Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Arrow Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton {MYS}

Is anyone familiar with theBORNEO Batang Ai Longhouse Resort? I ran a search and came up completely dry. Rates are very low - sometimes in the USD 20´s. Any info appreciated.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:21 pm

I don't know anything about it but. . .

Wow. This looks fun. And almost 4free.

Thanks for letting us know about it.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 1:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Could be good for a no show rate!!!

Cheers

Alan
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Surely someone has stayed here?
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Btg Ai Hilton is an interesting place to stay. Transfer there is by bus and then boat across a lake created for the hydro-power scheme. That takes 4& hours from Kuching, so do not plan on a quick overnight stay.

Make sure you go on the nature walk with Winston, who is a fount of knowledge on the flora, fauna and history. His father brought working elephants from Burma, and his mother was Iban. Ask him to tell those tales of his life.

Sarawak is a lovely place just to meet people, and be very natural. Outsiders will be most welcomed.

Koala
Old Jan 4, 2003, 3:23 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koala:
Btg Ai Hilton is an interesting place to stay. Transfer there is by bus and then boat across a lake created for the hydro-power scheme. That takes 4& hours from Kuching, so do not plan on a quick overnight stay.

</font>
Is this the hotel bus that departs from Hilton Kuching at 8 am as mentioned on the Hilton website ?

Also, is there anything else one could do at Batang Ai apart from the nature walk since this place is so remote ?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by mario33 (edited 01-04-2003).]
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Hello mario33. Welcome to FT!

We have very few FTers here from KUL - so would you send me an e mail and possibly consider posting an address for ur fellow FTers, please?

From time to time you might be able to help us out with KUL and MH related postings.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 2:03 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
Hello mario33. Welcome to FT!

We have very few FTers here from KUL - so would you send me an e mail and possibly consider posting an address for ur fellow FTers, please?

From time to time you might be able to help us out with KUL and MH related postings.
</font>
Email address as shown under my profile.

Feel free to email me on any matter concerning KUL, but I have to admit that I am not exactly a fan of MH !

[This message has been edited by mario33 (edited 01-05-2003).]
Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Batang Ai Longhouse, Malaysia - worth 4 hr drive?

Has anyone stayed at this property? I will be in Sarawak for 3 nights, and have currently booked all 3 at the Hilton Kuching. Is it worthwhile to take the 4 hour shuttle to the Batang Ai Longhouse Hilton and stay overnight one night? That would essentially consume two of my days in Sarawak. What is there to do at the Batang Ai Longhouse Hilton and in the vicinity?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:07 pm

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan HiltonHhonors Diamond, Northwest Gold
I found this 10-year-old article on my libary's full-text magazine database. Hope it helps.

Hotel & Motel Management, Sept 6, 1993 v208 n15 p27(2)
Off the beaten path: an independent resort operator and Hilton International go 'under cover' to attract the adventurous tourist.
by Cristine Antolik.

Abstract: Hilton International has begun marketing to the ecotourist, or adventure tourist, through its resorts in Malaysia and Kenya. Ecotourism earned the hospitality industry $2billion to $10 billion in 1992. When Hilton completes the 50-acre Batang Ai Longhouse Resort in Malaysia, it will be the first international resort within Malaysia to focus onecotourism. The Hilton Safari Lodge in Kenya has achieved over 90% year roundoccupancy since the late 1980s with its combined beach and safari activities.

Full Text: COPYRIGHT Advanstar Communications Inc. 1993

When most people think of Hilton International, they visualize luxury hotels in majorcities around the world. But the company's recent projects in Kenya and Malaysia areanything but high-rise buildings in urban centers.

These two sites fall into the hospitality industry's growing branch of ecotourism, which Hilton refers to as "adventure tourism." In one package, it offers protection of the environment, a unique lodging experience and potential for an increase in profits.

"The substantial growth the hotel industry has seen in recent years has almost exclusively concentrated on the traditional development of city hotels, airport hotels and beach resorts with many areas around the world already suffering from overbuilding. Hilton International recognized the need to diversify long ago," said
Wolfgang Maier, the general manager of the Kuching Hilton in Malaysia. “The days of single destination, traditional beach-resort tourism are limited. As proven by the tremendous growthrate, people embarking on a vacation are looking for educational experiences during theirholidays," Maier said.

Ecotourism grossed profits between US$2 billion and $10 billion in 1992, making it thefastest growing segment of the hospitality industry. The Ecotourism Society, Alexandria,Va., expects those numbers to increase between 12 percent and 15 percent by the end ofthe 1990s.

