Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: forumpersona999
This is a Cat 4 Hotel located in the K11 mall

Considered by many, but certainly not everyone, to be a better location Hyatt then the GH HK.

Hotel email: [email protected].

DSU will get you a Regency Suite and access to the Lounge

All Suite occupant will include the following benefits in the Regency Club Lounge on 23rd floor:

• Complimentary Continental Buffet Breakfast
• Complimentary Evening Cocktails
• All day complimentary tea, coffee and soft drink service

Picture of the Lounge:
(add here if you have it)

Picture of the Regency Suite:
(add here if you have it)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23375541-post319.html

tips:

Other Perks:

Blogger Reviews:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tsim-sha-tsui/

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle

Rooms are now available for booking from a check-in date of Nov 1, 2009 onwards.

The price is not cheap though. The most basic room will cost 1,969 HKD (254USD) per night -- comparable to GH Hong Kong.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by kuponuts
Rooms are now available for booking from a check-in date of Nov 1, 2009 onwards.

The price is not cheap though. The most basic room will cost 1,969 HKD (254USD) per night -- comparable to GH Hong Kong.
Hi welcome to FT had a quick look at this new Regency, not as flash as the GH, so now there will be another choice. Going from memory I usually pay 350-385 at the GH for a base room, so 250 with an upgrade with all the bells and whistles, looks inviting for overnighters
You don't get much in Hong Kong these days under 300, if you are looking for anything reasonable. A good pool, new club floor, what more do we need, regards bkkrop
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:18 pm

If you really get a room at the GH HK for the same amount, then I really wonder where you get that. Usually their rates start at about HK$2500 (+/-) on their website and from my own experience.

Anyway, the the Hyatt Regency TST isn't too bad. Price is a bit overcharged in my opinion though. Location is ok if you want bustle etc. Otherwise, would always prefer the GH HK over this one and all hotels on the TST/Kowloon side.

I wonder when will GH Shenzhen and Macau open because their opening dates are anticipated to be in 4th quarter 2009.
The GH Hyatt Macau opens on Nov 1 and bookings are accepted from Nov 1 onwards as well. Have booked there in mid Nov to check it out.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmhk
If you really get a room at the GH HK for the same amount, then I really wonder where you get that. Usually their rates start at about HK$2500 (+/-) on their website and from my own experience.
At the time when I posted the first message, the rate of a Harbour View room at GH HK was 828 HKD per person, which includes:

- 8am check in, 8 pm check out
- 1 free parking
- Free in-room breakfast or breakfast at the cafe
- 15% off spa package
- 15% off bar
- Afternoon tea for 2

See http://www.getjetso.com/forum/thread-320710-1-1.html (in Chinese)
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Okay, so I am here at the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui. Because it's opening day today, everyone here is really busy.

If you don't want to read my long passage below, I can summarize my thoughts on Hyatt Regency TST by comparing it to Hyatt Regency Shatin. The two hotels are very similar in design.

Pros:
HR TST has better location. The hotel is convenient and accessible to most shopping malls and tourist spots.
HR TST is a newer hotel, but not by much considering that HR Shatin opened in Feb 2009.
If you like city/Victoria Harbour view, you will enjoy the view on the Club floor of HR TST. You can see the Victoria Harbour/Laser show/Fireworks from the Club floor.

Cons:
- HR TST is more expensive
- HR TST rooms are smaller. Basic room is 31 sq m vs 40 sq m at HR Shatin
- HR Shatin has better and more experienced staff
- Almost all rooms in HR Shatin have an enjoyable view. Unless you are on the top few floors of HR TST, you will not get any good views except concrete walls
- If you like natural/quiet view, you will enjoy the view on the Club floor of HR Shatin

Here is the longer description:
I arrived at the hotel at 12pm. The official entrance is still not completed yet, so I couldn't get into the hotel the normal way. I found a side entrance by walking around the hotel block. There were many real estate agents outside blocking the entrance, trying to grab people to buy the insanely priced Masterpiece (http://www.hktdc.com/info/vp/a/ire/e...rice-In-HK.htm).

