Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Legality of the no-show cash fee policy for award bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legality of the no-show cash fee policy for award bookings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:26 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Flyertalk needs some kind of symbol to indicate "warning: the lawyers have completely taken over this thread".
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
All of you are forgetting the most important thing.

The OP is a Diamond.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Flyertalk needs some kind of symbol to indicate "warning: the lawyers have completely taken over this thread".
I think it would be easier to mark the threads without legal discussions. Less work!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
"I am not a lawyer but I play one on FT."

Mike
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:54 am

Law

They would have to prove damages if it went to court.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:42 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by Often1
For them what worry, Hyatt posts the specific terms right on its website. Relevant section is bolded below. Put simply, each property has its own policy, you are warned that there is a policy and given 4 ways to find out the exact $ number, if any.

While this stuff can be boring, it really does pay to read it. Not only are the penalties sometimes tough, but there are also benefits out there that many people don't read about and therefore don't use.

Hyatt Gold Passport award reservations are subject to the reservation requirements of the individual hotel, such as length of stay. Hyatt Gold Passport award reservations are subject to the cancellation policy of the individual property at which member is redeeming an award. If member does not follow proper hotel cancellation policy or if member does not check into the hotel, the credit card provided with the reservation will be charged in accordance with the hotel’s cancellation or no-show policy. These policies vary by hotel and each hotel’s cancellation policy can be found on the hotel’s website on hyatt.com, by calling the hotel directly, or by contacting the local Worldwide Reservation Center.

Hello,

Often1 did a great job pointing out in the Terms & Conditions on the specific policy for cancellations/no-show charges for a booking. We are always here for you if you have any questions regarding a cancellation policy or no-show charge for your specific reservation.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Could you inform us where we would find the cancellation policy for a hotel, or do we need to call to get that? Because I for sure cannot find one on Hyatt.com as the text suggests...
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:18 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by RTW1
Could you inform us where we would find the cancellation policy for a hotel, or do we need to call to get that? Because I for sure cannot find one on Hyatt.com as the text suggests...
Hello!

When browsing rates and availability, there is a link under each price for a room "Taxes/Fees May Apply". When booking a room, it also states, at the bottom of a reservation, prior to clicking the check mark box for accepting the reservation, that states the cancellation policy for each reservation. I hope this helps!

Safe travels,

Nick B.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks... But that not really helps. Most just mention the cutoff for a cancellation but not what is charged if you miss the deadline. And that was how we have gotten here....

So I assume the full cancellation policy will also include what rate should be payed when missing the cancellation deadline and if there are additional fees to be paid.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Thanks Nick, that's what many of us thought.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello!

When browsing rates and availability, there is a link under each price for a room "Taxes/Fees May Apply". When booking a room, it also states, at the bottom of a reservation, prior to clicking the check mark box for accepting the reservation, that states the cancellation policy for each reservation. I hope this helps!

Safe travels,

Nick B.

Nick,

I have yet to find the details of what the charges would be in points or cash on Hyatt.com for multiple reservations I have made. Help us understand how can we find it? If you can show us a screenshot for any reservation with those details, it would help tremendously.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Hello,

Often1 did a great job pointing out in the Terms & Conditions on the specific policy for cancellations/no-show charges for a booking. We are always here for you if you have any questions regarding a cancellation policy or no-show charge for your specific reservation.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
I would say it is highly doubtful that this rather universal 'disclosure' would be waterproof in order to legitimize the guest being charged hard cash.

Then points being kept - understandable. But an important item like this should be individually displayed with each reservation. Depending on the State/Country in which jurisdiction this would be litigated against... It wouldn't see the light of day.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I would say it is highly doubtful that this rather universal 'disclosure' would be waterproof in order to legitimize the guest being charged hard cash.

Then points being kept - understandable. But an important item like this should be individually displayed with each reservation. Depending on the State/Country in which jurisdiction this would be litigated against... It wouldn't see the light of day.
Agreed. I would also like to have a clear amount, in local currency and if applicable the rate of exchange and other charges. This would be an excellent topic to be brought to the attention of the European Commission for enforcement in the European Union.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:44 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Hello!

Safe travels,

Nick B.
Thanks... But that not really helps. Most just mention the cutoff for a cancellation but not what is charged if you miss the deadline. And that was how we have gotten here....

So I assume the full cancellation policy will also include what rate should be payed when missing the cancellation deadline and if there are additional fees to be paid.
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Thanks Nick, that's what many of us thought.
I don't find with Hyatt what rate must be paid if cancellation deadline is missed or if no-show. Contrast this with Starwood, where the "forfeiture" amount is clearly spelled out - often quite outrageous especially for the upgraded room which I (as Plstinum) have been upgraded to (eg at Grande Bretagne in Athens was ore blocked into a suite and the "forfeiture" amount was close to 1,000 euros - note that this was an award stay). Amount appears to be rack rate but should be spelled out.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm sorry too.... seems you're short on facts but long on speculation.

I'm genuinely looking how it is that I'm not able to find the hotels cancellation policies. So facts would be helpful...... assumptions, not so much.

When you make a booking you first see the rate rules, then on the booking form the same information gets repeated again under the T&C's. Same info again in the e-mail. Nothing additional is provided, no other links like you seem to imply. But all those are (mostly a single sentence) is the basics about the cancellation policy, not the policy itself. Nothing about additional fees or what the rate will be for nights charged.

So if you get more info, please share...
I'm not sure why you're being rude.

In any event, I did a couple of dummy bookings on hyatt.com. It clearly states the hotel's cancellation deadline under "rate rules." They're going to charge for one night's room if it's not cancelled prior to that deadline. In OP's case, I would absolutely take the position that they needed to make additional disclosure if they intended to charge a "no show" fee greater than the first night's room charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.