Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Anyone have any experiences on when the competing site offers a better deal?

I've spotted one case where Hilton want €139 for a standard room for one night, flexible, room only. Another site only wants €97 for a standard room for one night, flexible, including breakfast.

In this case, the other site is both cheaper and better, since their lower rate has a free breakfast and Hilton is room only, but I'm worried that Hilton might deny as the BRG due to the food component in the other rate. Anyone tried a BRG in a similar situation before?
Book both, do the BRG on Hilton, if its approved then cancel on other site. If not approved then resubmit it, as for a mgmt review on it and also PM:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...sentative.html

Originally Posted by cwang238
I've been reading this thread. Is there a Hilton # we can call to inquire about our BRG claim? It's been 24 hours and the only number they provide you is the reservations #, which have no idea what to do.

www.hotels.com I believe is a valid source for hotel rates. Thanks!

So I just got a response from the BRG team that said my initial claim was denied. The team has countered me with this:

"You must find a lower publicly available rate (“Lower Rate”) on a non-Hilton Worldwide booking channel (except for "opaque" websites) for the Same Accommodations. "Same Accommodations" means the same room type, at the same hotel, with the same dates and length of stay, same number of guests, same designation as either cancellable or non-cancellable, same advance purchase policies, and the same terms and conditions governing the room rate."

I found a rate on www.hotels.com for this Friday night that I booked on Wednesday. It's the same hotel, same type of room, etc. I ensured everything was the same. The rate I found was $10 cheaper at the time. I am waiting response from the team. I made 2 reservations so I have proof and have forwarded my confirmation to the BRG team. Currently I have a hilton reservation booked at $10 more than the other rate. I am going to go on a limb and try to have faith in the system and see how it pans out. Let's see how this rodeo goes...
Post the whole email from them please

Did you accidentally show them a rate on hotels.com for 2 people and only book your own one for 1 person? Its an easy mistake to make and in majority of cases wont have a difference in price, but the BRG teams will just go str8 to that and deny it

Also email them back, ask for a mgmt review and PM http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...sentative.html
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Anyone have any experiences on when the competing site offers a better deal?

I've spotted one case where Hilton want €139 for a standard room for one night, flexible, room only. Another site only wants €97 for a standard room for one night, flexible, including breakfast.

In this case, the other site is both cheaper and better, since their lower rate has a free breakfast and Hilton is room only, but I'm worried that Hilton might deny as the BRG due to the food component in the other rate. Anyone tried a BRG in a similar situation before?
I had the similar situation, the difference in rates was not so big.
I booked the room with breakfast and received the reducing to this rate plus 50 USD.
You can make a new reservation, with breakfast and after confirmation cancel your old one.
You will have a reservation for €97 - 50 USD and 1000 points (if you Gold).
But you need to chek cancelation rules, often they are on another sites not so gud as on hilton.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Book both, do the BRG on Hilton, if its approved then cancel on other site. If not approved then resubmit it, as for a mgmt review on it and also PM:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...sentative.html

Post the whole email from them please

Did you accidentally show them a rate on hotels.com for 2 people and only book your own one for 1 person? Its an easy mistake to make and in majority of cases wont have a difference in price, but the BRG teams will just go str8 to that and deny it

Also email them back, ask for a mgmt review and PM http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...sentative.html
This is the whole email:
Thank you for taking the time to submit Our Best Rates Guarantee claim for your stay at our XXX HOTEL. I have reviewed the rate published on hotels.com and the rate is not available for booking. Please see screenshot below.
The Terms and Conditions of Our Best Rates Guaranteed program state:
You must find a lower publicly available rate (“Lower Rate”) on a non-Hilton Worldwide booking channel (except for "opaque" websites) for the Same Accommodations. "Same Accommodations" means the same room type, at the same hotel, with the same dates and length of stay, same number of guests, same designation as either cancellable or non-cancellable, same advance purchase policies, and the same terms and conditions governing the room rate.
I regret to inform that we are unable to honor your Best Rate claim due to the lower rate not being available. Should you require further assistance please reply to this e-mail. Please note that we attempt to answer all e-mails within 72 business hours. However, due to our current volume there may be a slight delay. Thank you for your patience.
We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and we thank you for making Hilton family of hotels your choice. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your future travel needs.

