Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Having a LIH-(HNL)-ANC trip coming up with a HA/AS combo with 2:30 hrs time to connect, so I guess I'm safe. (whole trip on one ticket)

Still, the luggage (interlining) situation is unclear - can I check thru in LIH? If so, do I need to go to agriculture inspection there? How long is it open? Or should I re-check in HNL and go to agri insp there?

(Finally - do AS provide lounge access to BA elites? Just wishful thinking, probably)
I'll have to leave the interline question to other, more knowledgeable people, but I can confirm that BA elite status won't do anything for you when flying on AS.

Also, AS does not have its own lounge in HNL, so that's a moot point. However, if you are booked in First Class (paid/award, not upgraded), you'll get lounge access in the AS Board Room upon arrival in ANC, but that's it.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:51 pm

Connecting from International Flight to Mainland

Hi,

My Uncle is flying in on JAL from Japan this week and we are planning on meeting him in Honolulu and continuing on to Maui on Hawaiian. He has one ticket so he should be able to check his bag through to Maui. My question is where is the best place to meet up? After Customs and Bag Drop does he have to leave the security zone to get to the interisland terminal? If not, is it easy for him to get to the Interisland terminal. If he does have to leave the security zone is there a place after customs where we can meet up with him. (We'll most likely check our bags before he lands so we'll just need to go through security to our Maui flight)

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilmore
Hi,

My Uncle is flying in on JAL from Japan this week and we are planning on meeting him in Honolulu and continuing on to Maui on Hawaiian. He has one ticket so he should be able to check his bag through to Maui. My question is where is the best place to meet up? After Customs and Bag Drop does he have to leave the security zone to get to the interisland terminal? If not, is it easy for him to get to the Interisland terminal. If he does have to leave the security zone is there a place after customs where we can meet up with him. (We'll most likely check our bags before he lands so we'll just need to go through security to our Maui flight)

Thanks!
A couple of general issues first. Your uncle can't check his bag through to Maui. All bags must be picked up taken through customs upon arrival in the US. Afterwards, he can recheck if he would like. He will also have to leave the secured area and go through security again. Both are general procedures for arrival at any US airport.

There are some exceptions where an airline will allow passengers to prescreen customs and immigration at the foreign airport. There instances are very rare.

I'll let those more knowledgable speak to the specifics of connecting from international to inter-island.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:35 am

AKL-HNL-OGG Connection Times

Hi-
I'm flying from AKL to HNL and then on to OGG on HA - My AKL to HNL flight arrives at 9:45 - How much time should I allow to clear customs, recheck bags and proceed to the inter-island terminal?

Think 11:22 is doable? I'm assuming I'll need to pick up my bags and recheck before boarding the OGG flight?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:23 am

Bump... Anyone??? Called Hawaiian Air and they said 90 minutes - the 11:22 flight would be just over 90... Sounds ok?[

QUOTE=jeremybe;22539131]Hi-
I'm flying from AKL to HNL and then on to OGG on HA - My AKL to HNL flight arrives at 9:45 - How much time should I allow to clear customs, recheck bags and proceed to the inter-island terminal?

Think 11:22 is doable? I'm assuming I'll need to pick up my bags and recheck before boarding the OGG flight?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jeremybe
Bump... Anyone??? Called Hawaiian Air and they said 90 minutes - the 11:22 flight would be just over 90... Sounds ok?[

QUOTE=jeremybe;22539131]Hi-

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Sounds OK. But it sounds like you are not comfortable with their advice, so why not just add more time and relax at the airport?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:42 pm

