Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:05 am

Stayed one night on BWB award, and were accommodated on the first level room with nice terrace and good access to the pools. At the check-in, an agent asked about newspaper choice, just to tell us that we had no choice basically, because USA Today and WSJ do not come out on Sunday, and the only other newspaper they provided was San Diego local. We asked for NYT, but the agent was not sure "if they had it". In the morning we received the local paper on the door, and when I called the front desk to point out to them that at PH hotels we have usually always get a newspaper of choice, he said that they can bring the NYT for us for additional charge. I thanked him, and advised not to. At the checkout, around 6.7$ charge from the gift shop was on the bill still, but they promptly removed it when contested. Also, the non-access 1-800 numbers supposedly free, generated a 1.5$ charge each.

The decor is "louis quatorze" style - heavy furnishings, symmetrical flowers, elaborate mirror frames. Not a very Hyatt aesthetic at all. As noted before, the bed is super soft. But the quality of materials is good.

California Bistro buffet breakfast was fine, although the check-in agent provided misleading hours, and only after noticing the room directory mentioning Sunday brunch from 11am, did another agent confirm that Sunday hours were 7.30-10.30.

The room had coffee maker with some European style organic coffee pouches. This was the best coffee in-room we have ever had. It tasted great, so thanks to Hyatt for digging it out.

Valet parking at this property is 30$. There's a nice trail along the lagoon across the street from the tennis courts.

This property would be a nice fit for the Regency portfolio. Murdoch's WSJ on the door would be just fine, and the lack of Park Hyatt elegance and clean lines would not be as noticeable. The people were mostly polite and friendly, and the pools were pretty nice. We enjoyed the adult pool because it was much quieter.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:37 pm

How far in distance and travel time from the Carlsbad -Palomar Airport?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by best
How far in distance and travel time from the Carlsbad -Palomar Airport?
5 minutes.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: SWA CP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Amb.
I would likely be staying at this, and numerous more Hyatts if discounted green fee rates were given to hotel residents. Heck, let me use my points to pay for green fees and I'll be there in an instant!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I just read this whole thread as I will be staying here next month for the first time. Since most posts were from July-Aug time frame, I am hoping things have improved over the months. Are there any recent reports?

And a few specific questions:

-Is the free parking option still available?

-Is there still an $85 lunch credit for diamonds? (it will be a paid stay)

-I will be using a suite upgrade: is there anything specific I should ask for?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srodr
....-Is there still an $85 lunch credit for diamonds? (it will be a paid stay)...
There was no such benefit.

You can only get $85 lunch credit if you book through Amex FHR program and pay FHR rate. You don't need to be a GP member to receive this benefit.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...-I will be using a suite upgrade: is there anything specific I should ask for?
There is only one category for suite upgrade which name escaped me. You don't have a choice unless you can negotiate a better upgrade at check in.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
There was no such benefit.

You can only get $85 lunch credit if you book through Amex FHR program and pay FHR rate. You don't need to be a GP member to receive this benefit.
This confuses me. I read a bunch of posts from back in July saying that the diamonds were getting the lunch credit. Are you saying they all were actually part of this FHR program/

By the way, what in the world is the Amex FHR program?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This confuses me. I read a bunch of posts from back in July saying that the diamonds were getting the lunch credit. Are you saying they all were actually part of this FHR program/

By the way, what in the world is the Amex FHR program?
Yes, only for stays booked at FHR rates. It has nothing to do with being Diamond, you don't even need to be a GP member to receive lunch credit.

https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/s...on=null#main=1
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:02 pm
Suspended

If you have the Hyatt Visa credit card, Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection has a similar deal at the Park Hyatt Aviara:

http://www.visasignaturehotels.com/h...-aviara-resort

You get:

-Room upgrade
-Daily breakfast
-3PM check-out
-VIP status
-$25 voucher
-Free Internet or valet parking

I'm not sure if you get stay/point credit for this though.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:33 pm

Yes, only for stays booked at FHR rates. It has nothing to do with being Diamond, you don't even need to be a GP member to receive lunch credit.

https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/s...on=null#main=1
I'm thinking of getting the platinum amex card, but still trying to decide if it is worth the $450/yr. Can you give me an idea of how good the FHR rates are at a property like this one? (are they usually better than standard or AAA rates?)
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
If you sign up for vacationist...they have a deal for $277/night at the PH Aviara...about $50 more a night than you can find on Hyatt.com

www.vacationist.com
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking of getting the platinum amex card, but still trying to decide if it is worth the $450/yr. Can you give me an idea of how good the FHR rates are at a property like this one? (are they usually better than standard or AAA rates?)
The FHR rates are negotiated contract rates for Amex customers. They are fixed rates with seasonal variations. Usually, they are higher than AAA or BAR. But since AAA and BAR are floating rates, FHR rates can be lower in certain high demand periods. FHR rates are not for you if you are looking for lowest available rate; it is more for people who needs extras with upgrade possibility. Customers on FHR rates are eligible for upgrades without being a GP member.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:37 pm

The FHR rates are negotiated contract rates for Amex customers. They are fixed rates with seasonal variations. Usually, they are higher than AAA or BAR. But since AAA and BAR are floating rates, FHR rates can be lower in certain high demand periods. FHR rates are not for you if you are looking for lowest available rate; it is more for people who needs extras with upgrade possibility. Customers on FHR rates are eligible for upgrades without being a GP member.
Doesn't sound that useful to a diamond member since we get upgrades anyway. And since I can use Gov rates which are often much lower than even the AAA, this program sounds useless.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:59 pm

Any recent reviews since it seems this property continues to evolve? Trying to decide if I want to spent a few days here or at the Andaz WH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.