1. I believe I said 2 adults for both reservations.
2. This is my first BRG email to Hilton. I find it incredibly frustrating that there is no one to call about the claim. Something that takes 3 days to turn around via email would take them 5 minutes to discuss over the phone.
3. It's irrational to have staff searching for the same rate that I found yesterday as anyone who has knowledge of the industry knows that prices shift daily.
4. I am waiting a resolution from that email now so I don't know if I should start reaching down other channels yet.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I have reviewed the rate published on hotels.com and the rate is not available for booking. Please see screenshot below.
Did you screenshot the rate to them? You should always do that for future reference.

What did they send to you in a screenshot?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Did you screenshot the rate to them? You should always do that for future reference.

What did they send to you in a screenshot?
1. There's nowhere to attach a screenshot of the rate in their text boxes unless I'm missing something. Unless you are pasting into the comment box which I just saw.... (However I did make 2 reservations at the same time.
1 through hilton and 1 through hotels.com I did pdf that hotels.com reservation and I forwarded that to hilton for reference)
In addition to the reservation I screenshoted the rate and have both of those ready though I think the confirmation should be more than adequate "proof"

2. The rep screenshoted a www.hotels.com shot of the hotel is question, but no visible rate is seen.

3. I PM'ed the HHonors Rep.

Last edited by cwang238; Jan 15, 2015 at 2:46 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:17 pm

PM the rep so

gl
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Update on my claim. Despite the hotel reservation desk confirming that they had two identical rooms reserved for me (first and third party reservations). The Hilton BRG team declined my claim.

Thus I will use a reservation that costs Hilton more money and remember why I stay loyal to SPG and Hyatt whenever possible
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by leland
Update on my claim. Despite the hotel reservation desk confirming that they had two identical rooms reserved for me (first and third party reservations). The Hilton BRG team declined my claim.

Thus I will use a reservation that costs Hilton more money and remember why I stay loyal to SPG and Hyatt whenever possible
what did they email you as their reasoning? did you PM the HHrep here?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:49 pm

ummmmmmmm..........

Had an interesting case today wonder if anyone else has ever had anything similar.

I booked an advance non refundable rate on Hilton and compared to it a rate that can be cancelled up until 3 days before arrival without penalty.

The agent denied my claim stating that my rate is a flexible rate and can't be compared. what!!!???

Are they saying that if I booked a best flexible rate on Hilton that my rate would then be approved or would they then say but Hilton allows you to cancel up until the day before arrival but this rate doesn't- which makes it an advance rate!!??
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:56 am

1. There's nowhere to attach a screenshot of the rate in their text boxes unless I'm missing something. Unless you are pasting into the comment box which I just saw.... (However I did make 2 reservations at the same time.
1 through hilton and 1 through hotels.com I did pdf that hotels.com reservation and I forwarded that to hilton for reference)
In addition to the reservation I screenshoted the rate and have both of those ready though I think the confirmation should be more than adequate "proof"

2. The rep screenshoted a www.hotels.com shot of the hotel is question, but no visible rate is seen.

3. I PM'ed the HHonors Rep.
*Update

I went forward and kept my Hilton rated and stayed at the hotel in question. I received a reply from the BRG team and my claim was honored. I don't know why they didn't just do it the first time, but it worked out.

Quote:
"Thank you for your email response. I have reviewed your 3rd party reservation and I was able to confirm that a lower rate of XXX per night (before tax) is being offered. Since the stay has been completed we will issue a refund of $10 for the difference in the rate. In addition, a $50 American Express Gift card will be mailed out 7-10 business days after you complete your stay."

Best Practices when I do BRG type stuff.

1. If possible make 2 reservations since they are usually refundable up to a window.
2. Take a screen shot of everything from the competitors site, specifically the lower rate.
3. Have 2 windows open to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
(Know they are super picky on room type, number of guests, etc.) anything that is remotely wrong in the first round is immediately rejected it seems.
4. Book it and wait for Hilton or XXX to respond. I countered and sent them my reservation from their competitor as through email you can send them pdf's, but I don't see how you can initially attach it unless its in a public dropbox or something.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
4. Book it and wait for Hilton or XXX to respond. I countered and sent them my reservation from their competitor as through email you can send them pdf's, but I don't see how you can initially attach it unless its in a public dropbox or something.
The inability to attach screenshots to the claim form is frustrating for me. I find that responding via email creates a several day lapse in response which is really frustrating, whereas the BRG form is usually responded to quite quickly. Erin / Hhonours rep, perhaps this could be an improvement to the BRG form in the future!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:47 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by banffflyr
The inability to attach screenshots to the claim form is frustrating for me. I find that responding via email creates a several day lapse in response which is really frustrating, whereas the BRG form is usually responded to quite quickly. Erin / Hhonours rep, perhaps this could be an improvement to the BRG form in the future!
Hi banffflyr,

