Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

will the $20 trick work in Hawaii? (or does it stay in Vegas?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

will the $20 trick work in Hawaii? (or does it stay in Vegas?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PBQ
Mobil,
We check into the Westin Ka'anapali on April 2nd. I'll dare my husband to offer and ask. I'll let you know.
Ha, May 18 here! I'm definitely watching this thread! Hell, I'll give $50 if it gets me an ocean view (booked on island view).
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
May 19 here! Maybe I'll see you around.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:49 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Westin Update

Our 2 year old daughter had a stomach virus so we needed to ask for early check in at the Westin on April 2nd. They got us in a room at 11:30 am (usual check in is at 4, I believe) so my husband did not feel like they would also upgrade us.

Before the Aloha abd ATA issues, they seemed pretty full.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:43 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by turtlegirl
I realize everyone in Vegas is used to tipping and it's condoned. In Hawaii I'm sure they're instructed to upsell the rooms. Do you think the front desk clerks would be fired if they accepted a tip for room upgrade? If so, i don't want to tempt them...
Most probably they will not be fired but .... bribery is wrong, against the law and shouldn't be done. I am shocked to see that this "trick" has spread from Vegas to other parts of the US.
I thought you only find this in some developing countries but it seems it is mainstream in the US now.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:21 am

Please shock me with the names of the other US cities.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
OP--thanks for prompting me to think outside the Vegas box...I will be in Maui staying at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club for three nights (4/10-13/08). I think I will try it and will report back. Has anyone had any luck at this vacation resort?

Last edited by sandyweb33; Apr 6, 2008 at 3:21 pm
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I think the $20 trick works anywhere - just don't make it obvious - hold the money with your credit card! I know it sometimes works in New York according to a cousin of mine!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Most probably they will not be fired but .... bribery is wrong, against the law and shouldn't be done.
What law of morality or the US would that be? It isn't bribing to tip someone for helping you. Its a service. They can do what they want with it. If they go beyond the rules, they could be fired. In that case, it is still THEIR choice to accept the tip.

If anyone has success at the Villas, keep us posted.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by erasmus99
What law of morality or the US would that be? It isn't bribing to tip someone for helping you. Its a service. They can do what they want with it. If they go beyond the rules, they could be fired. In that case, it is still THEIR choice to accept the tip.
Bribing is against the law on a federal level and on a state level in the US. The big question always is, what is a bribe, a tip or what is lobbying?

You call it tipping, some other posters here called it a bribe. There are many threads about it at some of the Hotel sections of this site. Some people are quite happy to accept this, others feel quite annoyed.

It is obviously a cultural thing. If you consider offering someone money so he/she alters her action against the company rule in your favour to be tipping, then this is fine. I just don't agree.

Btw, it might be their choice whether they accept the "tip" or not. But offering a bribe is treated the same way as accepting a bribe in most countries.

This thread is helpful because it helps me to determine which hotels to avoid in the future. Because what's the point of booking a Hilton, Starwood etc. property if I won't get an upgrade due to my status because all the rooms are gone from people bribing the check-in staff?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Bribing is against the law on a federal level and on a state level in the US. The big question always is, what is a bribe, a tip or what is lobbying?

You call it tipping, some other posters here called it a bribe. There are many threads about it at some of the Hotel sections of this site. Some people are quite happy to accept this, others feel quite annoyed.

It is obviously a cultural thing. If you consider offering someone money so he/she alters her action against the company rule in your favour to be tipping, then this is fine. I just don't agree.

Btw, it might be their choice whether they accept the "tip" or not. But offering a bribe is treated the same way as accepting a bribe in most countries.

This thread is helpful because it helps me to determine which hotels to avoid in the future. Because what's the point of booking a Hilton, Starwood etc. property if I won't get an upgrade due to my status because all the rooms are gone from people bribing the check-in staff?
I'm not going to point out all the nonsense in your post, but I will say that if you eliminate all the hotels that "bribing" works at, you're going to end up sleeping in your car.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^
I will also report a person accepting this "tip" to hotel's and chain's management.

This is a bribe plain and simple; it's not any different from offering a GA $100 to be moved to C or F (I don't think anyone here wants to try this).
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Aloha kakou,

A topic check, please The topic at hand is experiences with whether the $20 trick works at Hawaiian hotels or not. General discussions of whether tipping is ever appropriate, whether tipping is the same as bribery, etc., etc., are better suited for Travel Buzz or OMNI.

Malama pono

cblaisd & slippahs
Moderators, Hawai`i forum
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:05 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by kaukau
Yeah it works. On O'ahu, we got upgraded to a corner suite once for a bag of beef jerky we brought back from Vegas for that exact purpose; but on the Big Island we got shot down for an upgrade for a box of Krispy Kremes we brought over from Maui - they did, however, send us up a bottle of champagne with a thank you note!
How did you fit a box of krispy kremes between your drivers license and your credit card???
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by pmax
How did you fit a box of krispy kremes between your drivers license and your credit card???
LOL!

With a smile!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
I , for one, am going to try it upon check-in at the GH Kauai in May. I'll let you know what happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.