Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value ticket - buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Value ticket - buyer beware

Finnair have silently raised the change fee for Value tickets. If you like me buy them with the notion of "I can always change it later" you may want to reconsider your ticket strategy. (If you buy them for the 100% points earning, then nothing changed so far)

On routes of interest to me the change fee on a value ticket has now gone from 50€ to 120€, a nice 140% price hike! I believe they still don't allow route change, so the 120€ is for just changing date/time of flight. Plus fare difference of course.

Cancellation penalty is still 25%, so for tickets below 480€ cancellation is financially a better option. Mind you, if you cancel and buy a new one, you are no longer tied to the same route (or Finnair, for that matter!) so cancellation may be the best option in even more cases.

On a side note, change fee for Business saver have been raised to 200€ (a meagre 33% raise, how will they survive?!)
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Which destinations? HEL-SIN is (still) 50€, HEL-HKG is a meek 30€... Meanwhile HEL-CDG got a yet another hike to 36€. So more than HKG. Figures.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
EU-HEL-Asia (Japan excl) is 120€ in the 5-6 searches I've done:
CPH-CAN, OSL-BKK, ARN-SIN and so on.

EU-HEL is 65€ change fee and 50% cancellation penalty, example ARN-HEL, PRG-HEL
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:51 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

HEL-ARN has 55€ change fee, so 10€ less than ARN-HEL.

So either they are in the middle of the update or they have launched a system where there are so many tiers of different change fees it is impossible to keep track of them.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat Basic
Thanks for the heads-up!

Seeing a constant 65€ on the intra-EU routes I normally tend to fly as well.

The sad part is that the lack of communication around it sounds just about right these days.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:22 pm
R2

Originally Posted by intuition
On a side note, change fee for Business saver have been raised to 200€ (a meagre 33% raise, how will they survive?!)
I noticed this too...however the change fee for the cheaper Business campaign fares is still €150, figure that.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by intuition

On routes of interest to me the change fee on a value ticket has now gone from 50€ to 120€, a nice 140% price hike!
I did not even check the change fee while buying, my value ticket to DEL has change fee 150€!!!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thumbs down

I guess AY really needs to hire a new director of communications!

Seems like ALL news is communicated to customers ATLEAST 14 days late
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Hmmm. Really bad news. Sounds like I have to start following the company policy and buy cheapest and buy new ticket if necessary.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:54 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lento
I did not even check the change fee while buying, my value ticket to DEL has change fee 150€!!!
Originally Posted by kauppias
I guess AY really needs to hire a new director of communications!

Seems like ALL news is communicated to customers ATLEAST 14 days late
Yeah, it is pretty badly done. First they market the ticket types, a bundling of services with names for easy recognition among customers. Then they alter the bundle without telling.

There has been no communication AFAIK. The new pricing is hidden when you purchase the ticket and you won't know it unless you click "Show me more about ticket types". And why would you do that when you have been taught for several years what the Value bundle is?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by lento
EU-BKK/PVG-EU in I (restricted business) comes also with a 150€ change fee.

(weirdly of the OTAs only priceline was able to book what matrix priced out)
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Which destinations? HEL-SIN is (still) 50€, HEL-HKG is a meek 30€... Meanwhile HEL-CDG got a yet another hike to 36€. So more than HKG. Figures.
Screw that. I was referring to the extra cost of Value from Basic/Light. I misunderstood the top post.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY Silver
Strangely the value ticket I just bought today for HEL-ARN-HEL in March is the same €55 change and 50% cancellation in both directions! As are the HEL-ZUR-HEL I'm looking at the week afterwards... From memory nearly all of my EU and non-EU SH flights recently have been this.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

It seems they have applied a tiered mode and different routes have different fees, based on what they think they can get away with on each market. It is not the flight segment that decides, it is the home country of the fare.
HEL-ARN-HEL is 55€ fee while ARN-HEL-ARN is 65€ fee.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AY Silver
Ah I see, I thought you meant the HEL-ARN leg was €10 less than ARN-HEL for a HEL-ARN-HEL, which wasn't what I was seeing... So Helsinki residents pay less than other EU countries for changes now? Strange!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.