Prepaid data options for travellers to HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid data options for travellers to HK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
It's not practical for 99.9% of the tourists to go to Apliu St for those discounted SIM cards. I certainly never bothered - because it's never the 1st thing I want to do after arriving at the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by beep88
It's not practical for 99.9% of the tourists to go to Apliu St for those discounted SIM cards. I certainly never bothered - because it's never the 1st thing I want to do after arriving at the airport.
100% agree with you, if I'm a tourist with limited time in HK, I'd buy one at HKIA before heading out into the city.

But for me who is going to HK regularly and probably need a couple of sim cards, then I can definitely make some savings.

It was interesting to read that a lot of locals also buy the data sims there - especially when they use a lot - 20GB data for $200 per month.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:17 am

I have a Samsung S2. what type of simcard should I get and what is the best place to get one near Admiralty?

My requirements are:
*data, so I can use google maps heavily for approximately 2 weeks.
*make a few local calls to HK mobiles (not many)

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyberon
I have a Samsung S2. what type of simcard should I get and what is the best place to get one near Admiralty?

My requirements are:

Thanks in advance.
Mini sim.

Any 7/11 or circle k.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:35 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do these cards also work as local in Macau, or is it a separate card/area?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Do these cards also work as local in Macau, or is it a separate card/area?
Look at Macau as a different country. You will be in roaming with all consequences.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyberon

My requirements are:

Thanks in advance.
You need the One2Free Data sim that will cost you HKD 78 per 168 hours.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:22 am

Does CSL One2Free offer a Nano SIM card?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattPol
Does CSL One2Free offer a Nano SIM card?
Earlier poster said if you go to a CSL shop (there is one at the departure hall at HKIA) they will cut it for you.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Earlier poster said if you go to a CSL shop (there is one at the departure hall at HKIA) they will cut it for you.
Thanks. Do any vendors sell a native prepaid data Nano SIM? I've had some bad experience with SIM card cutting (SIM can get stuck inside device).
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Thanks. Do any vendors sell a native prepaid data Nano SIM? I've had some bad experience with SIM card cutting (SIM can get stuck inside device).
one2free and Smartone definitely sell prepaid nano SIMs. I suspect all the networks do (HK is usually ahead of the game with mobile technology) but I can definitely confirm those two. Try to avoid 3 as their coverage in HK isn't as good as the other networks.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bibbju
one2free and Smartone definitely sell prepaid nano SIMs. I suspect all the networks do (HK is usually ahead of the game with mobile technology) but I can definitely confirm those two. Try to avoid 3 as their coverage in HK isn't as good as the other networks.
Re network coverage, I would say all networks have roughly the same coverage. They all have their good spots and they all have their bad spots. I have been with every network in HK and have found that in some areas one network was much better than others, but in other areas it was worse off.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had trouble with my data connection with one2free when I was at a beach on Lantau Island. I was with my sis and she had connection at the very same place and she is using Smartone.

If you ever buy a sim card in a local vendor, ask them if it's nano card, if they said yes then you should open it after you have paid and if it's the right thing. If not, you should be able to get your money back.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I had a lot of coverage problems with 3 on HK Island (especially in Taikoo where it was terrible) but never had an issue at all with 1010. I get 4G at my friend's house in Lantau whereas he's on Smartone and only manages 3G.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
one2free does native nano-SIM, it costs HKD100 whereas the micro-SIM is HKD78 (this was the case late Nov)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.