I'll definitely mention this point during my next team call. Thanks for sharing your feedback!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by TinDrum
Erin,

Thank you for posting the above list - much appreciated.

However, my understanding of any Best Rate Guarantee program is that the hotel makes good when another site offers a lower rate for the same room, that can be booked by the general public.

How does it (or should it) matter that the competing site is "authorized" or not to offer the lower rate? So long as a lower rate can be booked elsewhere for the same room, the guarantee should be honored - don't you think so? Otherwise, this guarantee claim is a total farce.

Hilton guests have no means of knowing, in real time, which sites are authorized and which not. So in my opinion, imposing such roadblocks is just another way of evading a genuine claim.

Other comparable chains (e.g SPG, IHG etc) do not fall back on such an "authorized site" excuse to deny claims.

So why can Hilton not be more honest? Of course, there are many guests who do not care about this because someone else (e.g. their employers) are picking up the tab. But I for one, when faced with this kind of deception, have always managed to find some other hotel which does not engage in this chicanery. Ergo, entirely Hilton's loss.

TD

I don't want to waste my time to BS with those Hilton people anymore - They just insist their position and they have to insist the position under what their managers told them although they knew it doesn't make any sense. What do you mean by "unauthorized"? It's the issue between Hilton and your own distribution channel, and to consumers, those channels are just indifferent. They probably collected all data on BRG cases and did statistics on the websites where the honored cases come from, and just decided to define those OTAs as "unauthorized". Can you even justify this using any parts of your terms and conditions, except the statement that it's "unauthorized" after the consumer booked the hotel.

The BRG terms and conditions existed before their consumer book hotels, and it's those t&c induced customers to make their reservation. Hilton simply said - No, despite your claim meets every requirements in the T&Cs, we are not honoring anymore this simply beceause we said so. LAMO - Hilton guys are just making up additional terms to the contract after it is effective.

I have a suggestion for Hilton - knowing that they're already shameless in terms of BRG - why not just define all the OTAs in the world as "unauthorized"? This is way better than letting hilton's staff spending months to collect the data and decide which websites to block further and to be reflected in their "evolving policy". What hilton did is effectively modifing a contract after all terms are confirmed and the cobtract is signed, without the other party's consent.

I wonder if one day someone will ever take Hilton to competition bureau and department of justice for their misleading, false and fraudulent advertisement to the general public.

Last edited by chenris; Jan 26, 2015 at 2:09 am
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
No replies after more than 5 days?

Erin,

Does the BRG team still read emails, or they only read form submission these days?

I had a BRG submitted last week that was rejected, and I replied with a screenshot last sat. No one responded to this email, and it has been more than 5 days.

I had couple more BRGs submitted on Mon, and those I received rejections on Tues. (but yet no one replied to my email from last Sat)

I wrote in to justify my BRGs on tues (same day), and these emails are also did not receive any replies till date.

This is very strange, and of course, the BRG rejection reasons too are as well.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:24 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
Erin,

Does the BRG team still read emails, or they only read form submission these days?

I had a BRG submitted last week that was rejected, and I replied with a screenshot last sat. No one responded to this email, and it has been more than 5 days.

I had couple more BRGs submitted on Mon, and those I received rejections on Tues. (but yet no one replied to my email from last Sat)

I wrote in to justify my BRGs on tues (same day), and these emails are also did not receive any replies till date.

This is very strange, and of course, the BRG rejection reasons too are as well.
Hi ZenWorld,

I have received a bit of clarification from my team.

We generally reply to follow-up communications within 48-72 hours. However, in the last few days, there has been an unusual volume of claims which have increased that response time.

Thanks for your patience as the team continues to work through each claim!

Cheers,
Erin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.