Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Why is everyone thinking they are going to get a suite? The updated Honor's terms make it perfectly clear that the hotel is under no obligation to give a suite upgrade.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I would guess that if your requirement was that the room have two beds, and you got the best room they had with two beds, then there was no upgrade that would meet your requirements. You already had the best room available with two beds. It is a case of not being upgradable. IMO.
I agree with you. I was just wondering if anyone would see this as a "failure", given people here who seem to be thinking that they must be upgraded to a suite, regardless...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I agree with you. I was just wondering if anyone would see this as a "failure", given people here who seem to be thinking that they must be upgraded to a suite, regardless...
+1 from me too. It may lead to some hotels to being more generous and opening up suites for upgrades, but they are under no obligation to do so. Also even those properties opening up suites for upgrades may still have more Diamonds than suites available anyway, which again would not really be a failure in this case either.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:40 am

Avoid Hilton Manchester Deansgate

Originally Posted by NoY
Manchester Deansgate Hotek UK. Booked queen Hilton guest room and received same. Strange as checked my booking before leaving DXB to travel to MAN and it showed king executive. Asked at check in if new Diamond benefits rolled at here and they said yes. But no suites available and neither was a king bedded room Room was right by lifts and noisy from Chav guests got moved to super-quiet queen room after complaining. Why not allocate thisupon arrival. I am a regular after all. Executive lounge awfully chaotic and service poor. Will look for non-Hilton alternative next time. Loyalty doesn't pay sometimes
The Manchester Hilton Deansgate is great at not upgrading at all, even when exec level rooms available. Last time I stayed I got a room on Lvl 5, above an air conditioner. The next time, room on Lvl 8, similar view. So much for Diamond HHonors benefits. Checked online, plenty of exec rooms and suites, etc available. And completely agree with Chavs, the whole hotel is over-run with them.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:08 am

everyone is focused on the possibility of suites but the new rules make me think it is now even more likely that hotels will offer a one-category room upgrade than anything else
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by travisw
everyone is focused on the possibility of suites but the new rules make me think it is now even more likely that hotels will offer a one-category room upgrade than anything else
Indeed. I would much prefer the normal upgrade being King Guest Room to King Executive Room and nothing else rather than King Guest Room to King Guest Room Plus most of the time and a suite once a year.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Well I understood this thread to be about the failure of room upgrades to Diamonds when there are rooms available at that hotel for the duration of the stay. I also read the 'new' terms as a one level upgrade rather than always to a suite. If I have misunderstood the purpose of this thread then I apologise for my part...

However, I do think it very useful to list those hotels that have not given any 'upgrade' so that other members can be aware of this and make their decision on where to bring their custom appropriately if two hotels are up for consideration and otherwise are nearly the same...

In my previous post on this thread I did not receive an upgrade to anything other than what I booked...not a better floor, not a quieter location, not a better category of room and certainly not a suite...although the better category rooms were available via NOR1 for a fiver...

That type of nickel and dime behaviour should not be rewarded in my opinion...

In contrast, when I do book a suite from now on I will be 'eligible' for a one category upgrade which didn't happen in the past...again the hotel does not have to provide this but I am certain that some hotels will shine by providing upgrades (one category or more) to their guests and others will equally stand out negatively by not doing anything for diamonds...and I hope this thread highlights that negative behaviour so that I (where possible) can steer clear of them and reward those that do provide that little bit extra under the new 'rules'.

If this thread is only about suite upgrades then might I suggest we start a new thread about the success of one room upgrades and equally a failures thread excluding suites...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

hilton hawaiian village
No suite upgrade (all sorts available), diamond upgrade policy is upto oceaview corner rooms in rainbow tower.
On two prior stays there we had junior suites (fd had more flexibility with what to assign) so things are worse now and we were offered an upsell to better rooms.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Why is everyone thinking they are going to get a suite? The updated Honor's terms make it perfectly clear that the hotel is under no obligation to give a suite upgrade.
They aren't obligated to, but really... you'd think that after devoting yourself and your money to their hotels over another brand that an upgrade to a suite is the least they can do.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Embassy.
They aren't obligated to, but really... you'd think that after devoting yourself and your money to their hotels over another brand that an upgrade to a suite is the least they can do.
Most Hilton's are franchised. Unless you are staying in the same hotel on a regular basis you are not doing the hotel any great favors by thinking you are entitled to a suite. If you stay in the same hotel all the time and get a suite upgrade great. Otherwise expect what the basic program allows and be happy when you get more. Suite upgrades were never a guaranteed benefit of Honors, and the still aren't.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
LHR HL, booked normal guest room, upgraded to standard exec floor room with lounge benefits, as usual (including the always malfunctioning CBeebies channel 10). No change from past Diamond treatment (always consistent), and no mention of new benefits package. Will see if points points and report back.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
True, not a guaranteed benefit, but I can't be the only one sick and tired of the faux upgrades.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Hilton San Francisco
Suites were supposedly all booked by conferences. I had separate reservations and offer was made to move after first night to preassigned newer room. Was told that room in tower 2 was actually better because it was larger--it was larger but was also noisy (never did figure out what the thunder-sounding noise that occurred around 11 pm nightly was) and bed was not Hilton's norm.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:18 pm

Most Hilton's are franchised. Unless you are staying in the same hotel on a regular basis you are not doing the hotel any great favors by thinking you are entitled to a suite. If you stay in the same hotel all the time and get a suite upgrade great. Otherwise expect what the basic program allows and be happy when you get more. Suite upgrades were never a guaranteed benefit of Honors, and the still aren't.
So true. All the hand-wringing over suites in this thread is comical. As a Diamond for more years than I can remember, I've consistently found that suite upgrades, amenities in the room, and other perks are related directly to the number of stays at a particular property rather than Diamond status. Your value to that specific property far outweighs brand loyalty, and all the wishing and hoping among those here isn't going to change that. Want consistent goodies? Stay regularly at a property and get to know key staff. If, over a period of time, you feel that you aren't being recognized for your revenue above and beyond what is required of the HH program, then find a different property. Pretty simple.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Abidjan
LHR HL
Which one, please? There are two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.