Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:11 pm

One of my main jobs is going to be updating journal entries about the borrowers, so maybe I will be meeting and interviewing some of the entrepreneurs you've just lent to!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, got some repaid lent money back - relent through MAXIMA.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Those who wish can keep up with giblet's excellent adventure here, and soon enough, on the Kiva Fellows pages. If we are fortunate, she will visit some of those in Cambodia we have lent to, and can read about her observations and their progress; how cool is that? ^

giblet will be looking forward to this kind of climate (summed up in three words - hot, wet, HUMID):

(Metric values)

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 22, 2010 at 7:40 pm Reason: add
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Finally picked some worthy causes and took the plunge tonight. Picked at least one MAXIMA and several that came up when searching for the term "bike".
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Finally picked some worthy causes and took the plunge tonight.
Thanks for joining us!

But it's really not much of a plunge. 98% of the money gets paid back and then you can re-loan it. I've only been burned once and that was for $25 so I think I'll survive financially.

The 15% tithe to Kiva Corporate, which I do on every loan, does eat into your capital and thus requires a refresh every so often.

But, by and large, I'm a huge supporter of micro-financing.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Welcome to the Team, Bikeguy!

I'm not flying much these days, but I sure am enjoying having some of my money fly around the world - 38 countries and counting.....
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Finally picked some worthy causes and took the plunge tonight. Picked at least one MAXIMA and several that came up when searching for the term "bike".
Welcome to the team and thanks for making a loan through MAXIMA!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
Thanks for joining us!

But it's really not much of a plunge.

The 15% tithe to Kiva Corporate, which I do on every loan, does eat into your capital and thus requires a refresh every so often.
Thanks for the welcome.

By plunge, I mean more trying a new website and signing up, rather than the money. I really am a creature of habit.

And thanks for pointing out the 15% was optional.

I didn't realize that! LOL!

Hence, my apprehension of new websites!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to lend out again

Loans are now being re paid:- time to lend out again ^.

Statistic Name FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 138
Number of Loans 1321
Number of Loans per Member 9.6
Total Amount Loaned $39,700

Will soon get to $40K. The FT Team on Kiva.

To add to a loan made by by others FTer's click FT loans here. It will list those still raising funds.

Subscribe to this thread using thread tools (top of the page). Or just click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Loans are now being re paid:- time to lend out again ^.

Number of Team Members 138
Number of Loans 1321
Total Amount Loaned $39,700
You can now update that to 1325 loans and $39,800 total amount loaned.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:06 pm

I just wanted to let you know that there's a Kiva event in SF tonight, if anyone is in the Bay Area.

Here are the details: http://www.kiva.org/blog/2010/07/06/...july-15th.html
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Good luck with that!

I've had enough loans come back to reloan again - and there are some loans which are expiring soon which still need lenders.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Good luck with that!

I've had enough loans come back to reloan again - and there are some loans which are expiring soon which still need lenders.
I don't. This morning I had 5 loans (1 for $100 and 4 at $25). This is not enough to give me a return which allows me to reinvest it. I made four additional loans ($25 each) today but funded them entirely from my credit card, leaving me with a balance of a little over $11.

I will probably keep investing $100 per month until I get enough loans going to be able to fund all new loans from them. However, even the $100 is less than I usually pay when I take the UIG out to dinner in Italy or Switzerland, and if I think of it that way it Kiva is actually a very minor expense for me.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Number of Team Members 139
Number of Loans 1335
Total Amount Loaned $40,000

1 new FTer join the team and 14 loans in the last 12 hours

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SMD2009 got some money back, but the balance is just 98.01$, so just 3 loans today, so 5 so far this month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.