Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet has (almost!) lost their touch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by ashishp
If driving or rail was an option for business travel, perhaps we could shut down all airlines eh?
In many instances, the train can certainly be very, very convenient, especially for business travellers.

I've known enough people (businesswallahs and the family types) who take the train between Bombay and Baroda instead of flying. Cost aside, it's much less cumbersome and definitely less time-consuming than taking the plane.

It all depends on where in the city you are / need to be. If you live in, for example, Colaba or Borivili, the train is almost always likely going to be quicker.

Of course, the reverse can also be true, where a flight is more convenient even though almost everyone else takes the train or a car. I know of someone who takes the flight to PNQ instead of driving.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jasepl
Of course, the reverse can also be true, where a flight is more convenient even though almost everyone else takes the train or a car. I know of someone who takes the flight to PNQ instead of driving.
Really? Isn't that just a 2hr drive? Every time I have gone from BOM to PNQ I have driven. Leaving BOM is a pain but once outside its a breeze.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:24 am
Suspended

Got a very bad feeling as I stepped off the plane yesterday. i dismissed it off as a one off thing on Wed. But yesterday saw it again! Very very bad feeling about this once great airline.

PS: moderators: sir how do i upload photographs? i cant see upload attachment button.
Would you like it better if Jet were tighting?
I hear loud complaints about Jet tightin (tightening) up, and criticism of English spoken by Jet's employees, as if English ability determines quality.
The touch was lost among cries of free upgrades when upgrades led not to appreciation and higher revenue, but entitlement.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:33 am
Suspended

how does a discussion on premium class travel turn into a discussion on driving?

If driving or rail was an option for business travel, perhaps we could shut down all airlines eh?
In this specific post, train was suggested as an alternative to driving.
If air travel becomes misery, driving or taking a train could be viable options.
There are premium models of premium cars too, not to speak of premium class on trains.
You ARE overwhelmed by the word "premium". Premium class, premium model, premium this or premium that. It would be nice if people who complain loudly were willing to pay premium for premium class.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
Really? Isn't that just a 2hr drive? Every time I have gone from BOM to PNQ I have driven. Leaving BOM is a pain but once outside its a breeze.
That two hours depends on a lot of factors and, like you said, doesn't account for the pain of getting from one part of Bombay to another.

If you live anywhere from, say, Andheri to Bandra, your flight will have landed at PNQ well before your car was able to make it to the outskirts of Bombay.

The number of people taking the plane is rather small now, of course. A few years ago, it was rather different. Bombay - Poona could easily take upwards of 12 hours by road !
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
That two hours depends on a lot of factors and, like you said, doesn't account for the pain of getting from one part of Bombay to another.

If you live anywhere from, say, Andheri to Bandra, your flight will have landed at PNQ well before your car was able to make it to the outskirts of Bombay.

The number of people taking the plane is rather small now, of course. A few years ago, it was rather different. Bombay - Poona could easily take upwards of 12 hours by road !
Yeah, very true. You do also have to consider the travel time to/from the airport, which is often longer than the time to/from the train station in many cities, as airports are located further from the city center.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Yeah, very true. You do also have to consider the travel time to/from the airport, which is often longer than the time to/from the train station in many cities, as airports are located further from the city center.
Yes. Unless you live right next to the airport, you will spend more time on the road getting to the airport than in air flying to Pune.
I take a train for other reasons. I love trains. I would take a train if it's not more expensive than flying when I am travelling for leisure.
There is another factor comes into play in India. Status.
When I took a train from HZM to Pune, o visit an old school friend, his son said to, "surely he can afford to fly! Why doesn't he fly?".
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
is travel by road an option for people travelling between DEL and HYD? or DEL and CJB? Lets be practical here: a 3 hour flight vs a 2/3 day trip by train or road. Road is certainly not an option for me even on shorter distances because of the safety factor.

And when travelling by air, what are the options left for the premium traveller?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Depends on the airport and where in the city, too.
Some good examples:
I live 15 minutes away from YVR in Richmond.
However, getting to MBJ (Montego Bay, Jamaica) has taken me 40+ minutes from their airport.
Also depends on when the flights are leaving.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:18 am

Absoultely.

It doesn't work for everyone, in all situations, but there are still many situations in which the train will indeed be quicker than a flight, door-to-door.

If our railway network were better, there will definitely be a lot more people using the train. Unfortunately, it's rather dirty (especially the stations) and far too slow.

Back in 1850 something the first train in India went from Boree Bunder (VT) to Thana in 50 minutes or so. Fast forward 150 years, and it still takes roughly the same time to cover the same route.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:53 pm

Absoultely.

It doesn't work for everyone, in all situations, but there are still many situations in which the train will indeed be quicker than a flight, door-to-door.

If our railway network were better, there will definitely be a lot more people using the train. Unfortunately, it's rather dirty (especially the stations) and far too slow.
Agreed - trains tend to be run down. However, the airlines are doing their best to catch up in that department.
I am not a rail expert, but I imagine upgrading the speed of train travel will take significant Rs. investment. It should be something that has popular appeal/support but little political motivation it seems.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:52 pm
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Absoultely.

Agreed - trains tend to be run down. However, the airlines are doing their best to catch up in that department.
I am not a rail expert, but I imagine upgrading the speed of train travel will take significant Rs. investment. It should be something that has popular appeal/support but little political motivation it seems.

Will involve a lot of investment, land being the primary one. Which has become a big head ache. Then the fares would have to be raised. Considering the pittance that train tickets cost today, and the difficulty in raising them, it is cheaper to subsidize airlines, and let the people who would travel by fast trains travel at decent fares on airlines and everyone remains happy.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by shahadil
Will involve a lot of investment, land being the primary one. Which has become a big head ache. Then the fares would have to be raised. Considering the pittance that train tickets cost today, and the difficulty in raising them, it is cheaper to subsidize airlines, and let the people who would travel by fast trains travel at decent fares on airlines and everyone remains happy.
Yeah... and of course, a better, faster rail system could also detract from airline loads. I would not be surprised if lobbyists had something to do with the current state of things.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:42 pm
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
The dedicated freight corridor for railway coming up entails an investment of 75k cr. high speed rail will be more than that. That's enough money to bail out air India for the next 30-40 years. Do the math.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by shahadil
The dedicated freight corridor for railway coming up entails an investment of 75k cr. high speed rail will be more than that. That's enough money to bail out air India for the next 30-40 years. Do the math.
Another benefit of bailing out AI is that the babus get free first class tickets. You can't put a price on that. Not even mastercard will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.