Hilton's newest project, the Batang Ai Longhouse Resort in Malaysia, will be the firstinternational resort within the region to promote adventure tourism. Besides its view ofsurrounding mountains and rainforests, Hilton chose the 50-acre site because thecountry's tourism objective focuses on nature.

"Although the country has some fabulous beach resorts, the future is very clearly in usingthe country's natural beauty to develop this industry. After all, tourists have a wide choiceworldwide when opting for a beach resort, but there are not many places in the worldwhere one could go jungle trekking or visit a longhouse community," Maier said.

Development of the resort is under way on Batang Ai Lake in the Borneo state of Sarawak. The resort's first phase will open next fall to coincide with "Visit Malaysia Year 1994."

The first phase of the resort will encompass 100 guestrooms, the construction of which will be based on the traditional timber longhouse concept of the region's native lban tribes.A separate building will feature a 100-seat restaurant with an outdoor terrace, barbecuedeck and function room. The function room will be able to accommodate meetings of 150 people.

Hilton still is developing plans for its second phase. The resort will be marketed with the Kuching Hilton, located a four-hour drive away. A variety of recreational activities for visitors support nature tourism and the preservation
of the region's cultural heritage. They range from canoeing, swimming and fishing to jungle trekking and longboat excursions to the nearby Batang Ai National Park. Guestsalso can visit longhouse communities and attend cultural performances.

The company expects the new resort to follow the success of its Hilton Safari Lodge in Kenya. Hilton's lodges there originally opened in 1973. When occupany rates at the lodgereached more than 90 percent year-round in the late 1980s, Hilton decided to expand itsSalt Lick Safari Lodge - located nearby - by 32 rooms. It then added the Hilton Safari Tented Camp, which includes a number of more primitive lodgings, in April 1992.

"Kenya's unique beach and safari combination is the obvious choice for an adventuretourism vacation," said Jon Bundy, general manager of the Kenya lodgings.

The site, located in the trees of the 28,000-acre Taita Hills Hilton Wildlife Sanctuary bordering Tsavo National Park, gives guests the opportunity to view Kenya's wildlifewithin a protected environment. Activities include a hot-air balloon safari, a night drive through the sanctuary or a Kenya-style barbecue at sunset.

"The visitor is closer to nature and enjoys by day and night the sights and sounds of wildlife, large and small, far away from the hustle and bustle and bright lights of anymodern metropolis," Bundy said.

The tents surround the James Stewart House, constructed for the star's 1979 film A Taleof Africa.
Guests can stay in the camps or nearby Salt Lick Lodge, which is built on stilts above a wildlife watering hole. The tents' furnishings include two beds, dressing and bedsidetables, a separate bathroom and verandas to offer guests a safari atmosphere. Alsoprovided are Hilton International's standard in-room guest amenities.

Room rates are $185 per night single occupancy, $286 double occupancy, inclusive oftaxes and services. An additional $7 per person, per day, is charged for the gamesanctuary. Visitors also can stay at the Hilton Safari Lodge, a conference resort located a 15-minute drive away.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:01 pm

sandiego - is the shuttle free? or is there a charge? if there is a charge- how much is it?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kawoh:
sandiego - is the shuttle free? or is there a charge? if there is a charge- how much is it? </font>
From the Hilton website:

Transportation to Resort must be arranged at time of booking. There is a shuttle service that is available daily leaving Hilton Kuching at 8:00AM and departing the Resort at 1:00 PM. It takes about 4 hours drive to reach the Resort. The charges are RM100.00 per person return with a minimum of two people. Charges for children 11 years and below is RM 50.00 return. Private shuttle can also be arranged at RM 300.00 per way with a minimum of 2 people and for every additional person a charge of RM75.00 is levied.

Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:08 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
bump... Has anyone stayed at this property?

Upon further searching, found the following thread which lists activities at Batang Ai Longhouse, but I would still be interested in hearing from someone who actually stayed there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/007480.html

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 06-08-2003).]
Old May 19, 2004, 2:58 pm

Bump.

Anyone stayed here recently?

What are some of the costs involved, i.e. restaurant, tours, etc.

I"m seeing ~US$48 in June.
Old May 20, 2004, 7:37 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Stayed there a couple of nights back in March. Would be better to spend 2 nights rather than one only as it is a long drive. However the hotel is great, excellent accomodation, nice architecture. The only minus is the food
Activities are quite interesting, visiting the dayaks and their village quite fascinating. Very little fauna though to be observed.
All in all I think you should go, considering that Kuching has limited activities to offer as well
Have a good trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.