Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Legality of the no-show cash fee policy for award bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legality of the no-show cash fee policy for award bookings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:20 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn't consider that analogous at all, as the monetary charges are explicitly numerated in the reservation for the rate booked for the kind of stay you mention above.

The Hyatt policy for no-shows on "pre-paid", non-refundable cash rates allows for the hotel to charge the monetary amount explicitly numerated in the reservation for the rate booked. The GP reward night bookings include no explicitly-numerated monetary amount in the reservation for the rate booked -- that is the difference which has led to this thread about the legality of what is occurring.
I disagree. They are analogous situations IMHO, since, in both cases, the money has been paid up front and there is no hope, under the terms of the rate, of getting a refund of the cost of the room itself. Whether Hyatt handles the situations differently is a different question -- and is what I asked in my post, and what you partially answered, perhaps without realizing it. So thanks.

Now, for more detail: what is the typical no-show fee at a Hyatt on a pre-paid, nonrefundable rate? The cost of the first night's stay -- which would effectively make the room cost double for the first night? Or some other arbitrary number?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nnn
I disagree. They are analogous situations IMHO, since, in both cases, the money has been paid up front and there is no hope, under the terms of the rate, of getting a refund of the cost of the room itself. Whether Hyatt handles the situations differently is a different question -- and is what I asked in my post, and what you partially answered, perhaps without realizing it. So thanks.
The contract in the form of the reservation is fundamentally different. Your situation has a contracted rate in monetary terms and explicitly indicates the cost in numerical terms of no timely cancellation per the contracted terms for the reservation. There is no such numerically explicit penalty in monetary terms for the Hyatt award reservations. Very different.

Originally Posted by nnn
Now, for more detail: what is the typical no-show fee at a Hyatt on a pre-paid, nonrefundable rate? The cost of the first night's stay -- which would effectively make the room cost double for the first night? Or some other arbitrary number?
The penalty in money terms is determinable in advance by me when the reservation is not for a GoldPassport award night. For a GoldPassport award night, the penalty in money terms is actually only determined on or after the booked night.

Do you have little to no knowledge about the details of how and what no-shows on Hyatt award nights are charged in money terms? In the course of a week, I have seen the no-show charge on award nights for single-night reservations range by more than even $100-$150 (US) from night to night even at just one property. At other properties, I have seen it range by over $250 from one night to another night in a given week. This is about award nights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 11, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:34 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The contract in the form of the reservation is fundamentally different. Your situation has a contracted rate in monetary terms and explicitly indicates the cost in numerical terms of no timely cancellation per the contracted terms for the reservation. There is no such numerically explicit penalty in monetary terms for the Hyatt award reservations. Very different.
Not fundamentally different in the relevant respect that I pointed out, but I guess there's not much more to say about that.

Do you have little to no knowledge about the details of how and what no-shows on Hyatt award nights are charged in money terms?
If I did, would I have asked?

The point was to compare and contrast how Hyatt handles one situation to how it handles another. Nothing more. In any event, thanks for the info.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:10 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by peteropny
Lets stop the bickering in this thread.

Clearly, at least practically, Hyatt's penalty for a no show on an award needs to be clarified - perhaps in a way similar to Starwood which clearly identifies the penalty (which is clearly outrageous - the "rack rate" the possibly the room you were upgraded to (suites possibly for Platinums at properties that pre-block them).

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
I've deleted a bunch of posts since they were bickering about law degrees which is off topic for the thread. Further posts along this line will be met with sanctions.

Peteropny - co-mid - Hyatt
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Some information: No legal advice provided

vaguely-worded contract terms must be construed in favor of the non-drafting party

Cheers
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hyatt calls award nights "free nights". Ironically, no-showing on a "free night" defaults to the "free night" booking not being "free"; the no-show on a "free night" at Hyatt hotels results in a surprise (i.e., previously-undisclosed, previously-undetermined) nightly charge to GoldPassport "award" night customers and ends up hitting customers with charges ranging from low double-digit dollar amounts to at least as high as $450 for the "free night" booking where a no-show occurs.

Welcome to the results of Hyatt's muddy approach to "free night" bookings and the matter of no-show charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.