What is the procedure when arriving from Sydney with Qantas and transferring onto Hawaiian airlines flight to maui 2.5 hrs connection. All single ticket.
Also and perhaps more importantly procedure on return with 1 hr 15 min connection?
Any advice appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:08 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Highly recommend that you leave more time for the connection on your return. While HA has the best on-time record in the industry, system-wide delays have been known to occur, and unless you want an overnight in HNL, more time between flights would be prudent.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
What is the procedure when arriving from Sydney with Qantas and transferring onto Hawaiian airlines flight to maui 2.5 hrs connection. All single ticket.
Also and perhaps more importantly procedure on return with 1 hr 15 min connection?
Any advice appreciated.
Arriving, you'll clear immigration at HNL. As is the case with all international arrivals in the U.S., you'll have to retrieve your checked baggage, proceed through customs, and then re-check your bag, even if it's been checked through to OGG. I've never done an international arrival at HNL, but I assume it's like most other international airports in the U.S. and, if your bag is tagged to OGG, there will be a re-check desk or conveyor belt to put your bag on immediately after exiting customs (so you don't need to wait in line to check it).

Departing, HA should check your bag through to SYD. There is no international departure control leaving the U.S., so you'll exit from your OGG-HNL flight and walk directly through the concourse (airside) to the QF departure gate and board your flight. In normal circumstances, 1h15m is plenty, but as mentioned above, a delay can ruin things. If it's not too late, and/or if there's no fee to do so, I would suggest trying to get an earlier interisland flight. That said, if it's too late to change that without a big change fee and/or higher fare, I wouldn't worry too much, and because you're on a single ticket, if you do misconnect, you will be rebooked to SYD on the next flight with space available at no additional cost to you, although you might be stuck in a middle seat if the flight is full. The overnight hotel would be covered unless the delay is caused by an act of God, but those are not common in Hawaii.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:09 pm

Thanks, ideally I would agree about the transfer time, however with Go! leaving Hawaii Qantas rebooked us onto the Hawaiian airlines flight with a shorter connection than would be preferable.
Your responses have been helpful.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:01 am

Baggage Question?????????????????????

First of all I am new to flyertalk and am not sure if this is where and how I post this. My wife and I are going to Hawaii in July(both just retired). We are flying Hawaiian Airline from JFK, staying 7 nights in Oahu then flying to Maui for 7 nights. I'm not that concerned about Oahu but when returning home fro Maui do we have to claim our luggage in Oahu then go to a different place to recheck them for the flight to JFK? We are flying First Class on Hawaiian Air on all legs of the trip. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The last time we were in Hawaii was in 1977 for our honeymoon. Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by papo112
First of all I am new to flyertalk and am not sure if this is where and how I post this. My wife and I are going to Hawaii in July(both just retired). We are flying Hawaiian Airline from JFK, staying 7 nights in Oahu then flying to Maui for 7 nights. I'm not that concerned about Oahu but when returning home fro Maui do we have to claim our luggage in Oahu then go to a different place to recheck them for the flight to JFK? We are flying First Class on Hawaiian Air on all legs of the trip. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The last time we were in Hawaii was in 1977 for our honeymoon. Thanks
Welcome back to Hawaii! We have missed you!

Your luggage will be seamlessly transferred between flights without you having to claim them until JFK.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
What is it with HNL and FT members! There I was minding my own business doing an opportunistic weekender to HNL after a Friday meeting in LAX only to find my self seemingly being stalked by one Buggerlugs from HNL to LAX and then to JFK!

Still, it's always nice to unexpectedly put a forum name to face
Old May 4, 2014, 10:42 pm

2hr Connection at HNL??

Hello there,
I am trying to maximize our stopover at Hawaii. We are arriving at HNL at 5:30pm from Beijing. The last flight out to Hilo is 7:39pm. Will there be enough time for us to clear the customs (non-US citizen), collect our check-ins, and then go through TSA again for the ITO flight?
Heard about the "ALOHA AIRPORT DELIVERY AND STORAGE", planning to let them take over our check-ins from HNL, so do have to recheck the bags.
Or we are better off to stay the night nearby HNL, and then catch an early morning flight?
Thank you all in advance.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
You should be ok. TSA isn't very busy at interisland that time of the day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.