Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VIP Notes at Check in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Unhappy VIP Notes at Check in

So-I go to check into my 3rd Hyatt for this week last night, and I see a list of "VIP Check In's" on the front desk.

I look down the VIPS, and do not see my name (Diamond). I look a little further down, and finally spot it-apparently Plats are VIP's and Diamonds are higher then that .

I look at the box UNDER my name, and it says (dont remember exactly) something like "Mr PP40 has made numerous complaints/writeups to ....(rest of that line was hidden by stack of papers) He prefers a refrigerator in his room, and for the room to have extra .....(again hidden)"

Anyway-a few comments. I have made ONE formal complaint to Hyatt Corp-about my (horrible) experience in London. I have made some comments on FT about less the stellar stays though.

So-a few questions/comments:
1-HOW do i get this off of the comments?
2-Why do i never get a refrigerator in my room?
3-WHO put the comments there?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61: Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/554; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Your best bet to figure out where those comments came from was probably right there at the check in desk. You should have politely referenced what you have read since it was in plain sight and ask for explanation. If you call the hotel or customer service now they can claim that they don't know what you are talking about or that the comments were related to another guest. Or they may just tell you what it's all about - you won't know unless you call.

In general, every travel related business keeps those kind of data on their customers. It is up to them to decide how to use it internally and you may have hard time getting access to it since they are private companies whose business is not regulated by the government.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:18 am

Was your complaint against the hotel you were checking into?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Grand Cypress used to have 7 different levels of VIP status, a Diamond member was on Level 3, Level 7 was the highest, so there are quite some people more important for properties than an average GPP Diamond member, which is reasonable.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Hyatt gets as much information as possible about the booked guest before they check in.

Nick Song, front office manager, said “We try to Google the name and get a photo, what he or she does for living, his or her hobby, likes and dislikes... and all others."

See:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...144_47839.html
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by kuponuts
Hyatt gets as much information as possible about the booked guest before they check in.
I would expect a Park Hyatt to do so (as per the article) and affirmed in a trip report that all the staff members at Park Hyatt Paris Vendome knew my name - I don't think there's an indication in the OP that this involved a PH.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
Grand Cypress used to have 7 different levels of VIP status, a Diamond member was on Level 3, Level 7 was the highest, so there are quite some people more important for properties than an average GPP Diamond member, which is reasonable.
7 levels ? Sounds like something L. Ron Hubbard could have come up with ? ("Operating tithan 7")
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:57 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by kuponuts

Nick Song, front office manager, said “We try to Google the name and get a photo, what he or she does for living, his or her hobby, likes and dislikes... and all others."

See:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...144_47839.html
Does anyone else find this mildly disturbing? I personally wouldn't be that thrilled for the hotel to do a google search on me before my stay! I mean, if I wanted something specific for the stay, I would file a request beforehand.

That said, I have stayed at the PH Seoul a few years back. IIRC, I had one paid night and one reward night (eg 2 separate reservations), and when I checked in, the hotel didn't immediately realize I was staying for 2 nights. So either this is something new, or the hotel actually doesn't research all their guests beforehand!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
There was an extensive thread about some derogatory info on a res - visible to the guest - that was talked about over on the SPG board a while back - Hmm, If only we could get CheapElite to status match!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by bbbb
Was your complaint against the hotel you were checking into?
Nope-not even in the same Country!

Originally Posted by icurhere2
I don't think there's an indication in the OP that this involved a PH.

No-this was at a US HR. I had NEVER been there previously.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:00 am
Suspended

im aware that some hyatts are extremely better quality than a lot of the other chain properties.

While its nice a property tries to know a customer preferences, a line has to be drawn between appropriate profiling and being nosy and keeping too much information on a customer.

i think its better that you know what the hotel is doing than being kept in the dark. You can still beat them at that game.

So you may wish to bear this in mind when making the complaint. The hotel could just choose to hide everything from guests and keep very detailed notes that you never know and use that against you and say we don't have to tell you. I think thats worse.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:19 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels are a BUSINESS, they don't want to use information "against" their customers. They won't make money that way. Saying that someone is a difficult-to-please guest is just a way to caution employees that they may need to work harder to get things right.

No one is out to get you here!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Hotels are a BUSINESS, they don't want to use information "against" their customers. They won't make money that way. Saying that someone is a difficult-to-please guest is just a way to caution employees that they may need to work harder to get things right.

No one is out to get you here!
I don't want to start a flame but im aware that other chains does that. Hyatt is not so and if it wasn't for the trial elite status and being able to experience some very nice hotels, i wouldn't have tried hyatt otherwise as they don't have that much hotels and im beginning to realize how to benefit from the chain.

But im curious as to your statements posted as you mention you complained about hyatt at least once? Now you got a room you didn't like and found out the property knew some undesirable details and you now post they don't use such information against customers????

I may be slow but thats kinda contradictory.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Sy7,

"Does anyone else find this mildly disturbing? I personally wouldn't be that thrilled for the hotel to do a google search on me before my stay! I mean, if I wanted something specific for the stay, I would file a request beforehand."

Even as someone who has a lot to hide, I have to say I am not concerned if the hotel googles my name.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Interesting post

This is a great post, and it brings up an interesting question: What would we like a hotel to do with the info they have on me?

I don't really care if the doorman has been prepped in advance with my picture so he can call me by name and say welcome back.

If I've asked for a refrigerator or something else special in the room several times previously, I'd like to have that again without asking.

And perhaps a bunch of other stuff.

But I suspect that most of us in this forum who are Diamonds get there because of business, not resort, travel. I arrive after work, I sleep, and I'm out and on my way early. Repeat next day.

What would make my life easier/happier with that kind of travel model?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.