Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Just did 2 more loans taking the teams total to 800.
Closing in on $25000 fast.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by JDiver
Jenbel, I have made a few loans with partners that didn't quite have wings or in countries where the "fraction of corruption" is high - like Kenya - and in most cases, things have gone well. In one or two, not - but I'll keep on with this because of the positive impact and truly few defaults.
I did check and that particular loan is 85% repaid. So I'm not seeing it as a massive problem even if the partner does start having problems. And certainly not enough to discourage me from doing this.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Statistic Name FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 116
Number of Loans 806
Number of Loans per Member 6.95
Total Amount Loaned $25,225.00
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Hey giblet - good luck with the application! Do let us know how you get on - would be great to get field reports.
I submitted my Kiva Fellows last week and was just notified that I have made it to the first round of interviews! I'm sure this is because I mentioned the FlyerTalk lending team in my application.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 5:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We'll keep our fingers well crossed for you! It would be great to have a FlyerTalker on the inside...

846 loans from 117 members
:-: $26,250.00 lent :-:
an average of 7 loans per FlyerTalker, and $224 lent per FTer

Originally Posted by giblet
I submitted my Kiva Fellows last week and was just notified that I have made it to the first round of interviews! I'm sure this is because I mentioned the FlyerTalk lending team in my application.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:49 am

Just added a Burundi loan (my first to that country) to my portfolio and the FT team total.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Okay, I just loaned $100 to Blanca Esther. I selected her on the basis of her need, her entrepreneurial motivation, and her chances of success.

(Okay, who the heck am I kidding? Most of you know me -- I chose her because she was the cutest woman I saw there.)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:02 pm

Okay, I just made three more loans to women in food production. Check out Lolita Labadan: http://www.kiva.org/lend/189544 Love the picture of a pig on a spit. Yum.

Also, it's great to see that the Flyertalk team has a higher lending rate than the Kiva average, which is 5.4
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

I'll tell you one thing - I do not want to be part of her "inventory and working capital", spit or no spit! We really should go and visit her to test the quality of her lechón.

7.4 loans per member and we hit $27,000 today! Yeah, we are doing all right!

Okay, I just made three more loans to women in food production. Check out Lolita Labadan: http://www.kiva.org/lend/189544 Love the picture of a pig on a spit. Yum.

Also, it's great to see that the Flyertalk team has a higher lending rate than the Kiva average, which is 5.4
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:30 pm

Flyertalkers--

If you hadn't considered making a loan before, now is the time! You can lend money using your points/miles-earning credit card and then as the loan is paid back, you have have the funds returned to your PayPal account.

You can make loans as small as $25 or over $1000. The loans are paid back in monthly installments over the period of the loan, which is usually around 8-14 months. Although there is a small risk, I have been lending for 2 years and have a 0% default rate on my loans. Each month you can have the funds returned to you, and then use your credit card to make more loans.

As one member pointed out, this is a lot easier than carrying coins to the bank! Earn miles while helping entrepreneurs in developing countries--what could be better?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just added another 4 loans and will be adding more so that I can churn a few hundred $$ per month.

It sure does beat lugging coins, and the risk of default over a large number of loans is pretty small. I consider it a small price to pay for the miles.

I had about 20 loans outstanding and didn't do it for the miles, but the churning aspect made me take out more.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

BRILLIANT idea, giblet! PayPal, which allows us and Kiva to use it for free when crediting to Kiva, allows us to use those miles-generating credit cards to fund our loans. They oughta HIRE you for that... And it looks like we have one more lending team member - and Mary2e bumped us to $27,250! ^

Also fellow FT members and Kiva lenders:

Be sure to check out the BBC article online! Link.

BTW< if anyone chooses to link to FB (or is there), check out the Kiva group there too.

Flyertalkers--

If you hadn't considered making a loan before, now is the time! You can lend money using your points/miles-earning credit card and then as the loan is paid back, you have have the funds returned to your PayPal account.

You can make loans as small as $25 or over $1000. The loans are paid back in monthly installments over the period of the loan, which is usually around 8-14 months. Although there is a small risk, I have been lending for 2 years and have a 0% default rate on my loans. Each month you can have the funds returned to you, and then use your credit card to make more loans.

As one member pointed out, this is a lot easier than carrying coins to the bank! Earn miles while helping entrepreneurs in developing countries--what could be better?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:23 am

JudyJFLA figured this out way ahead of me. But hopefully they will hire me for it anyway! (Although it's just a volunteer position)
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Kiva has been chosen as one of four finalists in the Sam’s Club “Giving Made Simple” competition, for a chance to win a $1 Million dollar grant!

Winning $1 Million would be a huge deal for Kiva. With this grant, Kiva will multiply the impact by 10 by generating approximately $10 Million more in loans from the Internet community, to help 25,000 entrepreneurs in the US and around the world. As Kiva's most committed members, I'd like to enlist your help....we can't do this without you.

What can YOU do?

Sam’s Club Members:

1. Vote Daily: Between April 8th – May 2nd on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/samsclub?v=a...6015155&ref=ts) or Sam’s Club’s website (http://www2.samsclub.com/Giving/About/Kiva). There are only 25 days in this campaign, so your daily vote really matters!

2. Spread the Word: Tell all of your team members, friends, neighbors, followers and Kiva-lovers. Join the excitement by following Kiva on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/kiva) and @Kiva (http://twitter.com/KIVA) on Twitter.

Not a Member? We still need your help!

1. Spread the Word: Do you know a Sam’s Club Member? Send them this link to vote for Kiva (http://www.facebook.com/kiva). Share it on Facebook, Twitter, or forward this message.

2. Re-Tweet: On April 16 and April 30, Kiva will be tweeting about the campaign. If Kiva receives the most re-tweets on these days, Kiva will receive DOUBLE the votes casted that day.

Together we can change lives. Thank you for all of your hard work and continued support!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Can we take the total to 1000 loans in April?

As of 4/13 we are at 903 loans between 122 members. Is it to much to ask our community to increase the loans to 1000 by April 30th?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.