No one opened the door for me. I had to open the door myself. Two male staff on the Ground floor greeted me with a slightly surprised look on their face. They said the official check-in time is 2pm, so I arrived too early. They didn't know what to do, so they rang the people upstairs. They then got the instruction to take me to the reception on the Lobby floor.

I got out from the lift, turned right and saw there was a big party at the Cafe. It's probably a celebration party for the hotel's opening. I went to the reception. I think all staff came today, so they looked really cramped behind the reception desk. They checked me in, but told me the room is not ready until 2pm. They took my luggage and then passed me a luggage card.

I came back at 2pm. This time, there was a male staff standing behind the entrance door. He pushed out one door and I pushed in the other door, so essentially, I again opened the door myself. I passed my luggage card to male staff on the Ground floor. They looked a bit puzzled, and didn't know what to do. I then remembered that the reception is actually on the Lobby floor, so I told them that it's okay, I know what to do. They didn't offer to take me upstairs though. Fair enough~

I went upstairs. A lady manager who looked senior and professional helped me check in. It took a long time though, say around 10 minutes. They asked me to fill in this form and that form. I told them all the information is already on the Goldpassport.

The lady manager then took me to my room. I am a Diamond member, so I got upgraded to a Club room on the 22nd floor (highest floor is 24th floor). It's a brand new room, obviously. No fresh paint odour or anything, which is good! The room is a bit small, but comfortable. They utilised every inch of space.

My room can see a bit of the harbour, so I asked the lady manager if I can get a better view room. She said that this is only a Club Twin room. If I want to upgrade, I will need to pay an extra cost of 600HKD or something (even she wasn't sure). I didn't question her about Diamond's Best Available Room benefits.

There is a complimentary coffee machine and a Chinese tea set in the room. I got a fruit platter as Diamond amenity. No cookies nor dried apricots, which I did get at HR Shatin.

I am now sitting in the Regency Club Lounge, enjoying the panaromic harbour view. Food is good. There are two hot dishes - quiche and bacon & cheese schnitzel ball. Also, there are two Chinese cold dishes - jellyfish and smoked pork trotter ham.

Sparkling water is Blenheim, instead of Perrier or San Pellegrino, which is different.

I will start post photos in a while... after I finish eating.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Here are the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8582163...7622500194578/
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Okay, so here I am typing a review of Hyatt TST at 1.42 am. There is a reason though...

I mean it's expected -- the hotel still have a long list of things to polish off before it can truly call itself a 5-star hotel (e.g. unexperienced staff, lack of knowledge about Goldpassport amenities, soap instead of liquid soap in the Club Lounge bathroom, no milk and sugar in the minibar, internet, parking, etc)

However, I just want to say that the staff here at Hyatt TST really go far and beyond to try to make their guests feel happy.

For example, I went to borrow DVD at the Regency Club reception (BTW this service is also on a complimentary basis for Club guests). While I was sitting there browsing through the DVD collection, staff Vienna and Annie asked me to give them my thoughts about the hotel. They listened to everything I said, and they chase up the problems (such as parking and concierge) immediately.

Also, they brought a plate of cookies to me for eating while watching DVDs. That was really thoughtful of them.

And then at 10 pm, a very important friend of mine rang me and said she wants to chat with me at the hotel. I asked RC reception what time they close. They said they normally close at 11pm, but since it is their opening day, they will extend the closing time to 12pm. I chatted with my friend until 1am. The RC reception staff stayed until 1am, serving us drinks without any complaints. Actually, they kept on telling me to take our time. I feel really moved by their kind hospitality. Well done, HR TST! ^

I will definitely come back to stay at this hotel.

I look forward to the breakfast in the morning...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi kuponuts, thanks for the photos, the pool is it on the top floor, so it can be accessed directly from our rooms without going through a public area? View looks good, will be over this month for 3nights, maybe 2 @ GH and one here, regards bkkrop
The pool is on the 8th floor. Hotel guests need to take elevator to the sky garden on 9th floor, then walk downstairs through some fire exit doors to get to the pool. Hotel guests share the sky garden and the pool with residents of the Masterpiece (27th to 67th floor).

