Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Boston/Cambridge Hyatts replace housekeepers with cheaper, outsourced workers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:12 am
Original Poster

This is a bit Omni-ish, but it's also Hyatt-specific.

A story in today's Boston Globe told about a recent change at the 3 Boston/Cambridge Hyatts (Cambridge, Downtown Boston, Logan airport): On Aug 31, they laid off all of their housekeeping staff, and replaced them with outsourced workers.

The Globe spoke to two of the laid-off housekeepers: Lucine Williams is 41, she'd been working at the Hyatt (probably includes time when it was Swissotel) for 22 years, and she was making $15.32 an hour. Drupattie Jungra was also laid off -- she is 55, worked at the Hyatt in Cambridge for 21 years, and was making $15.69 an hour.

The new housekeepers will not be Hyatt employees. They will work for a company called Hospitality Staffing Solutions and they'll earn $8 an hour.

Now look: I'm no wild-eyed labor leader or ultra-liberal. But I know when something is just plain dead wrong, and that's what this is. Sure, hotels and the rest of the travel industry has taken its lumps in the last year, but this move is not the way to help make ends meet.

Shame on the Boston Hyatts for doing this. I don't usually stay at Hyatts more than 2 or 3 times a year, so my cutting back on that is hardly going to affect the company. But it's still wrong.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Yes, that's a really sad story. Well, I guess I won't be staying at Boston Hyatt in the future then...
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Just finished reading the article & I agree-if things went down the way the article says it did, this is beyond sleazy & there's no way TPTB can possibly justify this kind of behavior.

I also don't stay @ Hyatt's that much (though I DID love the Grand Hyatt @ DFW, note the past tense!!), but won't be staying there in the future because of this.

There's a right way & a wrong way to do stuff like this & the Hyatt went so far beyond wrong, it's simply mind boggeling.

Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Hyatt is making a huge mistake with this one. I've had many a housekeeper do something special for me. I remember one actually wiping me down when I came back covered in mud after slipping when hiking.

There was another at a chain who took such good care of us, I requested her floor when we returned.

I also had a pretty good sense of security leaving my stuff around - particularly my laptop. Will I feel as secure when I know someone is earning barely minimum wage? Probably not.

Bad bad move Hyatt.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:15 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I agree that this is a bad move.

However, before we condemn Hyatt as a total company in all locations, what we don't know is if this was driven by the ownership of the hotel properties (most likely not Hyatt corporation) and not Hyatt itself.

That said, while I haven't been to BOS in years, this will make it a lot more likely that I would stay at a property other than one of the Hyatts.

Now, we should be on the lookout to see if this same type of action happens at other Hyatts in the US.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
If you have to cut costs, you have to cut costs. Outsourcing in this manner should also allow greater scheduling flexibility.

I wouldn't be that worried about security. Housekeepers who steal will consider stealing no matter how much money they make, and most people don't want to lose their jobs. IMO security concerns should be focused more on the outsourced nature of the employees, not the wage.

Maybe I have a less spoiled view of this than others... but consider that most housekeeping managers here in Las Vegas make far less than $15.62/hr.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The cost of living is much higher in Boston versus Vegas, so $8/hr in Boston would be more like $6 in Vegas.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
I have stayed far too much at the Hyatt Cambridge. I've not been impressed, in general. I am really surprised that they relied on the current employees (who may not be "doing things right") to train the new, outsourced, employees via job-shadowing.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
This just in...

http://www.boston.com/business/ticke...for_fired.html

From The Boston Globe

"Fired Hyatt workers, supporters rally
September 17, 2009 04:27 PM E-Mail| Comments (0)| Text size – + By Katie Johnston Chase, Globe Staff

A group of about 300 fired Hyatt hotel housekeepers and their supporters rallied at the Hyatt Regency Boston this afternoon starting at 5 p.m. for about 2 hours to protest the company's outsourcing of 100 jobs to an out-of-state staffing firm. US representatives Michael Capuano and state Senator Anthony Galluccio and Boston City Councilor Maureen Feeney showed up for the rally, but Stephen Lynch, who was also expected to attend, did not come to the protest.
The Hyatt Regency Boston, Hyatt Regency Cambridge, and Hyatt Harborside Hotel fired their entire housekeeping staffs Aug. 31 replacing them with workers from Hospitality Staffing Solutions. The Hospitality Staffing Solutions workers had been trained by the Hyatt employees, who said they were told the trainees would be filling in during vacations.

Janice Loux, president of Unite Here Local 26, which organized the rally for the housekeepers -- who did not belong to the union -- said she has been overwhelmed by the response. "I feel change coming," Loux said."

Moral of the story? You play with fire...
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Very bad move indeed.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Not cool...and I am not a union guy at all...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:12 am

In general, I have no appetite for or sympathy for organized labor. However, what occurred here under the aegis of the Hyatt brand name is despicable.

While one can attribute this action to the individual owner's of hotels, the bottom line is that this occurred at buildings that say Hyatt on them.

Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul....housekeeping strikes me as one of the most guest-centric services of all.

SHAME ON HYATT.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:42 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Dear FlyerTalk Members:

Several of you have expressed concern about recent developments at Hyatt hotels in Boston. Like many other businesses all over America, the Hyatt hotels in Boston have had to make very difficult decisions to adjust their operating expenses in response an unprecedented economic environment.

Unfortunately, these decisions have affected our associates at the Boston properties. A necessary restructuring of our housekeeping services included staff reductions that we deeply regret. We are providing assistance to those employees, many of whom have provided years of quality service to our guests.

We appreciate your interest and understanding. Please be assured that these actions were not taken lightly and that we remain committed to the highest levels of hospitality and service.

Sincerely,

Karen Smith
Gold Passport Concierge
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I don't understand all the negative feedback

I'm obviously in the minority but I don't mind these kinds of cut backs as long as the service is similar. A company does what it has to do;there are layoffs everywhere, outsourcing everywhere.. it is what it is.. I feel for the laid off staff but if this kind of cut helps the properties stay in business.. so be it.. if it helps the rates stay competitive, I'm all for it..

It sure won't affect my stays at these properties...

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear FlyerTalk Members:

Several of you have expressed concern about recent developments at Hyatt hotels in Boston. Like many other businesses all over America, the Hyatt hotels in Boston have had to make very difficult decisions to adjust their operating expenses in response an unprecedented economic environment.

Unfortunately, these decisions have affected our associates at the Boston properties. A necessary restructuring of our housekeeping services included staff reductions that we deeply regret. We are providing assistance to those employees, many of whom have provided years of quality service to our guests.

We appreciate your interest and understanding. Please be assured that these actions were not taken lightly and that we remain committed to the highest levels of hospitality and service.

Sincerely,

Karen Smith
Gold Passport Concierge
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I walk past the downtown hotel every day on the way home from work and saw the protest yesterday. They had a pretty big crowd there. I feel pretty bad for the crew.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.