Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX sign on Bonus 80k - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton AMEX sign on Bonus 80k - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redhead_pt
The once per lifetime language is per card type though - not card family. We’re the upgrade offers better than the public offers for new card accounts?
I didn't compare at the time, but the upgrade offers were very good; The upgrade from the Surpass to the Aspire was 150K for $4k spend in 3 months in late 2018. The upgrade from the no-AF Hilton card to the Surpass card was 100k for $3k spend in 3 months in late 2017.

And I already had 4 or 5 Amex credit cards at the time, and I didn't want to have to cancel cards to be able to apply for new cards. Amex has a limit on how many credit cards you can have.

So for all of those reasons, the upgrades made more sense to me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I had the Aspire, downgraded to the free card. I tried applying for the $95 card a year or two ago but it denied me. (Might have been the business card, I can't really remember).

Tried again today, got the popup. I have never had the Ascend. I also have 3 amex cards.

Side question: Can you get the Surpass, get the SUB, then downgrade to the free card while keeping the bonus and getting a prorated refund? I don't really see any benefits in the Surpass.

Last edited by gudugan; Jul 16, 2023 at 3:17 pm Reason: popup
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan
I had the Aspire, downgraded to the free card. I tried applying for the $95 card a year or two ago but it denied me. (Might have been the business card, I can't really remember).

Tried again today, got the popup. I have never had the Ascend. I also have 3 amex cards.

Side question: Can you get the Surpass, get the SUB, then downgrade to the free card while keeping the bonus and getting a prorated refund? I don't really see any benefits in the Surpass.
You should wait 13 months before downgrading a card, or else you'll be denied stuff by Amex even more in the future. Amex doesn't like people applying for cards just to get the SUB and nothing else.
gudugan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.