The fitness center is not yet open. Guests will need to use the facilities in California Fitness across the street.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:45 pm

Thanks for the pics and report!
Sharing the pool with the those private residents bother me somewhat. Do we still have pool service? The pool can become overcrowd quick!

Any chance you can take some pics of those suite?

I am looking a suite to stay in HK with my family.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by neuro0
Thanks for the pics and report!
Sharing the pool with the those private residents bother me somewhat. Do we still have pool service? The pool can become overcrowd quick!

Any chance you can take some pics of those suite?

I am looking a suite to stay in HK with my family.
Hi Neuro,

Sorry, I didn't get any photos of the suite. I did ask if I can have a look at the suite, but they said a lot of the suites are not ready yet. Those that are ready were already occupied by guests, possibly all the top management people from Hyatt Global who attended the opening day.

If you are coming to stay with family, you definitely should get a suite. It is almost impossible to fit 3 people in a basic 31 sqm room.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I have just completed my stay at HR TST. Vienna Mak, Regency Club Manager, kindly offered us a complimentary buffet lunch at the Cafe. Like I said in the previous post, HR TST staff really go far and beyond to make their Diamond guests feel happy.

The cafe used very fresh ingredients and there were lots of food choices, including Chinese, Japanese, Western and Indian. I strongly recommend their fresh sugar cane juice -- very green, refreshing and fragrant!

Chinese food was mediocre.
Indian food was good.
Dessert was really good! I don't know if everyone agrees, but I think Hyatt employs some of the best dessert chefs.

Potato salad was good -- they used gourmet potatoes.
Mini beef burger was great -- bite size and juicy beef.
Chicken kebab was very dry.

Salad green was a bit boring -- they didn't have rocket leaves, baby spinach or any gourmet greens.

I believe Cafe costs 350HKD+ per person for lunch and 450HKD+ per person for dinner. I think the price is acceptable.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at HR TST. I intend to return to this hotel some time in November.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:55 am
Original Poster

As a final note, I just want to say that the staff at HR TST have a very 'human' touch to them. They feel very proud to be working at HR TST.

In case you don't know, the old Hyatt Regency Hong Kong on Nathan Road, which opened in 1969, was the first overseas Hyatt hotel. It officially closed in 2005.

The new HR TST began recruiting their staff in June this year. They made it their first priority to re-recruit the staff from old HR HK. This, in contrast to the recent Hyatt Boston incident (see post), reflects how a good corporate culture can make the staff -- and subsequently the guests -- loyal to the company.

From what I understand, almost 1/3 of the staff at HR TST have worked at the old HR HK. Another 1/3 are supporting staff from Grand Hyatt HK or HR Shatin, which are there temporarily to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:00 am

Hi everyone,

HR TST staff really go far and beyond to make their Diamond guests feel happy.
But they didn't give you the best available room on checkin
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Thanks very much for the review and photos, Kuponuts. I check in on the 28th of this month. I am looking forward to it.

I am glad to hear that they brought back a lot of the old staff. I have been traveling to HK for more than 20 years, and I always thought the staff at the original Hyatt Regency HK were the best in the city. I wonder what happened to the GM, Mr. Juergen Wolter?

Did you get a chance to eat in the Chinese Restaurant? Is it even open yet?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MW147
Thanks very much for the review and photos, Kuponuts. I check in on the 28th of this month. I am looking forward to it.

I am glad to hear that they brought back a lot of the old staff. I have been traveling to HK for more than 20 years, and I always thought the staff at the original Hyatt Regency HK were the best in the city. I wonder what happened to the GM, Mr. Juergen Wolter?

Did you get a chance to eat in the Chinese Restaurant? Is it even open yet?
Yeah, the staff was great! Xavier Pech is the new GM at Hyatt Regency HK TST.

Chinese Restaurant was not yet open when I was there. I don't think it will be open on 28th either. Good luck though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.