Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
First Mumbai transfer went well

Completed my first US to BOM on UA connect to Jetairways to BLR Bangalore in November. After customs, rechecked 3 heavy bags with Jet with no hassle or fees, they were tagged to BLR. With a 9 hour lay over at BOM noted a JetConnect flight 3 1/2 hours earlier and the Jet window at the international airport put me on a wait list even though the flight was only half full. Took shuttle to domestic airport which drops in secure area so you do not need to go through security again and the 3 hour arrival rule is mute here. Jet confirmed me on the earlier flight but could not confirm my bags would be retagged to the earlier flight. Just before departure they confirmed bags arrived from international and were retagged to the earlier flight. Jet did a nice job here. Great to visit India again as a fight broke out at the customs exit over people cutting in line, most interesting.
On the return my Jet flight BLR to BOM was an hour late giving me about 2 hours at BOM. Bags go through Jet to UA and just need to take bus from domestic to international terminal which is about 15 minutes each way. Here you arrive outside the terminal and must check in at the counter and go through regular security. Careful of many locals who swarm you when bus arrives offering to guide you to the terminal and save you time. You can just go inside and check in. Got to gate in plenty of time although second security at UA gate is very slow with no business class line. Takes about an hour to clear and then you can board. As a side note the IFE, reading lights and power did not work the entire 16 hour flight from BOM to EWR.
I might try UA to Jet via Del next time as BOM is not the greatest place to hand out or connect but it does work. Alsoo UA is not that on top of Jet schedules and best to research Jet and Jet connect schedules before booking with UA to get the best connections.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by Rukes
Just want to triple check on this scenario, it should work fine, maybe a little tight:

GOA to MUMBAI
Business Class
Air India arrives in International Terminal at 11:35 PM

MUMBAI to HONG KONG
Business Class
Cathay Pacific leaves International Terminal at 1:30 AM

One checked bag, both separate PNR's. Cathay's check-in cutoff is 40 minutes prior so that leaves me with over an hour and a half to go through immigration, get my bags, go to the Cathay check in at the same terminal. Reading up that seems to only take around 30 minutes total, especially since it's early AM. So even if there is a flight delay coming in, I should have enough time if I just keep it going fast, right?
If the tickets were booked separately, then it all comes down to whether AI will through check your bag or not. In my experiences they have not, giving an excuse simply that "we can't, sir." If you have to collect your bag and re-check it, you are at risk of missing your connecting flight, even if it is the same terminal. That is actually a very busy time of day at BOM because most international arrivals/departures are scheduled for night times.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:38 pm
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Just want to triple check on this scenario, it should work fine, maybe a little tight:

GOA to MUMBAI
Business Class
Air India arrives in International Terminal at 11:35 PM

MUMBAI to HONG KONG
Business Class
Cathay Pacific leaves International Terminal at 1:30 AM

One checked bag, both separate PNR's. Cathay's check-in cutoff is 40 minutes prior so that leaves me with over an hour and a half to go through immigration, get my bags, go to the Cathay check in at the same terminal. Reading up that seems to only take around 30 minutes total, especially since it's early AM. So even if there is a flight delay coming in, I should have enough time if I just keep it going fast, right?
On a good day the air India flight is before time. There is a lot of allowance built into the schedule from del-Bom-goi-Bom that is the pattern of the aircraft. However, on a bad day if fog does affect delhi slight delays can be expected. So I would keep my eyes on delhi weather. As for arriving, there is no immigration to go through but just a slight "domestic immigration" were your boarding pass will be stamped. There is a separate line for this and it moves quickly. Bags may take some time, as you will definitely reach the belt before bags arrive, however once bags collected get out of customs without standing in line take the elevator to departures and you should be at Cathay gate in 5 mins from baggage collection. It's doable.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
I just switched my flight to the earlier one that gets in at 6 PM in the Domestic terminal, so I have way more than enough time to get over there. A little bit more hassle transferring terminals is a lot better than constantly being worried/rushing. Would rather not risk it...plus I don't mind hanging out in the lounge before the flight
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:16 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
I just switched my flight to the earlier one that gets in at 6 PM in the Domestic terminal, so I have way more than enough time to get over there. A little bit more hassle transferring terminals is a lot better than constantly being worried/rushing. Would rather not risk it...plus I don't mind hanging out in the lounge before the flight

you mean ai 662. interesting things about this flight. it will be late. should get you in by 1830-1845 on an average. will park at international terminal. you will be bussed to domestic terminal. and then you can get back to the intl side on your own. you will be at intl side by 2015-2030. so yes some time to kill for you.

p.s. parking at intl for a/c does not mean you can go over directly from there.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Bit of a bump with possibly new notes. Went through Mumbai in January and it was a bit of a mess, but just went through this weekend and it was improved a bit!

