Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by payam81

Frankly I don't think much will change at this property as they already routinely upgrade to Suites, subject to availability (and they do sometimes get sold out of them), if Diamonds book Executive.
Which is the reason why I book Executive there, as I've done very nicely for Suite upgrades.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
The London Paddington is not owned by Hilton (in case you didnt know). I used to love this hotel, great location, great lounge, nice rooms, a lot going for it.

I hope they are not getting tight with upgrades.................
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
A thought. I think it is only fair if people post in this thread if suites are available at check in. Its unfair if they have already been sold and too much to expect otherwise.
I have had a number of stays where I have been given and have been very happy with deluxe rooms, as I know the hotels only have a couple of suites and these are sold. No problem!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Originally Posted by Skimanant
A thought. I think it is only fair if people post in this thread if suites are available at check in. Its unfair if they have already been sold and too much to expect otherwise.
I have had a number of stays where I have been given and have been very happy with deluxe rooms, as I know the hotels only have a couple of suites and these are sold. No problem!
Yes, you are right, but hotels can say anything but funny if you can still book suites online. I am going to an other hotel in March and was told by the reservation manager that they give me a complimentary upgrade if they have availability but they are fully booked. Hmm... I dont think so, but just before going I will try to make some dummy bookings to test the system and will ask them on site when they try to reject me so why do you have still free suites???
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Upgraded only to a deluxe room at Hilton Northampton today.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Car EE, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platnium/Lifetime Silver
Hilton Sydney - Untill I pushed

Doing a 7 night points stay here. Got upgraded to Exeuctive Level. Asked about suites (even their welcome letter says they will upgrade you to a suite based soley on availability) and was told by FD agent they don't have any available. Using my phone, went to the hilton website and told him "I put in my check/in check/out dates and I'm able to make a booking for any room (including all suites) in this hotel. Can I please talk to the FDM. Agent calls for FDM who does some magic on the computer and I now have a Junior Suite for 7 nights.

Oh the power of knowledge
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:38 pm

I can see I will have to fight here. What does it mean that the hotel is not owned by Hilton? They dont have to be but if they use the Hilton brand they should comply with the rules. Thats why they get many guests.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Using my phone, went to the hilton website and told him "I put in my check/in check/out dates and I'm able to make a booking for any room (including all suites) in this hotel. Can I please talk to the FDM.
I'm going to start trying this trick. Didn't get so much as a corner-room upgrade at the Breckenridge (CO) DT last week... it's possible they were sold out, but I should have checked.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I checked in at the Conrad Bangkok a few nights ago. I was upgraded from a Deluxe King room to an Executive King room. I asked if they ever upgraded HH Diamonds to suites and here's what the agent said:

"If you book a standard room, you get an executive room; you book an executive room, you get an executive corner room; if you book an executive corner room, you get a suite... We also try hard to upgrade golds to executive rooms." Fair enough but certainly o change re: suite upgrades.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:07 am

But if it is in the rules to upgrade Diamonds to suites if available and they dont do it we can report them to the Diamond desk? Anyway no point of this benefit.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Wadge
But if it is in the rules to upgrade Diamonds to suites if available and they dont do it we can report them to the Diamond desk? Anyway no point of this benefit.
You need to read the rules. Suites upgrades are not a guarantee-ever. So complaining about not getting a suite, even if they are available to buy, just shows that people don't read the Honors benefits.

There is absolutely no rule saying the hotel is obligated to give you a suite.

Bolding mine.
Upgrades to Preferred Rooms.
Diamond HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors**, or suites, as identified by each property. Some exclusions based on rate and room type may apply. See Terms & Conditions for details.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
You need to read the rules. Suites upgrades are not a guarantee-ever. So complaining about not getting a suite, even if they are available to buy, just shows that people don't read the Honors benefits.

Correct and people do need to keep that in mind. What I think will be a lot more useful is focussing on which properties are making an effort to treat Diamonds well, rather than focussing on not getting a suite, which many properties aren't including in their standard upgrade room anyway.

That's not to say that a thread like this isn't valuable, but not getting a suite isn't a failure. However the lack of a meaningful upgrade quite possibly is a failure. It depends on the property and what they are making available in their upgrade pool.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:04 pm

I have never said it was guaranteed, but if it is available and you would like one why they dont give it out? It is in the rules "maybe", so go ahead.

I am mot sure about the Executive floor upgrade but I always got that if there was in the given property and I would be surprised if I dont get it next time and giving no breakfast is absolutely wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Wadge
I have never said it was guaranteed, but if it is available and you would like one why they dont give it out? It is in the rules "maybe", so go ahead.

I am mot sure about the Executive floor upgrade but I always got that if there was in the given property and I would be surprised if I dont get it next time and giving no breakfast is absolutely wrong.
A suite probably has more costs associated with it all around, more cleaning, more energy usage, more cost of replacement furniture, ect. So the upgrade does have a cost to the hotel associated with it.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease

Bolding mine.
Upgrades to Preferred Rooms.
Diamond HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors**, or suites, as identified by each property. Some exclusions based on rate and room type may apply. See Terms & Conditions for details.
True, but I think in general hotels should give suites to Diamonds rather than be empty for the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.