Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Revolutionizes Hotel Experience with Digital Check-In, Room Selection & Custom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Revolutionizes Hotel Experience with Digital Check-In, Room Selection & Custom

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:18 pm

So will the desk clerk take my $20 upgrade "handshake" from my Google Wallet now?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xooz
So will the desk clerk take my $20 upgrade "handshake" from my Google Wallet now?
Only if paid in Bitcoin.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

I know many of you have been discussing for a couple days now, but to officially confirm:

--- snip ---

I see there are a lot of questions in this thread already, and I’m working to get some clarification. In the meantime, if you have any other questions for me about these new digital tools, let me know. Please note that it may take me some time to get the answers, but I’ll do my best to get you the right information as quickly as I can!

Thanks,
Anthony
This raises the issue of whether Hilton ran any focus groups related to this issue and were the people in those groups properly selected.....

If not. the info is this thread should be sent to the people who should have done that work.

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Jul 29, 2014 at 6:36 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL GE
So if Hilton decides to introduce BT locks to all their properties, do the franchises have to cough up the dough or does Hilton do it for them?

Got me thinking this sounds like the unfunded mandates that are seen in QSRs...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by hunter747
I thought of the "physical room key in the room" idea, but immediately rejected it. Why? Access to the room by housekeeping, maintenance, etc. Too many people can come and go from your room. If the room key is there waiting for you, it is there for housekeeping to snag before you ever show up.
You know that housekeeping has access to your room when you're not there, right?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BobH
This raises the issue of whether Hilton ran any focus groups related to this issue and were the people in those groups properly selected.....

If not. the info is this thread should be sent to the people who should have done that work.

Bob H

I agree, did the focus groups create the website also? I have very little confidence in Hilton IT to pull this off.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:18 pm
soy

Programs: various
I am skeptical about this. My experiences with Hilton's IT does not suggest they have any hope of making this work and that does not even begin to consider the likely resistance from franchises.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by arlflyer
You know that housekeeping has access to your room when you're not there, right?
Or anyone who happens to find a slightly thicker card with a hole punched in it in an elevator..
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I think this has promise and I view it as an enhancement to the Diamond VIP Advance Check-in function (although I very much understand the IT skepticism since that only seems to work some of the time and its not as expansive as this new system). My big question is what happens if you don't take advantage of this feature. Do you automatically get shuffled down to less and less attractive rooms (aka first floor next to the dumpster) if you just show up at the hotel and check in regular.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Miesque
My big question is what happens if you don't take advantage of this feature. Do you automatically get shuffled down to less and less attractive rooms (aka first floor next to the dumpster) if you just show up at the hotel and check in regular.
I'm wondering the same thing. At 6AM the day before have you already been assigned a default room based on your preferences/status/availability, or is it a free for all for all the decent rooms starting at that time? I'm hoping it is the former.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Interesting that by 2016, Hilton's plan allows you to never interact with a person for hotel stays.

I may be in the minority, but I will always want to have a physical key. Late at night, coming back on the road, my phone may very well be dead!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Interesting that by 2016, Hilton's plan allows you to never interact with a person for hotel stays.

I may be in the minority, but I will always want to have a physical key. Late at night, coming back on the road, my phone may very well be dead!

By the way, all the Hyatt Regencys I have been to during my recent Hyatt Diamond Challenge allowed you to do just that. You can check in at a kiosk that spits out your keys, asks if you want a welcome amenity or point and you are on your way and you can use Web check-out when you leave. It works really well, in fact those check-in kiosks and the whole Diamond Welcome Amenity are what I liked by far the best of the Hyatt program.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:38 am

Of more practical value to me would be a smoother website experience when I'm booking, and then a stronger, more reliable wifi signal once I'm on-site.

I don't consider it an inconvenience or a hassle to come to the desk for check in. I'm also fine with the hotel using my preferences to assign my room for my routine work stays. I only spend additional time on room selection if I'm traveling with my family so can't picture any real added value beyond what I already do.

n.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by soy
I am skeptical about this. My experiences with Hilton's IT does not suggest they have any hope of making this work and that does not even begin to consider the likely resistance from franchises.
Add me to the list of those who ask, "you're trusting this to Hilton IT to get right?" They still have issues with their website and phone app on a weekly basis. Maybe they should focus on getting that worked out before spreading their wings even more.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Miesque
By the way, all the Hyatt Regencys I have been to during my recent Hyatt Diamond Challenge allowed you to do just that. You can check in at a kiosk that spits out your keys, asks if you want a welcome amenity or point and you are on your way and you can use Web check-out when you leave. It works really well, in fact those check-in kiosks and the whole Diamond Welcome Amenity are what I liked by far the best of the Hyatt program.
Didn't Hilton have check-in kiosks a while back?

Turns out, they did! And it was a hit.

http://www.informationweek.com/hilto.../d-id/1025549?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.