lot lately as they are nicer than Nihon Kotsu taxis hailed via the Japan Taxi Wallet app, cooler due to better AC and generally available within 5 minutes in Minato-ku.

That said, all Uber price quotes I’ve had included highway driving for those journeys their app decided we’re best via highway. In 100% of the cases, the driver has avoided the highways despite the app and taken normal roads - at the cost of time. My question is, am I paying for those tolls and is Uber Or the driver pocketing the money due to their decision to avoid the app specified highway route? Or, in Japan for Uber (their website says every city is specific and there is no general rule), are the tolls added after the fact and on top of the price quote? The latter option seems very devious since the app shows the fixed price AND the route at the time of price quote....
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by ainternational
MK Taxi, Hinomaru Taxi and others are now using their surplus vehicles for Uber due to coronavirus. I’ve been using them a lot lately as they are nicer than Nihon Kotsu taxis hailed via the Japan Taxi Wallet app, cooler due to better AC and generally available within 5 minutes in Minato-ku.

That said, all Uber price quotes I’ve had included highway driving for those journeys their app decided we’re best via highway. In 100% of the cases, the driver has avoided the highways despite the app and taken normal roads - at the cost of time. My question is, am I paying for those tolls and is Uber Or the driver pocketing the money due to their decision to avoid the app specified highway route? Or, in Japan for Uber (their website says every city is specific and there is no general rule), are the tolls added after the fact and on top of the price quote? The latter option seems very devious since the app shows the fixed price AND the route at the time of price quote....
I have had kind of the opposite experience. I often tell the driver to take the expressway to save time, but I never see a separate item in the receipts for the tolls. Same for when they take the highway following the recommended route. I have a feeling, it's somehow build into the time/distance calculation so they don't charge extra for taking the highway.

Last edited by 5khours; Aug 27, 2020 at 5:36 am
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I have had kind of the opposite experience. I often tell the driver to take the expressway to save time, but I never see a separate item in the receipts for the tolls. Same for when they take the highway following the recommended route. I have a feeling, it's somehow build into the time/distance calculation so they don't charge extra for taking the highway.
Yes, that’s exactly how they are SCREWING ME! I am paying for those tolls (it’s built in as you say), but not getting the time savings of actually using the highway!

UPDATE: I have contacted Uber support about two such rides (I have Uber Diamond status with premium support but that likely doesn’t help in Japan - just like my Uber Eats Pass - stupid) and have received no response for going on 5 days. Lovely customer service.

Last edited by ainternational; Aug 29, 2020 at 5:49 am
Old Aug 29, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
IME the black cars always take the freeways when appropriate, so I wonder if it's just a taxi issue. Unfortunate but no real surprise Uber support is unresponsive.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:11 am

Yes, that’s exactly how they are SCREWING ME! I am paying for those tolls (it’s built in as you say), but not getting the time savings of actually using the highway!

UPDATE: I have contacted Uber support about two such rides (I have Uber Diamond status with premium support but that likely doesn’t help in Japan - just like my Uber Eats Pass - stupid) and have received no response for going on 5 days. Lovely customer service.
That's weird whenever I ask a driver to take the expressway, they always seem totally happy to do it.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:53 am

That's weird whenever I ask a driver to take the expressway, they always seem totally happy to do it.
I didn't ask them to do anything except follow standard Uber policy which is to follow the navigation route shown in the app. In fact, I said nothing to them at all because I do not speak Japanese.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:02 am

I didn't ask them to do anything except follow standard Uber policy which is to follow the navigation route shown in the app. In fact, I said nothing to them at all because I do not speak Japanese.
Traditionally cab/hire drivers have been reluctant to use the expressway because customers never wanted to pay the higher cost. I suspect some Uber drivers may be reluctant to take the highway because they don't want to get yelled at by customers who don't know the new system. I think the time savings generally works out in the driver's favor as well so there is no other reason I can think they would avoid the highway. You might try printing out a "高速で行ってください” (Take the Expressway) card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.