Reload this Page >

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Please read this wiki before posting questions or comments.
Are they legit? Short answer: No

Virtually all award programs prohibit the sale, barter and purchase of awards and/or miles (except through channels specifically identified in the program T&C and/or endorsed by the program). Many airlines are known to audit their FFPs for such fraudulent transactions, and to aggressively enforce their programs' rules.

By definition, so-called "mileage" brokers are not legitimate. It is important to understand that they do not actually broker miles, but rather act as a middle-man to facilitate the purchase of award tickets. The seller redeems miles from his/her account for an award in a buyer's name. The broker pays the seller on behalf of the buyer. A clear audit trail is left in the process.

Consequences

If this activity is identified by the airline, the seller will lose any miles remaining in his/her account, the account will be terminated, and the seller will be banned from participating in that airline's program. The seller may also be subject to payment of monetary damages. Buyers, when attempting to travel on a purchased award, may be denied boarding at any point on the itinerary. At best, a special trip might not happen. At worst, the buyer might be stranded halfway around the world and forced to purchase a significantly more expensive one-way ticket in order to get home.

Moderator Note

Please be reminded that FlyerTalk Rules prohibit posts that support, encourage or promote fraudulent activities against individuals or companies.
Posts naming specific mileage brokers and/or containing links to broker websites
may be redacted or deleted.
Print Wikipost

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:23 am

That is what I would like to do
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:43 pm

If you want to sell your united miles to a mileage broker, what's the least amount you would sell them for?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: Jet Airways
Mileage brokers - Are they legit?

It's easier to use the miles for your own travel than to go through the entire hassles of buying and selling it to a stranger.. that again through a broker who is a stranger again..
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:10 am

How do the miles buyers continue with their operations since, over time, their risk of shut down on their accounts would approach infinity? I guess they are just having us transfer directly to their customer so that they are "out of the loop?"
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems to me there are hundreds of entities offering miles. i presume they are buying them from UA or AA or any airline. how can the airline possibly keep track of all those floating miles.

http://smallbusinessnetwork.unitedmi...com/EarnMiles/

from the UA web site:Earn up to 2,500 award miles when you shop online at more than 900 top retailers this holiday season. Offer ends Dec. 31, 2013.

how does one buy these miles? and for how much?

how can they sort these miles from broker miles?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by slawecki
seems to me there are hundreds of entities offering miles. i presume they are buying them from UA or AA or any airline. how can the airline possibly keep track of all those floating miles.

http://smallbusinessnetwork.unitedmi...com/EarnMiles/

from the UA web site:Earn up to 2,500 award miles when you shop online at more than 900 top retailers this holiday season. Offer ends Dec. 31, 2013.

how does one buy these miles? and for how much?

how can they sort these miles from broker miles?
You seem to misunderstand what brokers do. They don't send miles into your account (which can cost more in airline transfer fees that what the miles are worth) but rather sell you (for money) an award ticket that was obtained using the miles in someone else's FF account. The airline certainly can tell which FF account was used for the ticket. Questions might be asked if you are unlikely to know the person whose name is on the FF account. They will ask questions--and more--if that person is known to have sold miles, including through a broker, to someone else.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 18, 2013 at 2:27 am
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:41 am

any used a broker before? Im about to sell my Virgin Atlantic miles to them.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:50 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by babaganoush
any used a broker before? Im about to sell my Virgin Atlantic miles to them.
You are at risk regardless of how reputible they may be.

Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would consider the idea of a reputable mileage broker to be an oxymoron.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:24 am

Anyone use a broker ?
I am trying to figure out if they are reputable

Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Simpleton
Exactly, that's why I actually enjoy selling my miles (aside from the obvious cash incentive). They would rather (1) your miles go unused and (2) If someone's stuck with a list minute ticket now they can more easily access miles instead of paying an insanely jacked up price. They tell you you earn something, but you can't even use it! What the heck?

I will gladly go against their terms any day!
I realize the likelihood of a card issuer ever caring enough to track you down is very low. But still, I'm not sure having your referral IDs in your sig is the brightest move.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Silverthunder
Anyone use a broker?
I am trying to figure out if they are reputable
You run the same risks regardless of who you use.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:51 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Has anyone used a mileage broker? They legit? Seems like a good way to top up miles?

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:52 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT100
Heh. Just send a message to your airline letting them know how much you bought.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:52 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by BrassMonkehy
Heh. Just send a message to your airline letting them know how much you bought.
huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.