Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:36 pm

U-mobile prepaid data sim

Wanted to throw in a review for the U-mobile prepaid data sim. I previously used the b-mobile visitors sim but it's only good for 14days. Since start to end we were going to be about 18days I looked around for another option. The sims I narrowed it down to were the Japan Travel Sim by iijmio and U-Mobile Prepaid Sim. The iijmio sim provided 2gb valid for 3months while the U-Mobile sim had a 15day and 30day option both 100mb/day at 4G and then throttled down to 128kbps unlimited. Both the iijmio and 30day U-Mobile sims were around 4000yen and data only; no SMS and voice.

I ended up choosing the U-Mobile sim (which was just a remarketed docomo sim) just because I liked the safety net of unlimited though I'm not sure if I could have went through 2gb over 18days (actually less since we were making a detour to Korea).

I picked it up from a Yodobashi store and it was pretty easy/standard to configure the settings. [There were a number of different pre-paid sim options at Yodobashi.] Coverage was very good for touring around Osaka, Nara, Kinosaki, Kyoto, and areas in between. Did have some issues in a few basements but that's likely more due to reception than coverage. Was able to tether the laptop and the wife's phone off my phone with the U-Mobile sim no problem. I tried a Skype call off my wife's phone tethered to my phone and reception was apparently good on both ends.
Overall, I was pretty happy with the U-Mobile sim and would consider purchasing one on a future trip.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by askmrlee
The best part is that this is an unlimited plan meaning unlimited worldwide calling, data and text for only the $5 add on. I had my doubts due to the lack of details on the plan literature, but I chatted with an international Sprint customer care agent and she confirmed that it's an unlimited plan while in Japan on Softbank.

What data speeds are people getting with the Sprint $5 add on Japan plan? One poster on Howardforums says they did not get above 500kb in Tokyo. That part would suck, but for $5 and unlimited everything else, it may the price we pay.

I still remember paying $2/minute just to check my voice mail a few years ago while on a CDMA phone!
I used it three times.

1st time: Tokyo, mid-May. Voice and text worked right off the bat, had to call Worldwide Care to reprovision for data to function. Inconvenient, but quite a minor issue compared to the prices SoftBank charges for prepaid. 200k down and 600k up for average speeds.

2nd time: Nagoya, mid-June. I have no idea what happened to my phone in the month I spent in China. The phone refused to even register on SoftBank. I spent over 3000 yen on the phone with Worldwide Care before convincing them to call me back on my SoftBank phone (free incoming). Then it took another hour to get it registered, but it refused to do anything but text until the next morning. Data speeds ended up being 30-50k even though I paid for unlimited. I e-mailed and let them have a piece of my mind on that one.

3rd time: Tokyo, end of June. Finally it worked as it should. Speeds varied between 300k and 1M down, consistently 600k-700k up.

Verdict: Be prepared for the possibility that you might have to call Worldwide Care to work out some initial kinks but otherwise it's nice to have in a country with phone service as pricey as Japan.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Anybody feel like doing a Wiki for this thread.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Prepaid SIM vending machine

In the news today. Seems it's a NTT card. 150 Mbps max speed?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
slower than IIJMIO (BIC SIM), in theory. But these top speeds mean nothing. You never get anywhere near that in real life

Used vending machine at KIX earlier this year for a SO-Net SIM. Cheaper and better SIM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:12 pm

Is the IIJMIO Japan Travel SIM still the best?

What is the difference between 1gb/30 days and 2gb/2 months other than length of service - is there a throttling difference (so much per day and then they throttle you down?)

At one point in this thread it was mentioned the life of the SIM could be 18 months if you keep refilling - is this still the case?

Any problem with ordering off amazon.co.jp and shipping to NRT Terminal 1 post office?

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Anybody feel like doing a Wiki for this thread.
Not exactly what you're asking/looking for but I use this pre-paid data wiki site for general reference.
cwerdna likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Getting Japan Travel SIM card

Hello folks,

Did anybody pick up Japan Travel SIM Card, particularly 1GB/30 days option at Narita recently and if yes, how much did you pay for it?

Looking at the store list, there are three locations selling this SIM but after checking on website, it is 14 days instead of 30 and some quite unreasonable amount - >4000Y, I remember paying 2800 something.

I really do not want to got all the way to Shinjuku just to get the card and then come back. But I really need 30 days option and do not want to overpay for it.

What are options? My plane arrives around 7:15AM at NRT and after taking NEX I should be at Tokyo-eki around 9AM.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
I used both the So-net 1GB and 2GB cards. They are 30 days.

They will cost 4000/5000 yen at the airport. However if you head into town you can find them for 3000/4000.

Or you can order them on amazon and have it shipped to your hotel or do a convenience store pick up.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00LL3QBI0/
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Daytona
Or you can order them on amazon and have it shipped to your hotel or do a convenience store pick up.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00LL3QBI0/
That's probably the best option. If now I could order it with English interface...

Can I get the SIM card with the same price at retail locations? If yes, where?

P.S. It is particularly 'fun' when you get no more than $40 per day allowance according to Travel Policy, including all food and transportation (to/from airport as well) when going to Tokyo...

Last edited by invisible; Jan 17, 2016 at 12:16 am
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
The official retail location list is here:
http://lte.so-net.ne.jp/sim/prepaid/buy/index.html

I know the LAOX in Ginza sells them, as well as Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara.
1/2/3GB for 3/4/5000 yen.

Amazon is the cheapest option by far if you can use it.

That's probably the best option. If now I could order it with English interface...
See if this works for you?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_US
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Daytona
Perfect, thank you!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:40 pm

iPad Pro data sim card

What is the latest experience of the best data SIM card for the iPad Pro.
Arriving NRT in two weeks for a two week stay. A lot of the web sites advertising SIM cards list the devices they guarantee compatabily with but the iPad Pro never seems to get mentioned on these lists. Nano cards are nevertheless available and are compatible with various iPhones.

Last edited by gbs1112; Mar 14, 2016 at 8:18 am
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I will believe those compatible with iPhone should also does for iPad pro, just to make sure you know how to change the APN settings that is.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
The websites only list phones and devices that are approved for sale inside Japan, AND it takes a few months for them to list new devices.

Newest devices or iOS versions always come with risks of incompatbility, hence the online APN changer for iPhone 5 and newer.

Compatability chart from independent sources:

http://mvno-rank.net/ipad-mvno/

Last edited by beep88; Mar 14, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.