Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA: HNL - Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I live on the East Coast, I wonder if I'll be able to make any use of this.
Probably not as the NS route contemplated is from HNL to Europe...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:07 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by DanTravels
It's interesting to read the many comments from naysayers.

I think I pretty much agree that there isn't a huge market for premium travel from Europe to Hawaii. What limited premium market exists probably opts for F or C class with proper lie-flats seats on direct flights to SEA/SFO/LAX, with connections to HNL/OGG/KOA - no need to change to HA.
No.

With respect, absolutely not.

What we have learned from Qantas and Air New Zealand and even Virgin Atlantic is that there is a huge market of self-funded leisure travellers from Europe to the Pacific, and the ones with household incomes over $100,000 are prepared to pay double the discount economy fare for a Premium Economy ticket.

They expect this to buy:

1. The recline of a North American domestic "First Class" seat, but in a narrower (18-20 inch) seat.

2. AVOD.

3. Cooked meals on any sector longer than 2 hours.

4. Baggage.

5. Unlimited free drinks.

6. Priority check-in and boarding.

Those are effectively nowadays the minimum standards for affluent but not rich European travellers to select a long-haul leisure destination.

In the case of Hawaii, it's obvious that the LHR-HNL fare levels would be:

Economy: 800 pounds / $1200 return
Premium Economy: 1600 pounds / $2400 return
Lie-flat Business Class: 3000 pounds / $4500 return.

I don't think that the Business Class demand would be for more than 1 row per flight.

Which means that Premium Economy would be the difference between success and failure.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I think you are on your own on the hub part of that.

-David
Originally Posted by tdowl5757
Forgive them for they know not what they....
I'm trying to expand on a strategy using airline history at HNL, for the folk that don't realize it, or rather too young to realize it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
I'm trying to expand on a strategy using airline history at HNL, for the folk that don't realize it, or rather too young to realize it.
lol

-David
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, you are correct about that from the European origin perspective. But this thread is discussing the potential for HA to expand to Europe, while potentially connecting those services to other destinations using HNL as a hub. That discussion is different from a European airline trying to serve Hawaii as a final destination. HA has increasingly been doing expansions while looking into opportunities (so far successfully) using HNL as a stopover between other points in the Pacific Rim. Expansion into Europe is a logical strategy in their business plans, as long HA can take advantage of opportunities with connecting traffic from an HNL hub elsewhere.

I do remember HA flying to ANC about that time. I seem to remember that they had some sort of service, I thought it was charter service to Europe. Thank you for bringing forward that history.

No one said that Hawaii is a mass destination for Europeans. But repeating again, the airline history is there for HNL to have stopover service. QF had this kind of service. So did NZ, AC and CPAir, back in the day. JL had the same transpacific service using HNL as a stopover as PA.
Add KE to that list.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by DCF
No.

With respect, absolutely not.

...there is a huge market of self-funded leisure travellers from Europe to the Pacific, and the ones with household incomes over $100,000 are prepared to pay double the discount economy fare for a Premium Economy ticket.
(Remainder of lengthy prognostication snipped)

I'll note that "the Pacific" is a lot more general than Hawaii. That rich Europeans are vacationing in Tahiti or Fiji is hardly news. Some here appear to think there's some debate about them doing so in Hawaii.

I agree with you that E+ would be a very good thing to have on such long flights. Certainly, even on the not-quite-so-long flights from Europe to cities along the west coast of North America (YVR/SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX) they're great to have.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DanTravels
(Remainder of lengthy prognostication snipped)

I'll note that "the Pacific" is a lot more general than Hawaii. That rich Europeans are vacationing in Tahiti or Fiji is hardly news. Some here appear to think there's some debate about them doing so in Hawaii.

I agree with you that E+ would be a very good thing to have on such long flights. Certainly, even on the not-quite-so-long flights from Europe to cities along the west coast of North America (YVR/SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX) they're great to have.
If I didn't have access to MCE/eVIPs on AA I would just take BA (it's easier to get an opup on BA IME)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
lol

-David
Too young? Arrgghh, ever flown on a DC-3........?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by tdowl5757
Too young? Arrgghh, ever flown on a DC-3........?
Oh yes I have flown on a DC-3, and it was on HA's LIH-HNL route. Ever seen a "stewardess" walk "downhill" in a DC-3 cabin on the ground wearing high heel shoes? Well, that was on HA's DC-3s back in the day.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Oh yes I have flown on a DC-3, and it was on HA's LIH-HNL route. Ever seen a "stewardess" walk "downhill" in a DC-3 cabin on the ground wearing high heel shoes? Well, that was on HA's DC-3s back in the day.
Well played Sir, I salute you and the "Stew"...
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Need lie flat seats

IF HA goes to ULH, hope they have true international first class service for those flights.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
IF HA goes to ULH, hope they have true international first class service for those flights.
Lie-Flat solution = HNL-LAX (stopover) LAX-LHR on BA First for 62,500 miles one-way. I am doing this exact itinerary this summer! (check out my post for more details)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by romsdeals3
Lie-Flat solution = HNL-LAX (stopover) LAX-LHR on BA First for 62,500 miles one-way. I am doing this exact itinerary this summer! (check out my post for more details)
Which flight are you taking with lie flats between HNL and LAX in the summertime?

and does it have anything to do with speculation about HA flying n/s to/from Europe in the future?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 13, 2013 at 5:04 am
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Originally Posted by romsdeals3
I think I found your post (http://romsdeals.com/2013/03/11/two-...ickets-part-1/) but I don't see anything to indicate that HNL-LAX is on equipment with lie-flat seats.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Sorry, HNL-LAX is not lie flat.. but LAX-LHR is lie flat. That's the best solution.. HNL-LAX is only 5 hours and you shouldn't complain for having a recliner seat for a short flight.. or maybe you should?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.