Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

will the $20 trick work in Hawaii? (or does it stay in Vegas?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH-Diamond, Scandic Top Floor, *SK-G, Choice Club Gold

Searched the FF and do not find anything outside the Las Vegas Forum. Planning a two week trip to three difefrent islands. I am curious if the $20 dollar trick, leaving a folded $20 bill between drivig licence and credit card to the front desk clerk at the time of check also works in Hawaii. Would be nice to be upgraded to suite/sea View/sea front/high floor/corner etc...

Anybody willing to share their experience on this matter??
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by airborn
Searched the FF and do not find anything outside the Las Vegas Forum. Planning a two week trip to three difefrent islands. I am curious if the $20 dollar trick, leaving a folded $20 bill between drivig licence and credit card to the front desk clerk at the time of check also works in Hawaii. Would be nice to be upgraded to suite/sea View/sea front/high floor/corner etc...

Anybody willing to share their experience on this matter??
Yeah it works. On O'ahu, we got upgraded to a corner suite once for a bag of beef jerky we brought back from Vegas for that exact purpose; but on the Big Island we got shot down for an upgrade for a box of Krispy Kremes we brought over from Maui - they did, however, send us up a bottle of champagne with a thank you note!

As a veteran plier of the $20 trick, let me offer this advice: don't be too coy about it: it might not get picked up on by the desk clerk. We say right up front to the desk clerk at check-in: "By the way, if you can find any complimentary upgrades for us that you think will improve our stay here, we'd like to tip you a $20 for your efforts."

Tipping in general for service is standard in hotels; front desk clerks don't get tipped that often; they often give complimentary upgrades to complainers/whiners/ungrateful creeps who tip them nothing: why shouldn't they give a complimentary upgrade to a nice person who offers them a tip?

Hope this helps,

Aloha kakou!

P.S. Forgot the best: on Lana'i, we got upgraded from garden view to ocean view for an 18 pc. bucket of KFC we brought over from Lahaina!!!!!

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Last edited by kaukau; Mar 6, 2008 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta
I tried it once with a 5, but got downgraded. YMMV.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
kaukau, I applaud your creativity and thinking outside the box (or the bill).
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by linsj
kaukau, I applaud your creativity and thinking outside the box (or the bill).
Mahalo, linsj.

You are very kind.

Aloha kakao.

A hui hou!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Emerald Executive, Priority Club
We'll be staying at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas the first week of April. I might try the $20 trick. Does it work at the timeshare properties? We've got an island view studio in the North villas reserved on a discounted rate right now.

KFC and Krispy Kremes... LMAO.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:56 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Mobil,
We check into the Westin Ka'anapali on April 2nd. I'll dare my husband to offer and ask. I'll let you know.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:14 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Emerald Executive, Priority Club
Originally Posted by PBQ
Mobil,
We check into the Westin Ka'anapali on April 2nd. I'll dare my husband to offer and ask. I'll let you know.
HA... we check in on 4/1. I'll let YOU know.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
FWIW it worked for me at the All'i tower at the HHV in Waikiki. Wasn't an earth shattering upgrade, but I was able to get a pool/partial ocean view instead of the garden view. I wouldn't have even thought of doing it in Hawaii until I saw this thread.

Good luck, and thanks to the advice and suggestions in this forum, I had a great trip to HNL. ^
Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would be very upset if it works at SPG properties. We were charged 3500 points per night to upgrade from a crappy room (the cash upgrade alternative was $190/nt). So a $20 bribe would seem to be paltry by comparison.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
Yes, but the $20 goes to the front desk clerk, your points do not.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:13 pm

Talking

My husband calls me shameless for trying these tactics but I have a decent success rate with asking nicely/begging and even better with the "tip" technique BUT I am thinking that if the stay is a week or longer that I'd try $50 since it will be well worth your money in most instances. Seeing these tactics in print makes me feel normal I HAVE to ask though.....how do you finesse the clerk with KFC? Do you just come out and say " I have this mighty fine bucket of breasts and thighs- if you could just find me a room upgrade" ??
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by thenelsons
My husband calls me shameless for trying these tactics but I have a decent success rate with asking nicely/begging and even better with the "tip" technique BUT I am thinking that if the stay is a week or longer that I'd try $50 since it will be well worth your money in most instances. Seeing these tactics in print makes me feel normal I HAVE to ask though.....how do you finesse the clerk with KFC? Do you just come out and say " I have this mighty fine bucket of breasts and thighs- if you could just find me a room upgrade" ??
Methinks it's a function of the lack of a KFC on Lanai. If there's no McDonalds on Lanai, then a Big Mac might function in a pinch.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by turtlegirl
Yes, but the $20 goes to the front desk clerk, your points do not.
Yes, but in Vegas everyone has their hand out (see the recent Vegas blog post in the LA Times) and it is tacitly condoned by management.

In other places you get fired for taking tips when it is company policy to upsell the customer to an upgrade (at SPG resorts they are pushing upgrades at $190/nt on the Hawaii properties)
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
I realize everyone in Vegas is used to tipping and it's condoned. In Hawaii I'm sure they're instructed to upsell the rooms. Do you think the front desk clerks would be fired if they accepted a tip for room upgrade? If so, i don't want to tempt them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.