Wiki Posts
Search

HA: HNL - Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DCF
In effect, Americans from west of the Rockies travel to Hawaii, but from east of the Rockies they are far, far more likely to go to the Caribbean or Mexico.
I think that also illustrates why Europeans would not particularly want a direct flight to Hawaii - it's just that bit too far.

From Europe you can get to some pretty far-flung places as it is that involve a shorter flight and that are probably far cheaper to get to (look at the competition on routes to Thailand, for instance - some carriers such as Lufthansa and Air France can't make money on the route - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-nkg-cut.html; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ofitable.html; BA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...owngraded.html) Many of these destinations are also far cheaper than Hawaii. Whether for good or for bad, Hawaii just doesn't really feature as a viable 2 week holiday destination for most Europeans - and even if there was a direct service I don't think it would really make it all that more attractive.

In 2011 (the last year whose figures I could find), [url=http://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/default/assets/File/research/2011%20State%20Factsheet%20073112.pdf]114,823 arrivals from Europe were recorded[/quote]. Looking back over the last decade or so, the figure is fairly stable at a little above 100k per year. A report from a few years back indicates that around half of that figure comes from the UK alone. So the UK would clearly be the best place to target first. Still, while an existing market of 50,000 passengers a year could probably be grown, I'm not sure they would be able to stimulate demand enough to make the route profitable...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by DCF
I
But a 50 year old doctor and his lawyer wife from the suburbs of London is used to flying Premium Economy long-haul, and getting a glass of champagne before take-off and included IFE, pillows, blanket, premium drinks. Sitting in domestic Coach on United for 5 hours after having left London 14 hours earlier is a dealbreaker, pure and simple.
I really don't think there's anything to argue about. They will either determine there's a market for them and try it, or they won't. We won't know what they will do for several years.

The Hawaii Tourism Authority website lists visitor totals from the various regions around the world.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
they are making it work on other routes and people that fly from UK and EU to Hawaii today pay more than that.

That seems to be where Dunkerly has been successful, making routes work that haven't worked or don't work for others.

Anyway, no matter how you look at it or agree/disagree with an opinion here, that's all it is at this point.

They could do it via YVR.

-David
I'm not sure too many Canadians would fly to Europe on HA though.
No alliance kills it for me personally.
(Maybe for leisure travelers but AB couldn't even make money there and fares to Europe were dirt cheap, plus I get OW benefits to boot.)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I'm not sure too many Canadians would fly to Europe on HA though.
lol. Do you want to try that again with the correct context?

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I don't know if BA/any European airline would have the necessary rights to operate such a flight, stopping in one US port before continuing to another (HNL), and even if they could, they definitely would not have the right to pick up passengers for carriage only between the US ports, which would make such a service harder to justify (only US carriers can carry passengers on domestic sectors entirely within the United States).
They could do it via YVR.
-David
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

They will either determine there's a market for them and try it, or they won't. We won't know what they will do for several years. -David
Indeed....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:39 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I think that also illustrates why Europeans would not particularly want a direct flight to Hawaii - it's just that bit too far.

From Europe you can get to some pretty far-flung places as it is that involve a shorter flight and that are probably far cheaper to get to (look at the competition on routes to Thailand, for instance - some carriers such as Lufthansa and Air France can't make money on the route - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-nkg-cut.html; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ofitable.html; BA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...owngraded.html) Many of these destinations are also far cheaper than Hawaii. Whether for good or for bad, Hawaii just doesn't really feature as a viable 2 week holiday destination for most Europeans - and even if there was a direct service I don't think it would really make it all that more attractive.

In 2011 (the last year whose figures I could find), [url=http://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/default/assets/File/research/2011%20State%20Factsheet%20073112.pdf]114,823 arrivals from Europe were recorded
. Looking back over the last decade or so, the figure is fairly stable at a little above 100k per year. A report from a few years back indicates that around half of that figure comes from the UK alone. So the UK would clearly be the best place to target first. Still, while an existing market of 50,000 passengers a year could probably be grown, I'm not sure they would be able to stimulate demand enough to make the route profitable...[/QUOTE]

I partially agree. But huge numbers of Europeans spent time in Hawaii when their aircraft from Australia or New Zealand used to have to refuel there, so the interest was always there.