1) Just to clarify, if you take the bus transfer from Domestic to International, I thought when it meant they leave when the bus is full applied to the initial stop, I forgot there is a second half of the domestic terminal they stop by if the initial bus isn't full. So it does take a bit longer than just a taxi. Even though there are signs in the terminal specifically saying not to tip the luggage people, the person taking my luggage on the bus still begged for a tip in "any currency" to which I said I only had a credit card.

2) Signs outside the international terminal now say that electronic boarding passes/itineraries on phones are acceptable for entry into the terminal. I brought paper just in case of course, but it's good there is a backup option now.

3) The immigration area before security has all the lines roped off. Back in January, it was pretty much a free for all with no barriers between lines, so it was easy for people to just jump between lines when one was going quicker. I was flying business and the business class line had only one person in front of me.

4) Security is much improved from January. Rather than one general area with a small section for business/first people, there is a whole new section in the back which is just for business/first/crew. Still moves pretty slowly obviously, but there are a lot less people in front of you.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:36 am

I am flying MAA-BOM on 9W reaching at 7:55pm. Then my international BOM-EWR leaves at 11:10pm. Will 3:20 hrs be enough for a transfer? It's all on one ticket. I will have checked bags.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by leonidas
I am flying MAA-BOM on 9W reaching at 7:55pm. Then my international BOM-EWR leaves at 11:10pm. Will 3:20 hrs be enough for a transfer? It's all on one ticket. I will have checked bags.
what day of the week????you are landing at a time when traffic will still be pretty bad around this route on weekdays....having said that, i think 3 hours will give you enough time since its all on one ticket & you will probably have your boarding pass....
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: VS Gold
I read the new terminal will open this week .. any truth to the rumour?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by maxmin
I read the new terminal will open this week .. any truth to the rumour?
nope....its been delayed....12th feb as of now....
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: VS Gold
TY.

A shame, but probably just as well as far as I'm concerned. I imagine there will be some teething problems!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'll toss in my situation and get everyone's advice.

Flying CCU-BOM-CDG. AF ticket for both flights, but CCU-BOM is on Jet. Unfortunately I cannot take an earlier flight from CCU.

Scheduled to arrive from CCU at 00:10 and flight to CDG departs 02:40.
I have SkyPriority/STE+ with AF.
No checked luggage.

Suggestions? Is exiting the domestic terminal and taking a private cab my best bet? From reading, I get the sense that the 2.5 hr D>I connection time is on the borderline of something I should be concerned about.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxmin
TY.

A shame, but probably just as well as far as I'm concerned. I imagine there will be some teething problems!
i expect there to be tons of teething problems when they do finally open....
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
I'll toss in my situation and get everyone's advice.

Flying CCU-BOM-CDG. AF ticket for both flights, but CCU-BOM is on Jet. Unfortunately I cannot take an earlier flight from CCU.

Scheduled to arrive from CCU at 00:10 and flight to CDG departs 02:40.
I have SkyPriority/STE+ with AF.
No checked luggage.

Suggestions? Is exiting the domestic terminal and taking a private cab my best bet? From reading, I get the sense that the 2.5 hr D>I connection time is on the borderline of something I should be concerned about.
personally i like to keep a 3 hour connection time in bom but at that time at night you should be ok, provided your incoming flight is on time....
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by abpat2203
Thank you for the information.

Does anyone know what is the fees to get into the Clipper Lounge? I have a 9 hr wait between my International and Domestic flights.
Am taking about few years back ( 2007-8).. that time the clipper lounge in the domestic terminal was about INR 600 IIRC..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.