Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX sign on Bonus 80k - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2023, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

I received in the mail for Hilton AMEX sign on Bonus 80k.
I would rather use my credit for IHG but they do not want to see me for 2yrs or so.

Is the Hilton worth it - their redemption seems to be 30-45k or more.

Is there another card better - I wanted to get into TPG - don't know much about their CC programs.

Thanks for tips.

Correction: I received in the mail for Hilton AMEX sign on Bonus 80k + 1 free night

Last edited by sciconf; Jul 7, 2023 at 2:10 pm
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sciconf
I would rather use my credit for IHG but they do not want to see me for 2yrs or so.

Is there another card better - I wanted to get into TPG - don't know much about their CC programs.

Thanks for tips.
The current public bonus for the free card is 70k + a free night reward ($1k spend), which is much better than 80k IMO. The $95 card is 130k + a free night reward ($2k spend). The $450 card is 150k ($4k spend). Personally, I would go for the $95 card if I were looking for a Hilton AmEx.
SanDiego1K, Kerrirdh and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 12:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
The current public bonus for the free card is 70k + a free night reward ($1k spend), which is much better than 80k IMO. The $95 card is 130k + a free night reward ($2k spend). The $450 card is 150k ($4k spend). Personally, I would go for the $95 card if I were looking for a Hilton AmEx.
Solid advice. My husband just picked up the biz card ($95 annual fee, free night, $4K spend). I've settled on the Waldorf Astoria in Cabo as the place to use free nights. We have always had excellent stays there. If we were to pay, it is roughly $1500/night. I'm very happy to use free certs instead.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Correction: I received in the mail for Hilton AMEX sign on Bonus 80k + 1 free night

My question was if another offer from another card (eg Hyatt) is better?
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:54 pm

I got the public offer for 70k + FNA. It’s a good starter card that you can hold forever to increase average age of accounts since there is no annual fee.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sciconf (Post # 4)
I received in the mail for Hilton AMEX sign on Bonus 80k + 1 free night

My question was if another offer from another card (eg Hyatt) is better?
Originally Posted by redhead_pt (Post # 5)
I got the public offer for 70k + FNA. It’s a good starter card that you can hold forever to increase average age of accounts since there is no annual fee.
Obviously an answer to the question in the revised original post (OP) would require an analysis of the respective underlying hotel programs.

Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt offer lifetime memberships, if you find that a feasible and worthwhile goal. IHG does not. Hyatt has perhaps the best frequent guest program currently, but the most limited property footprint, with a greater focus on the high end. Each person weighs various factors differently in selecting a preferred chain.

I am a lifetime Marriott BONV°Y™ Platinum Elite who is now focused on achieving the same status for my wife, mostly via credit cards. We tend to stay at mid-level properties, usually no more than two weeks annually. Hilton Honors is my secondary property chain.

I have had the no-annual-fee Hilton AmEx card for over two decades, and am very happy with it, using the card to buy all my gasoline, and for Hilton stays, of course.

I did have the Hilton Surpass card for one year, over a decade ago, and may get one again if a good sign-up bonus (SUB) is available. Once my beloved has her lifetime Marriott status, I may also go for a Hilton Aspire AmEx card, especially if we stay more often at the MNL Hilton reroute to the central Philippines.

But I am very happy with my no-annual-fee Hilton AmEx card, which keeps my Hilton Honors points alive, even if I don't stay there very often.
sciconf, hedoman and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 12:36 am

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by sciconf

Thanks for tips.

I got offers for X days with the business Amex and X-1 days with the personal (don't remember the details although I ordered both cards) but just booked three nights in London on the points that were dramatically better than the hundreds of pounds per night that would have been necessary if I'd had to pay for them. My point redemption was an amazing deal versus the cash cost. Even have lots of points left over. YMMV but mine was an amazing deal.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After I'd had my Amex Hilton card for many years, I noticed an offer to upgrade to the Surpass card with an upgrade bonus, and took it. And then about a year later, I noticed an offer to upgrade from the Surpass card to the Aspire card, again with an upgrade bonus, and took it. So despite the "lifetime" lockout on signup bonuses at Amex, I got three bonuses without changing card accounts. So that's one reason to start with the free card, because you might get an upgrade offer later.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
After I'd had my Amex Hilton card for many years, I noticed an offer to upgrade to the Surpass card with an upgrade bonus, and took it. And then about a year later, I noticed an offer to upgrade from the Surpass card to the Aspire card, again with an upgrade bonus, and took it. So despite the "lifetime" lockout on signup bonuses at Amex, I got three bonuses without changing card accounts. So that's one reason to start with the free card, because you might get an upgrade offer later.
The once per lifetime language is per card type though - not card family. We’re the upgrade offers better than the public offers for new card accounts?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So despite the "lifetime" lockout on signup bonuses at Amex, I got three bonuses without changing card accounts
How can I find out if my spouse received an offer previously? Will AMEX clarify me on this?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luke5111
I got offers for X days with the business Amex and X-1 days with the personal (don't remember the details although I ordered both cards) but just booked three nights in London on the points that were dramatically better than the hundreds of pounds per night that would have been necessary if I'd had to pay for them. My point redemption was an amazing deal versus the cash cost. Even have lots of points left over. YMMV but mine was an amazing deal.
Are u sure?
I have had Marriott cards, believe 75k. Just 3 nights or so in the US will wipe out my points!
Coupled with dynamic pricing, it has become a headache to manage!
Am I missing something?

Last edited by sciconf; Jul 9, 2023 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 9, 2023, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Obviously ...

I am a lifetime Marriott BONV°Y™ Platinum Elite who is now focused on achieving the same status for my wife, mostly via credit cards. We tend to stay at mid-level properties, usually no more than two weeks annually. Hilton Honors is my secondary property chain.

Could u shed some lights on the path to lifetime Platinum Elite status via credit cards?
Prior to Bonvoy, I stayed at Marriott for 4 nights a week for a year. I don't have any status anymore! Your post is awesome!

Last edited by sciconf; Jul 9, 2023 at 11:15 am
Old Jul 9, 2023, 8:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I have points in all four major chains (Hilton, Bonvoy, IHG, and Hyatt) Hilton is the worst for points redemption. 80k point can get you one night at the Hampton Inn on 35th Street in Manhattan. If you want the Hilton NY Times Square, that will be 90k points which you don't have enough.

Hyatt points are way more valuable, but it has the smallest foot print.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sciconf (Post # 12)
Could u shed some lights on the path to lifetime Platinum Elite status via credit cards?
Prior to Bonvoy, I stayed at Marriott for 4 nights a week for a year. I don't have any status anymore! Your post is awesome!
Your new thread in the Marriott forum is indeed a more appropriate place to discuss such a topic.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...te-member.html
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by EdofFX
I have points in all four major chains (Hilton, Bonvoy, IHG, and Hyatt) Hilton is the worst for points redemption. 80k point can get you one night at the Hampton Inn on 35th Street in Manhattan. If you want the Hilton NY Times Square, that will be 90k points which you don't have enough.

Hyatt points are way more valuable, but it has the smallest foot print.
Sure, it cost the most in Hilton points, but they are also easier to earn. I find Hilton to have the best earn to burn ratio generally, if you are willing use the credit cards and quarterly bonuses.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.