Hundreds of thousands of Europeans visit the Maldives and coastal Thailand and Malaysia each year, with a large proportion flying 16-24 hours via Dubai or Singapore.

But those flights are comfortable - there is AVOD, proper meals and free drinks even in Economy class. As soon as a Travel Agent explains the levels of discomfort on the long US domestic sectors to get to Hawaii those passengers lock in Phuket or Bali instead.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I'll repost post #8 again for the sake of this discussion. Yes, there were decades of BA service from the UK to Hawaii, using HNL as a stopover point and hub to other destinations in Japan or in Oceania. SQ also used to fly to HNL via TPE using Boeing 747-200s and DC-10s. The routing was SIN-TPE-HNL-LAX. As said previously, HNL has a whole history of successful airline service, where airlines used HNL as a stopover to serve other markets and not necessary an end of line destination. And, if you go back further, the first carrier to use HNL as stopover airline service was PA, using the Martin M-130 China Clipper. See below:

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Back in the day, BA's predecessor, BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation) used HNL as a hub for their flights from LHR for years, connecting on the US east coast or polar route nonstop to SFO or LAX. These flights would then continue on from SFO and LAX to HNL, and then on again continue to NAN, SYD or TYO. Eventually, these flights would then thread their way via Asia back to LHR. BA's Boeing 707-420s or Vickers Super VC-10s were used on these routes.

UA used to have, and may still have one-stop HNL-SFO-LHR service with one flight number, although a change of plane may be required in SFO.

In the early 1980s, with the arrival of longer range wide-body aircraft, most airlines that used to serve HNL from Asia to the US mainland would begin to overfly HNL in order to serve growing business markets in those sectors wanting nonstop trans pacific service. HA has been successful so far in reversing that trend by reintroducing HNL as a hub servicing the pacific rim, while capturing new combinations of leisure and leisure/business markets via HNL. Furthermore, as partners, one can conceivably fly on a one-stop LHR-LAX-HNL flight today, using VS and HA with LAX as a transfer point. So there are many successful historical precedents for Hawaii-Europe service. It's just that many on this forum think of HNL solely as a destination, whereas, in history, HNL was a popular stopover point for the Oceania-Hawaii-Europe market. This route was seen as a faster way of getting to western Europe than flying through Asia, while allowing a stopover for rest in Hawaii.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And back in the day, ANC and SNN were major technical stops too!

I wish I'd experienced the days of real round-the-world service like that, but these days, the European carriers that serve Asia/South East Asia/Oceania/Australia all fly east from Europe, rather than heading west across the Atlantic (the sole exception I'm aware of being Air France's CDG-LAX-PPT). (As an avid Australia visitor, it's extremely rare to get suggestions from Europe to Australia routing through the US)

Hawaii is just about positioned in the worst possible place for services from Europe. It's no longer on an established route to anywhere else (viewed from Europe) so the European airlines no longer find themselves flying over the Pacific and so won't have the opportunity to call at Hawaii. And it's probably just not a lucrative enough destination in its own right (viewed from Europe), particularly when it can be reached so easily from the continental United States, to justify a dedicated service of its own.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCF
In effect, Americans from west of the Rockies travel to Hawaii, but from east of the Rockies they are far, far more likely to go to the Caribbean or Mexico.

... most Americans are incredibly ignorant about their 50th state. They haven't a clue that there is a Royal history or that it offers anything more than the "big beach on a t*rd of an island" that certain West Indian islands offer. Their own President has to play down his Hawaiian upbringing to get elected, and has to purport to be from Chicago.
Before this thread fades into obscurity just want to say while DCF does make some interesting points, I have to question the (off-topic re: HNL/Europe feasibility) above comments.

US east coast volume to Hawaii has been none too shabby, between 1.5 - 2 million/year since 1989; UA's ORD/EWR NS service continues to thrive and HA's JFK also seems to have been successful.

With all respect, the "incredibly ignorant" statement is a bit out of line. Not sure how anyone can gauge "most American's" perception or appreciation of the 50th State, but I find it difficult to assume that Hawaii is viewed (by either Yanks or Europeans) as an obscure, historically insignificant destination with nothing more to offer than a beach.

