Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Hilton Points Purchase Promotions
FAQ

How often does Hilton offer promotions on purchased points?

What is the typical / best offer?

Hilton frequently offers a 100% bonus on points purchases. There may be a minimum purchase required to receive the bonus.

How many points can I purchase in a calendar year?
The normal restriction in Hilton T&C limits each member to purchasing 80,000 points per year. Typically the bonus points are awarded after the restriction is enforced, meaning with a 100% bonus promotion you can purchase 80,000 points and receive another 80,000 as a bonus for a total of 160,000. Sometimes for promotions later in the year, Hilton will temporarily raise the limit on purchased points to 160,000 per year. Meaning, if you had purchased 80,000 in a previous promotion you could now purchase 80,000 more. Or, if it was the first points purchase of the year on your account you could purchase 160,000 and receive a bonus of 160,000.

What are the rules on purchasing points from a new / recently created Hilton account?

Posted by jbeckett in a now-locked thread:
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plt, HH Diamond, IHG Plt
If you have AA miles, you can transfer them at 2-1 rate for a fee which is not to high.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by ernie8575
If you have AA miles, you can transfer them at 2-1 rate for a fee which is not to high.
Fee is only $25, right? Not a bad option if you have the miles.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
I can't remember off-hand how many points/$ you get for the credit card, but how about buying gift certificates at places like Home Depot and Gift Certificates.com for future use?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: WN | UA
20k AMEX MR --> 20k CONTINENTAL OP --> 20k AMTRAK --> 40k HILTON HH
Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Hawaiian Miles will also transfer (no fee) 2-1 to HH.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:40 pm

Points purchase - good deal

I'd always assumed buying points was a bad idea until last night...

Hilton Seychelles want $1000 for one night... or 40,000 points.
Price of 40,000 points = $400

That'll do nicely! ^
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by small em
I'd always assumed buying points was a bad idea until last night...

Hilton Seychelles want $1000 for one night... or 40,000 points.
Price of 40,000 points = $400

That'll do nicely! ^

where did you buy such an amount of points for that price?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Didi
where did you buy such an amount of points for that price?
That's the price directly from the Hilton website. .01/point. Not too bad a deal, in general, to do once a year if you're looking to stockpile points for a nice, pricey trip.

Last edited by Ritz; Jan 19, 2008 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
It can pay off for a few properties like the Seychelles (and sometimes even for London or Rome) and it might even be better if you can secure a GLON2 award for six nights. Easy reason: Points are traded in the weak USD and can be used in hard currency destinations like the Seychelles with room rates in Euro. It did not work as long as the Dollar was en par with the Euro.

However, what about spending 5000 Dollars on a superb four night stay in a superb suite at the Waldorf Towers and get 200.000 points for that on an availabe triple point rate and secure 7 nights in the Seychelles on a GLON2 saving you 7000 Dollars? Even better

And it can be even better: We did that twice last year when they ran the additional triple point quarterly promotions and 5000 weak Dollars spent in New York city gave us 300.000 points to be used for vacations in hard currency countries.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Jan 17, 2008 at 7:10 pm
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
Brillian Flying Lawyer. I have wondered about that scenario but I have never applied it before. I missed a triple earning opportunity for a stay at the Hilton in Whistler. I did not discover that promo until after the trip. This would have not earned enough for a specific trip but would have will worth the extra $ per night. And the points are need for my trip to Hawaii.
BTW I have to buy points to keep my account active.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA1k,AAgld,SPGgld
Base points for transfered or purchased points?

I am transferring in some 110K points from AA and buying some points for a stay at Hilton (big plus for AA and Hilton being able to do this). I mentioned this to the reservation agent at Hilton and she mentioned I'd become diamond since this would add to my base points. That didnt sound right, but I couldnt find the fine print anywhere.

Does anyone know if transferred or purchased points count towards the base point calculation?

Thanks
Old May 12, 2008, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The agent was wrong. Points earned by staying at hotels count. Points earned by transferring in points from other programs do not count.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Any deals or secrets when purchasing HHonors Points?

I searched the forum, didn't find anything relevant to buying points, thought someone here might have the scoop...

Situation: I have a long stay in DC that's upcoming, but I'm short a few HHonors points to cover the whole trip.

It looks like I can purchase HH points, $400 bucks for 40k points. I guess it makes sense to just buy the maximum all at once.

Before I plunk down the AMEX, are there any secret-squirrel deals or things to know on buying points that I might be missing?

Also, anyone know are these *BASE* points, or *BONUS* points I'd be buying? Doesn't say anywhere on the website,and I'd hate to not have them count towards Diamond...

Thanks...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I don't think there are any specials regarding purchasing points. But if you use your HHonors Amex, you will get an additional 1200 points for your purchase of 40,000 points.

Purchased points do NOT count as base points. Only points acquired thru stays are considered base points.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:15 pm

There are several "secrets" with regards to HH. The first would be if you have an Amex with MR points, you can do a transfer from your MR account to your HH account at 1000:1300, which might help you get there. Also, as stated above, I believe you'll get a bonus if you're purchase is with an Amex HH (in addition to the 5 points/dollar you'd get from the Amex HH itself).

As for the purchase counting toward your Diamond base points qualification - sorry, they do not count. If they did, every year anyone would be able to purchase almost half the amount of points to qualify for Diamond - thus further diluting the already dumbed down version of Diamond that we're living with now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.