Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:08 am

I commend FTalkers and other Hyatt loyalists who made their disappointment and displeasure with the hotel's HGP-unfriendly policies widely known. Maybe they had some significant impact on the hotel's newly-found friendliness.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: United club, Hyatt Plat...
I'm going to be staying here in a couple weeks. I found the GM on FB but I think it would be in poor taste to send him a message there. Anyone have his email?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by JetAway
I commend FTalkers and other Hyatt loyalists who made their disappointment and displeasure with the hotel's HGP-unfriendly policies widely known. Maybe they had some significant impact on the hotel's newly-found friendliness.
We'll know if the "voice of Diamond-level FTalkers" was really heard if they do something about "Garden View" category with respect to award availability.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Goonie
I'm going to be staying here in a couple weeks. I found the GM on FB but I think it would be in poor taste to send him a message there. Anyone have his email?
Hyatt uses a [email protected] algorithm for email I believe... but one can probably search "@hyatt.com" (on FT or google) and confirm it... or call the front desk.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm on property and can confirm that the Diamond breakfast is now the whole buffet, just came back from breakfast.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm on property and can confirm that the Diamond breakfast is now the whole buffet, just came back from breakfast.
Yea!!

Does it (the buffet in general I suppose, as it's now equal to the Diamond version) still have the pour-over coffee, and the custom-made smoothies (as opposed to only and in addition to a big pitcher of batch made smoothies)? I group these two as they are both on the same table or area.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Yea!!

Does it (the buffet in general I suppose, as it's now equal to the Diamond version) still have the pour-over coffee, and the custom-made smoothies (as opposed to only and in addition to a big pitcher of batch made smoothies)? I group these two as they are both on the same table or area.
Don't know for sure about the coffee but the juice bar is included.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So how much is the buffet for us w/o Diamond status?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
So how much is the buffet for us w/o Diamond status?
I'm pretty sure it's $45 for the full buffet and $28 for the limited pantry buffet (think continental plus scrambled eggs plus one ordered side). I might be off by $1-2 though.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:20 pm

I can confirm the Diamond breakfast is back to the full buffet as of today, September 1st, 2015. Our server told us immediately after she came to the table to greet us.

We didn't know about the limitations to the Diamond breakfast and I had a bit of an issue yesterday when they told me it was only for the pantry side of the kitchen. I spoke to the front desk in the middle of breakfast to find out why most other properties offer a full breakfast and the Andaz Maui at Wailea chose not to offer this as well. The front desk understood my frustration and said they would take care of the full breakfast. It makes it so much easier to just offer the full range of options and not charge the $17 up charge. The restaurant will not allow you to use the full buffet breakfast towards a la cart options however. The wait staff told me they are relieved the full breakfast is back on because they had a lot of very unhappy Diamond members and were taking the brunt of their frustrations. The restaurant manager actually came over and told me they got rid of the full breakfast here because after the first year of being open, they were losing money with SO MANY Diamonds staying at the property. He said the number of Diamonds relative to non Diamond guests is much more balanced now and the property had received a lot of complaints about devaluing the benefits at breakfast.

The point I made to him was it's such a small thing to offer with limited cost and it sets the tone for a guests day. It's one of those things you just need to get right. Diamonds guests will spend plenty of money at the onsite restaurants and pool as well as the spa. Nickel-and-diming them for an upcharge of $17 is just leaves a bad taste. It would have been better if they set a dollar amount vs saying you can have this side of the restaurant (the pantry), but not that side with the full buffet. Regardless, I'm glad they made it right and the staff was very gracious about the whole thing. Hats off the wait staff who were very happy the full benefit is back on. The staff at this hotel is outstanding in every way.

On the room front, we did receive an upgrade to a full ocean view standard room. We're staying on points and the suites were all booked when we checked in on Sunday. The room is very nice, but the cell service (AT&T) in the Akau tower is very poor in the room. You have to go out to the hall or on your balcony. Otherwise it comes up "No Service" on our iPhone 6 phones. The WiFi is excellent all throughout the property including all the way to the beach.

Housekeeping is outstanding as well. Morning service and evening turn down service is perfect and they clean the rooms thoroughly including the balconies. The entire property is spotless.

Any questions, let me know!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlakeTraveler
The restaurant will not allow you to use the full buffet breakfast towards a la cart options however.
So, in this respect it's not back to the way it used to be, but certainly a far more reasonable compromise. Does a lot to improve the chances of us going back someday.

How about the morning mimosas?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
lol .. you were on site for both the change away from full breakfast benefit and the change back to full breakfast benefit!

Does that mean it's all Peter's fault? Or Peter's credit for bringing it back?

-David
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by BlakeTraveler
The restaurant manager actually came over and told me they got rid of the full breakfast here because after the first year of being open, they were losing money with SO MANY Diamonds staying at the property.
Now it's just made up for by the Resort Fee.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Now it's just made up for by the Resort Fee.
+ parking
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
+ parking
Unlike the resort fee, that's been the same since day one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.