Prepaid data options for travellers to HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid data options for travellers to HK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by quick_dry
one2free does native nano-SIM, it costs HKD100 whereas the micro-SIM is HKD78 (this was the case late Nov)
Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by quick_dry
one2free does native nano-SIM, it costs HKD100 whereas the micro-SIM is HKD78 (this was the case late Nov)
It is still the case as I just bought One2Free prepaid SIM in the official shop at the airport. "Unlimited" 7day data cost HK$78, so in case of Nano-SIM you get 22 left for calls/text. Anyway, One2free speeds are not so great (3Mbps down/2mbps up) and it doesn't work well in slightly more congested areas. It also seems that everyone (tourists) go for them due to convenience of buying at the airport (convenience stores do not sell nano-SIMs).

I have heard PCCW Discover HK Tourist SIM card at HK$69 (5 days) 1.5GB limit works much better, this however can be bought at official PCCW shops or Kowloon Visitor Centre. If you don't need nano-SIM you can get this card at convenience stores (such as 7-11).
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Can the PCCW card be purchased at the airport upon arrival? I only need a mini-sim
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by eng3
Can the PCCW card be purchased at the airport upon arrival? I only need a mini-sim
You can always try your luck at the 7-11 on the arrival level. All prepaid SIM is readily available at convenient store all over the town.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
You can always try your luck at the 7-11 on the arrival level. All prepaid SIM is readily available at convenient store all over the town.
Thanks. When you say "try your luck at the 7-11" do you mean that they are often out of stock?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by eng3
Thanks. When you say "try your luck at the 7-11" do you mean that they are often out of stock?
The 7-11 at arrival level has huge traffic and they frequently ran out of Cards, good though you can try the 7-11 at Terminal 2 departure level / OK convenient store at coach bus departure area.

SIM card at popular location get run of stock pretty quick, and sometimes there's only a few of the "Less-favourable" type (Read: 2G only / low value call oriented card) card available.

However, lots of 7-11 and OK convenient store around the town that if you fail at one store, try another, or try those small mobile phone shop, they may stock the one you want.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
If you're flying in on CX I think they offer it as part of the duty-free on board shopping, and you get a discount if you're pre-ordering before you fly!

Nano SIM card
Regular/Micro SIM card
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:39 am

The 7-11 at arrival level has huge traffic and they frequently ran out of Cards, good though you can try the 7-11 at Terminal 2 departure level / OK convenient store at coach bus departure area.

SIM card at popular location get run of stock pretty quick, and sometimes there's only a few of the "Less-favourable" type (Read: 2G only / low value call oriented card) card available.

However, lots of 7-11 and OK convenient store around the town that if you fail at one store, try another, or try those small mobile phone shop, they may stock the one you want.
As you mentioned, the 711 was out. After I got my AE tourist card, I noticed a $30 off coupon for the 8day card but it could only be used at a 711, CK inside an MTR. All the ones that were immediately accessible to me didn't have it. I tried the 7-11 next to my hotel and they did have the card.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by roastpuff
If you're flying in on CX I think they offer it as part of the duty-free on board shopping, and you get a discount if you're pre-ordering before you fly!

Nano SIM card
Regular/Micro SIM card
has anyone tried this?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
has anyone tried this?
I have used other PCCW Prepaid SIM (and myself on PCCW monthly plan), they are good on 3G and when you get LTE reception they are fast enough for anything.

Just some blind spot in some non-tourist place (like near my office that I get patchy LTE, and sometimes I get full bar but cannot connect to data network)

At least I get connection when doing Admiralty --> TST
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:59 am

I have used other PCCW Prepaid SIM (and myself on PCCW monthly plan), they are good on 3G and when you get LTE reception they are fast enough for anything.

Just some blind spot in some non-tourist place (like near my office that I get patchy LTE, and sometimes I get full bar but cannot connect to data network)

At least I get connection when doing Admiralty --> TST
Sorry meant has anyone tried the duty-free purchase of the SIM thru CX?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
But what is your concern? It's not like they will sell you a fake card or otherwise steal your money. It will be as described, delivered to your seat onboard.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If it doesn't work, return it for a refund. In the worst case you can file a charge back.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by roastpuff

Nano SIM card
Regular/Micro SIM card
I'd like to hear people's experience on this as well. Why do this versus buying a prepaid SIM from US, or after you get to HK?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by agp423
I'd like to hear people's experience on this as well. Why do this versus buying a prepaid SIM from US, or after you get to HK?
It is the easiest way to make sure you have a working SIM at touchdown.

How available is a HK SIM in the US even in Chinese areas?
Would one want to spend half of day 1 looking for a SIM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.