Perhaps I don't understand the negative sentiment (indirectly expressed above) for a route that will not be fully contemplated for several years, if it doesn't make sense then so be it, Dunkerley clearly expressed this caution.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:11 am

It would not be the first time HA flies to Europe: There was a weekly ZRH ANC HNL flight about 25 years ago. A DC-8 was used, even then by no means a state-of-the-art bird. And it was a lousy operation with plenty of cancellations and long delays.

Looking at European arrivals in Hawaii can be misleading: Hawaii is mainly an add-on to mainland vacations, California + Hawaii being the most obvious combination. Frankly, I’ve hardly ever heard of a European visitor going straight to Hawaii and straight back again.

Hawaii is not a mass market destination for Europeans and it will never be. For the premium market, US domestic airline standards are not competitive, as others have stated.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
And back in the day, ANC and SNN were major technical stops too!

I wish I'd experienced the days of real round-the-world service like that, but these days, the European carriers that serve Asia/South East Asia/Oceania/Australia all fly east from Europe, rather than heading west across the Atlantic (the sole exception I'm aware of being Air France's CDG-LAX-PPT). (As an avid Australia visitor, it's extremely rare to get suggestions from Europe to Australia routing through the US)

Hawaii is just about positioned in the worst possible place for services from Europe. It's no longer on an established route to anywhere else (viewed from Europe) so the European airlines no longer find themselves flying over the Pacific and so won't have the opportunity to call at Hawaii. And it's probably just not a lucrative enough destination in its own right (viewed from Europe), particularly when it can be reached so easily from the continental United States, to justify a dedicated service of its own.
Yes, you are correct about that from the European origin perspective. But this thread is discussing the potential for HA to expand to Europe, while potentially connecting those services to other destinations using HNL as a hub. That discussion is different from a European airline trying to serve Hawaii as a final destination. HA has increasingly been doing expansions while looking into opportunities (so far successfully) using HNL as a stopover between other points in the Pacific Rim. Expansion into Europe is a logical strategy in their business plans, as long HA can take advantage of opportunities with connecting traffic from an HNL hub elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Yak40
It would not be the first time HA flies to Europe: There was a weekly ZRH ANC HNL flight about 25 years ago. A DC-8 was used, even then by no means a state-of-the-art bird. And it was a lousy operation with plenty of cancellations and long delays.

Looking at European arrivals in Hawaii can be misleading: Hawaii is mainly an add-on to mainland vacations, California + Hawaii being the most obvious combination. Frankly, I’ve hardly ever heard of a European visitor going straight to Hawaii and straight back again.

Hawaii is not a mass market destination for Europeans and it will never be. For the premium market, US domestic airline standards are not competitive, as others have stated.
I do remember HA flying to ANC about that time. I seem to remember that they had some sort of service, I thought it was charter service to Europe. Thank you for bringing forward that history.

No one said that Hawaii is a mass destination for Europeans. But repeating again, the airline history is there for HNL to have stopover service. QF had this kind of service. So did NZ, AC and CPAir, back in the day. JL had the same transpacific service using HNL as a stopover as PA.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by tonywestsider

But this thread is discussing the potential for HA to expand to Europe, while potentially connecting those services to other destinations using HNL as a hub.
I think you are on your own on the hub part of that.

-David
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
It's interesting to read the many comments from naysayers.

I think I pretty much agree that there isn't a huge market for premium travel from Europe to Hawaii. What limited premium market exists probably opts for F or C class with proper lie-flats seats on direct flights to SEA/SFO/LAX, with connections to HNL/OGG/KOA - no need to change to HA.

That said, Hawaii gets plenty of students, researchers, ecotourists and other visitors from Europe. And plenty of us from Hawaii make it to Europe as well. I recently did ITO-HNL-EWR-IST-AYT on HA/UA/TK. The HNL-EWR-IST portion of that is two overnight flights of about 10 hours each, with a five-hour layover in between. Would I trade those 25 hours and the "double redeye" for a single flight of, say, 15-17 hours? Of course I would.

If they can make this work 2 frequencies a week (say, one on the weekend and one mid-week), it'd be of great interest to me.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

I think you are on your own on the hub part of that.-David
Forgive them for they know not what they....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:36 pm

I live on the East Coast, I wonder if I'll be able to make any use of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.