Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:30 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any day where it is just a bit smoggy is well above average in Shanghai (or Beijing)!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
We can not control the weather there as long as we have biz thee

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Any day where it is just a bit smoggy is well above average in Shanghai (or Beijing)!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:00 pm

There is something the hotel can not control even they said they would provide early check in for u. For instance, normally there will be 1-2 rooms available in the morning and two diamond members request that. While in the morning you arrived, there is only 1 available and the other diamond member arrive earlier than u so he gets the room....

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is a bit confusing to me. Did you just mention this to the hotel or did they actually confirm that they knew you were arriving early and would have a room available early? It is not a guaranteed diamond benefit AFAIK. Most hotels would assume that the standard offer to keep your bags until the room became available met the requirements, absent specific other arrangements.

Incidentally, the monopoly maglev station taxi operator is well known for scamming customers (see the China forum). Would have been better to go out to the street and get a regular cab.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:17 pm

It seems like this hotel has several types of upgraded room/suite and every time I met is different. I like to try the new room style.

Originally Posted by thesilb
I always do the 6,000 here. Every time. Its one of the best entry level suites system wide. Totally worth it IMO.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:22 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
diplomatic suite photos

Hi, just uploaded and you can see a lot of pictures of the diplomatic suite here
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Stayed at the Park Hyatt on points in April and was able to score one of the standard King rooms facing the Bund and Jin Mao Tower:

The design of the rooms are one of the best in the world for its sheer simplicity. Also appreciated the Nespresso capsules even in the standard rooms. The one thing I didn't get was how the bathroom seems to occupy a larger space than the bedroom. And I found the bathroom a bit dark. So the room's theme reminds me a bit of the room in the Andaz Wall Street.

Breakfast 100 Century was also amazing, especially when coupled with the view! Spa and the Pool are definitely a highlight of the stay as well.

The only thing if I must comment is how the service at the Park Hyatt is not up to par with other Asian luxury properties. The staff here seems to be less friendly or willing to help, though there was some improvement compared to when I visited the hotel just for a visit at the Lobby Lounge a year back.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I am having an interesting problem with this hotel as it relates to the Hyatt credit card. The charges used to show up on my Hyatt credit card as "Park Hyatt Shanghai", and of course, properly trigger the 3x-points-per-Hyatt-dollar bonus.

My most recent stay, the charges posted as "Shanghai Hills Hotel", and did not trigger the bonus points. I have called Chase, to no avail. Ugh! This is a Park Hyatt for goodness sake! My most recent spend was significant - I'm out about 30,000 Hyatt points. If anyone has successfully navigated this to a proper work-around, will you advise here? Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ainternational
Nice shots. I'm staying here in a few weeks. They want what amounts to about $130 extra per night (on top of about $400) to bump me up to "rack rate" so I can use 6K points for the suite upgrade. So that's about $300 bucks plus 6K points for my 2 nights.

Do you think it's worth it? Interested in comments from all...
So the $400 is room rate/nt? Why do they want another $130?
Was that not eligible rate?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by tomy77
So the $400 is room rate/nt? Why do they want another $130?
Was that not eligible rate?
Correct. The "discount" rate wasn't eligible for a GP point suite upgrade but the full rack rate was. BTW, this was months ago now, and I ended up booking the suite. It was utterly amazing and TOTALLY worth it IMHO.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Any thoughts about location of the PH for a tourist?
We'll be there for 3 nights in May; confirmed in a Park King Suite... I'm debating about whether to change to a hotel closer to the Bund which might be more convenient for tourism... but the pool and spa and the Suite are a big draw for the PH...

FDW
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any thoughts about location of the PH for a tourist?
We'll be there for 3 nights in May; confirmed in a Park King Suite... I'm debating about whether to change to a hotel closer to the Bund which might be more convenient for tourism... but the pool and spa and the Suite are a big draw for the PH...

FDW
You are a short walk from the subway, which takes you to The Bund area and the other major tourist areas in Shanghai. Certain times of the day a taxi to/from is also a good option -- and very cheap.

So it's a little bit of work getting to and from some of the major places you'll likely want to see, but in my opinion a suite at the PH makes up for all of that and more. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by thesilb
I am having an interesting problem with this hotel as it relates to the Hyatt credit card. The charges used to show up on my Hyatt credit card as "Park Hyatt Shanghai", and of course, properly trigger the 3x-points-per-Hyatt-dollar bonus.

My most recent stay, the charges posted as "Shanghai Hills Hotel", and did not trigger the bonus points. I have called Chase, to no avail. Ugh! This is a Park Hyatt for goodness sake! My most recent spend was significant - I'm out about 30,000 Hyatt points. If anyone has successfully navigated this to a proper work-around, will you advise here? Thanks.
Thanks to this post, I recently confirmed that I have the same issue on my Chase statement. Has anyone (poster included) figured out who can resolve / correct this issue for us with the bonus points not posting properly?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:05 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You are a short walk from the subway, which takes you to The Bund area and the other major tourist areas in Shanghai. Certain times of the day a taxi to/from is also a good option -- and very cheap.

So it's a little bit of work getting to and from some of the major places you'll likely want to see, but in my opinion a suite at the PH makes up for all of that and more. I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks.. we only have three days in Shanghai so I don't want to tie it up with transportation.. We stayed at the PH Istanbul which is a nice hotel, but in my mind too far away from the tourists sites. I don't want a repeat of that!

FDW
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:27 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ainternational
Thanks to this post, I recently confirmed that I have the same issue on my Chase statement. Has anyone (poster included) figured out who can resolve / correct this issue for us with the bonus points not posting properly?
Any updates on this issue?

thanks
FDW
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any updates on this issue?

thanks
FDW
Yes. I called Hyatt GP Customer Service and a supervisor opened a case. About 2 weeks later I received a call and letter in the mail crediting me for two stays in 2012. Chase was useless by the way. Call Hyatt.

They tell me this will be rectified soon or has been by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.