Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by armagebedar
-- and that's ignoring Uber's notorious surge pricing.
But it sure beats standing in the rain for an hour trying to flag a cab.

If Uber could partner with one of the smaller, unaffiliated Tokyo taxi companies (i.e. not Tokyo MK, Kokusai Motors or those tied to private railway operators) and strike a deal to get drivers to do Uber pickups when they are otherwise idle, that would seem to me to be the way to go if they want to expand outside the "Uber Black" hire car service.
+1
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gnaget
I don't understand the appeal of Uber unless availability or cleanliness and safety are major issues. They charge a significant premium to regular cabs. In DC I always use Washington Flyer to go to IAD because they always have nice cars and drivers; not sure what Uber would offer that is better. Some of the regular cabs in DC are horrific and now the rates are higher than in Virginia (used to be lower.)

In the US there is this ridiculous service called Lyft or something like that with pink mustaches attached to private cars.
Not that I had bad experience with Wash Flyer, but I prefer Uber to them. The first time I used it was from DCA to Georgetown and we got a nice Town Car. Used it a few other times getting a new model Lincoln, another Town Car with an amazing driver, and a Suburban (no extra charge since we only requested a black car). Honestly I prefer to use the Metro whenever possible, but when it came to needing car services, I definitely preferred Uber to Washington Flyer in terms of drivers and vehicles. Plus driving down Pennsylvania Ave in a black Suburban is kind of fun if you're easily entertained like me.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:05 pm

Did Uber for the first time in Tokyo. Did central Tokyo to Haneda. Excellent!

1. Used the app just like in NYC, no need to register for Tokyo or do anything different with the app.

2. Car arrived in 3 minutes.

3. Very comfortable car better than a taxi by far.

4. Good driver.

5. Charged to CC so no need to fumble with money.

6. 7500 yen which is less than what I always pay from the same location when either when I phone for a cab or flag one on the street.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm surprised they don't use Lexus LS600hls, Mercedes or other high end Japanese VIP sedans in Tokyo. In Seoul, I've gotten many Equuis and one S Class in Gangnam. It just makes for a more pleasant ride as the cars are luxury, clean, quiet and hassle free.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:01 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I believe there are still very few cars operating (4?), so as more operators join you might see more Fugas, Centurys, Benzes, and other higher-end cars.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I believe there are still very few cars operating (4?), so as more operators join you might see more Fugas, Centurys, Benzes, and other higher-end cars.
I was told there are currently about 20 cars operating.

I was in a Crown, but a high end model equipped with the "Ottoman" option for the rear left passenger.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:14 pm

Uber in Tokyo

Okay, good to know they've grown. Hopefully wait times will be more reasonable now.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Just used Uber for the first time, Roppongi Hills to Haneda. Here are my thoughts:

1.) The car arrived within 10 minutes, just a hair earlier than quoted. Since I was completing my check out, I texted the driver via the app and asked him to wait at the lobby. He was there and in sync with the hotel bell desk staff, awaiting my arrival, bags had been pre loaded.

2.) Very professional, courteous driver, identical to every other cab driver I've had from MK Taxi, etc when pre arranging transportation.

3.) The vehicle was marketed as a Corolla in the Uber app. It was larger than a standard taxi, but not one of the "high end" vehicles I generally reserve via MK (BMW, Lexus) for trips to and from Narita. It was comfortable - nothing special. No ottoman like 5khours mentioned in his vehicle. I particularly like that in the higher end sedans that MK uses. That and the seat coolers which are very helpful in the summer. Regarding aventine's comments above, I concur. Coming from sleek brand new Cadillac Escalades in San Francisco, these "standard" type sedans are a bit of a let down.

4.) Cost was almost exactly $75 USD, near identical to what I paid last time with a standard taxi to and from the same locations. Convenient to pay via the app, although AMEX immediately texted me a fraud warning. I find that hard to believe as I use Uber (in the States) all the time, and I haven't had an AMEX fraud warning in YEARS, even when using the card in SE Asia and other areas more prone to fraudulent charges.

Overall, it was a decent experience, but I see no real need to do it again. For my regular NRT transfers, I'll stick to my tried and true MK Taxi (although I am a bit curious to see how Uber would compare fare wise). For HND and other intra Tokyo routes, I think I'll simply continue to hop in the first available cab.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I used Uber a few weeks ago and got a big honkin' Toyota Century with massagers built into the back seats and curtains on the windows... felt like a prime minister only with better job security...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Just used Uber for the first time, Roppongi Hills to Haneda. Here are my thoughts:....

Overall, it was a decent experience, but I see no real need to do it again. For my regular NRT transfers, I'll stick to my tried and true MK Taxi (although I am a bit curious to see how Uber would compare fare wise). For HND and other intra Tokyo routes, I think I'll simply continue to hop in the first available cab.
IMHO, not needed most of the time when it's easier to just a grab a taxi even though it appears Uber is slightly cheaper than a taxi.

Compared to calling MK or KM, it's a little easier and quicker plus the payment is easier.

Be nice if you could specify the type of car.

I suspect I will use Uber instead of calling MK or KM.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:17 pm

Used Uber a few more times.

Nice if its hot or rainy and your not on major thoroughfare.

Little more expensive for short rides.

Usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to arrive.

Usually a nicer ride. Last was LH600.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:09 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
How easy is it to use Uber in Narita? I will be staying in Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu, which is about 4km from the Narita station. Their shuttle to/from Narita station is not very frequent, so I am wondering if it would be a good option to use Uber. Thanks!

Btw, I have US$20 in credit from some sign-up promotions earlier. Can I use it in Japan?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by swy
Btw, I have US$20 in credit from some sign-up promotions earlier. Can I use it in Japan?
No, credit is country specific.

Originally Posted by freecia
A friend told me she knows someone who sends his dates home in the SF area via Uber on his tab. Kind of classier than calling a cab and covering her cab fare with cash upfront.
Yes, lots of walks of shame on Uber. Some drivers will long route the ride if the person wants to stick it to the other. After 4 am usually no pickup is wearing shoes or properly dressed and sometimes they are really running from the house.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by swy
How easy is it to use Uber in Narita? I will be staying in Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu, which is about 4km from the Narita station. Their shuttle to/from Narita station is not very frequent, so I am wondering if it would be a good option to use Uber. Thanks!

Uber operates primarily in central Tokyo. Unless a driver carries a passenger to NRT and needs to pick up a passenger, or a driver turns on Uber while at NRT, I wouldn't count on finding a car randomly.

In your case would just as soon use a normal taxi; it should cost about 1,900-2,000 JPY.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Looks like they have adjusted the fare structure. I am seeing a peak fare for UberBlack which is 2.5 times more expensive than the off-time fare.

Also, Uber Japan has started UberTAXI and UberTAXILUX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.