Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Tata Sons & SQ to launch India based airline [Vistara][merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tata Sons & SQ to launch India based airline [Vistara][merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Outsourcing strategy: The airline has tied up with Air India, which will manage its ground-handling and engineering services.
I'm not too sure on AI's servicing... Hopefully they can do a good job.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FTcadence
This fall, Tata and Singapore Airline's JV - Vistara - is expected to launch.

The new full-service airline will be New Delhi-based and will be leasing SQ's A320 aircraft.

Vistara plans to operate 87 weekly flights. "The airline is likely to have 14 flights a week connecting Delhi to Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad and Hyderabad. Apart from covering the big cities, there are going to be seven flights a week to Srinagar, Patna and Chandigarh."

http://qz.com/247470/singapore-airli...#/h/94377,2,3/
If they're leasing A320s, I would assume that these are Silk aircraft. AFAIK SQ proper has never flown narrow bodies in recent memory.

Is this a wet lease deal or what? Will the new airline have their own pilots and cabin crew?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
No Kolkata
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by kyunbit
No Kolkata
Ratan to Mamata: TA TA BYE BYE
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Not liking the name very much, but hope they succeed.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Looking forward to this airline taking to the skies.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Not liking the name very much, but hope they succeed.
Some may start thinking that Tata seems to have a thing for names starting with V and ending with A when it comes to their portfolio aimed toward travelers.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which would have been a better hub? DEL or BOM?

Also it's kinda strange for Tata to get involved into competing JV - Air Asia and now this.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN

Also it's kinda strange for Tata to get involved into competing JV - Air Asia and now this.
Apparently BOM was the first choice but lack of parking space at airport lead them to DEL.

Its quite surprising that Tata is betting big on Indian aviation market which has seen nothing but losses from past few years. We should just wait and watch where this goes.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techblr
Its quite surprising that Tata is betting big on Indian aviation market which has seen nothing but losses from past few years. We should just wait and watch where this goes.
I agree. Hope this does not lead to another round of bankruptcies. Just wish AI would be handed back to Tata.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:14 am

Just wish AI would be handed back to Tata.
Its a sinking ship and filled with corruption and in-efficiency all the way to the top. There would be huge uproar from AI employees alone if someone private wanted to buy them as they can no more run their own show.

Its really sad to know that a national carrier which has so much potential is going worse day by day.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techblr
There would be huge uproar from AI employees alone if someone private wanted to buy them as they can no more run their own show.
Which is exactly why I want it to just disappear. It is such a tragedy that a poor country like India has to keep pouring money into this loss making venture.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some may start thinking that Tata seems to have a thing for names starting with V and ending with A when it comes to their portfolio aimed toward travelers.
Apart from Vivanta what else is there? I usually like names the Tatas gives its products, especially Tanishq.

Last edited by UA Fan; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:30 am

Which is exactly why I want it to just disappear. It is such a tragedy that a poor country like India has to keep pouring money into this loss making venture.
I personally know folks who use the so called "perks" to travel Business class on India-USA routes. Just too frustrating.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist

They are products targeted at distinctly separate market segments so the JV's aren't exactly competing with one another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.